close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CPU fans, is there one better then the other?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by alphacat, Jun 30, 2006.

1. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

I'm putting in a new Seagate 120gb drive in my 4 year old PC and thought I might as well order a new CPU fan while I'm at it, BUT, wow, there are so many different ones to chose from out there I'm not sure which one to buy...

Can anybody help me on this one?

edited to change age of pc from 6yr to 4yr, it's newer then I first thought.

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

6 years old? Well you probably have some sort of an old type latch system to clamp the fan down on the Mother board. My suggestion is to bring it to your nearest comp store and see if a fan can be attached to it.

3. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

Sounds like the way for me to go, thanks.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

What Socket/Slot is the motherboard?

IGF

5. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

Beats me. It has a Pentium 4 CPU in it.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Looks like there is a couple of different Pentium 4's...

Socket 478 or Socket 775

Does your PC have a model number?(like Dell, Compaq, Gateway, etc?). I'm not really familiar enough with Pentiums to know what they were doing 4yrs ago, as I prefer AMD.

Once you figure out which socket it is, its as simple as going to TigerDirect.com, Newegg.com, etc.,. and ordering one. Thermaltake usually makes pretty good ones.

IGF

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

One of the best around is from Zalman.

[​IMG]

These can be had in 90mm and 120mm sizes (CNPS7000 and 7700), and in aluminum/copper or pure Cu trim (pure copper pulls heat faster and dissipates it quicker too--but it weighs more.)

I use one in almost all my builds. The included kit will allow you to bolt it to most of the sockets on the market.

You do need to check their website to make sure it will fit your MOBO, but due to the function of blowing cool air laterally across the board (also cools the Northbridge, capacitors/FETs and RAM) this has been my first choice since their introduction.

They cost between $25 and $40 and are at least as efficient as the newer Zalman coolers on the market.

Best regards,

Eric

8. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

Wow! Thanks I went to Zalman's website and the little video they have showing the install is something else. It makes it look simple to me, now if I can only get the old one out as easy.

I ordered a 7700 from Newegg along with my other stuff.

The old fan inuse now seems to work ok but it is 4yrs old and has worn spots on the leading edge of the blades.

topcat