close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CPAT dummy drag question

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Glockenbang76, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Glockenbang76

Glockenbang76 Glockaholic

To all of those who have taken the CPAT....
    Is it faster or easier to drag the dummy with both or one hand?

I did it with both hands, walking backwards. It worked, but it seemed like I could've gone faster if I was walking foward.

Any thoughts?

2. D25

D25 The Quick

The first one that I took I did it with one hand, and was going forward, for the most part. For the second one that I did was equipped with a pretty heavy dummy, and I had to use two hands and go backwards. I don't think that there was a signifigant time difference between the techniques.

3. FlaFF

FlaFF

I'd say whichever method allows you to get as much of the dummy off the ground as is allowable is the better method.

The bigger question is-how'd you do?

FlaFF

4. jbcarr25

jbcarr25

If you can manage it, the best way I've seen is to get that dummy up as high as you can while leaning back slightly so you can rest as much of its weight on your chest as possible. This will allow you to walk backwards a lot easier (and faster!) than if you are trying to pull the weight on the ground. I've seen guys who aren't that big at all use this method with pretty good success, but what it really comes down to is what method is the most comfortable for you. If the department your testing with offers practice times go to them and try different methods until you find the one that works the best for you. Good luck with the test!!

5. Glockenbang76

I got 10 minutes flat. I would've been faster, but one of my shoes came untied half way through the test, and I got a little confused in the low crawl portion.

However, I will now double knot my shoes on test day (this thursday), and I also know what to expect in the low crawl.

FlaFF, I want to thank you and the rest of the glockers for your help with CPAT pointers over the last few months. The tips on prepping for the stair climb made my CPAT experience a positive one.

6. gloxter

gloxter

Just remember that if you took your CPAT test at an authorized center, your pass times are irrelevant, and confidential. A pass is a pass. That being said, you know what it'll take to pass. About 85% or more of the people that come through our Center drag it backwards holding both handles. Use whatever method works best for you, but don't get injured. Dragging it forward can cause a lot of strain on your back if you're "hunkered down". Best of luck to you on test day.

-gloxter :)

7. Glockenbang76

Gloxter,
    Thanks for your help.
    It's funny because I was concerned about taking this test. I'd be competing with younger, slimmer people who in my mind, would be in better shape. I trained for 3 months and lost 20 lbs while prepping for the test. Even with all the work, I still weigh in at 215. It was so weird to see some of these skinny, young kids unable to complete the course. One kid I thought was going to have cardiac arrest.

The proctor told me to eat carbs, drink lots of water, and not to work out before the test. I get the carbs and the water part, but what's the deal with not working out?

8. gloxter

gloxter

:rofl: Seriously, when the larger departments make the hiring announcements, the floodgates literally open with people spilling out over the dam who quite literally, just got interested in the fire service.

Just like you mentioned, there are people there who you wouldn't think upon first impression as able to pass...pass; and I've seen my fair share of people who by all outward appearances seem perfectly capable of passing, fail. Often it is due to lack of preparation, i.e. not going to ORIENTATION and PRACTICE. "Hey, man, it's no problem, I watched the video online once". Yeah, pal, it'll be a $250 day for you if and when you walk out with your course completion card after failing it the first time through.

Be confident in your ability to pass. You know what to do. You've been in the tunnel now. All right hand turns. No biggie. Keep moving and remember to smile for your CPAT card photo. Take care and let us know how your test went. Don't worry about the "competition".

-gloxter

9. FlaFF

FlaFF

Don't sandbag the test due to times being "irrelevant". My CPAT time was brought up in every interview I went on. Good job on passing it your first time through despite and "equipment malfunction". You should have nothing but confidence in your ability now, good luck!

FlaFF

10. gloxter

gloxter

When you stated that your times were the subject of each interview, were the times "asked" of you, or did you offer them to the interview board(s)? Or was it that the municipality HAD your times and said, "good job, we like to see sub-8 minute CPAT's?"

I'm very curious. I'll check with our state director, and/or senior staff regarding the release of such information. Just looking for info. It may be the difference between our states, tough to say. Is FL a right to work state?

Fraternally,

-gloxter:thumbsup:

11. Glockenbang76

Well, I took the CPAT today....
    I shaved off a whole minute from my time! I'm not sure where a 9 minute test time rates against the average, but I was real happy that I did well.

This time...
    -I double knoted my shoes, and they did not come undone.
    -I knew where I was going on the rescue portion.
    -I dragged the dummy with its head resting on my stomach. This gave me significantly more speed and took less effort.
    -When doing the breach portion, I held the shaft of the pike with my left hand while cupping the end with my right. This seemed to work way better than having two hands on the shaft of the pike.
    -I drank a ton of water prior to the test.
    -I stretched for a solid 20 minutes before.

Glox & FL, thanks for your pointers.

12. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

congrats, I take mine on Dec 7th.

13. CSNeoM4A1

CSNeoM4A1

Congrats!

I did mine about a year ago and got 8:28...but I am 21--young and full of energy!

14. FlaFF

FlaFF

I did mine about a year ago as well, got a 7:42, but I'm older than you and full of anger:supergrin:

My time was known to my interviewers without my having told them. It was explained to us that it was a pass/fail event and time would not be made available to the various departments. That wasn't the case, when I sat for the interview, but with a decent time like that, I wasn't unhappy it worked out that way.

FlaFF

15. Glockenbang76

I was told that 9 minutes is the average. However, I was competing against dudes who were in 2nd & 3rd grade when I graduated high school.

16. GaTo

GaTo De Pinga...

Hey guys another fellow Glocker/Future Firefighter here. Took the CPAT with Miami Dade County this past January. Anyone else take it around then? Anyone on the posted list?

17. furryrabbit

furryrabbit

Passed the CPAT today. Thought I wasn't at first; **** that stairmill. What I found funny was that I really only seemed to use my forearms and calves during the thing, nothing else. My forearms were so burnt on the dummy I dropped it for a quick second. Got the sledge in three though. I'm just stoked I don't have to do that damn thign again for a year.

18. Glockenbang76

I practiced weighted stair climbing for 3 months prior. I found that the stair climb wasn't too difficult. The dummy wasn't that bad, once I learned how to carry it correctly. I have heard that you should never stop during the dummy drag, because it takes a lot of energy to get the dummy moving again. I was also told to get the dummy torso past the barrel before making the turn back to the finish.

19. black rob

black rob

Squats, uphill lunges with a 50 pound pack, ruck runs, runs. All this for a sub 8 minute time. Used both hands on the 2 practice runs, then used the one hand method after recieving a tip...used one hand on CPAT...passed.

Use what works. People remember things...your CPAT time, who pukes, even the writing on your application.

20. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

I take mine day after tomorrow.

EDIT:

Passed. 9:11

Probably could have done better time wise, but the important thing was passing & not failing due to a mistake or warning infraction.
    That and at 36 I'm seven years older than the next oldest guy in my class & twice as old as the youngest!