CPAP Users; Have you Experienced this?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by CarryTexas, Nov 19, 2019.

1. CarryTexas

CarryTexas

I have been using a CPAP for about 5-6 years now and up until about 8 months ago I have never had any issues.

What is happening is that during the night I am accumulating lots of gas. So much so that it is painful and I can't sleep. I have to get up and move around for 10-20 mins until the symptoms go away.

I can only sleep for 5-6 hours max before it becomes too painful and by the time I walk it off, I am awake, so I am limited to that amount of sleep each night. I have seen my sleep doctor and they were no help. They reduced my pressure by a small amount and that didn't do anything.

If I sleep without my CPAP this doesn't happen, so I know that it at least a factor. However, then I wake up from APNEA. :dunno:

Before I make another appointment I was hoping that someone may have experienced this and could offer some ideas that I could share with my doctor?

2. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

I was prescribed a CPAP about 9 months ago. I lost 40 pounds which put me in the normal BMI range so I did a second sleep study. Turns out I still needed one. I didn’t have the “best sleep ever” experience when I started using it. Still don’t. I was sleeping good after having lost the weight. No I haven’t experienced issues with gas..

cbetts1 likes this.

3. glock_collector

glock_collector

Bonus: the wifey smells 'em and I don't......Never had your issues. I sleep 5-6 hrs like the dead..miss it when I go camping.

BOOSTED12A likes this.
  4. powernoodle

powernoodle

"Aerophagia occurs when air from a CPAP enters the esophagus and goes into the belly, rather than the airway and into the lungs. This can cause gas pains and distension of the stomach. It is common and can happen to anyone who uses CPAP. But when it becomes chronic, it’s a red flag, a symptom that can be overcome when the cause is properly determined."

https://www.sleepapnea.org/treat/cp...p-problems/aerophagia-causes-and-resolutions/

pgg00, PeterG and CarryTexas like this.
  5. rlawson

rlawson

I have used a CPAP for about 20 years now and have not had any issues.

6. powernoodle

powernoodle

I use a CPAP as well and have not experienced any problems. You might try elevating the head of the bed with a couple of books on each side, which is the universal curative for many nighttime ailments.

Or do like me, and starting using the mask on your hind crack instead of your face. The refreshing breeze makes you dream of a tropical paradise.

G26-Has-my-6 and CarryTexas like this.
  7. Lawdog3

Lawdog3 “Fast is fine but accuracy is final” Wyatt Earp

I have been on a CPAP for about 8 years. My pressure was really hi in the beginning. After loosing lots of weight the pressure was just too much. My Doctor turned it down and it really helped. Had another sleep study done a year ago since I lost so much weight he thought I might not need one. It turns out I do but I was due for a new CPAP. I now have one that he can set a min and max pressure. It will self adjust to what I need on any given night. It used to be set at 14 and now it averages around 6. Maybe your due for a new CPAP machine?? Good luck !

cbetts1 likes this.
  8. powernoodle

powernoodle

You can prolly search the interweb and hack your CPAP, which is allows you to adjust the pressure yourself. Worked for me. But I barely qualified for a CPAP, so its not really a life and death thing as it is with some people. I just got it to stop the snoring.

This is not medical advice. I don't know what I'm talking about in this or any other thread.

Walk Soft likes this.
  9. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

I've been using CPAP for years. I had the gas thing for maybe the first year. Also had a hiatal hernia which allowed the air into my stomach. But after that first year, the gas thing stopped on it's own. I will agree that it was painful but there was nothing like being able to sway the curtains 4 feet from the bed! -Good times!

FullClip likes this.
  10. sas-G19

sas-G19

I started with a CPAP about 10 years ago but I found that it blew me up like a balloon. My Doctor changed my equipment to a BIPAP and all is well. The BIPAP has a lower pressure for exhalation. Much, much more comfortable.
    -Steve

Lawdog3 likes this.
  11. ditto1958

ditto1958

I’ve used a bi-pap machine for about 7 years now. It gives me amazingly sound sleep. I’ve never experienced gas. It’s something I remember being warned to watch for. I’d get to my doctor ASAP and likely to another sleep study.

CarryTexas likes this.
  12. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

13. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A

I'm going on 5 years with mine, never had any more gas than I normally do.

14. paul45

paul45

[​IMG]

ditto1958 likes this.