GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
What is up with cpap outlets requiring a prescription for masks and hoses. Is this a legal requirement or are they just being dicks? I hate the idea of having to have another sleep study to replace my mask.
There is no reason to get a sleep study to order supplies your just needing to prove you had one at one time. The lab/Physician can send you a copy of your last one if you can't find it.

·
Registered
15,191 Posts
Lots of thoughts:

FWIIW I don't have SA instead the little flower shaped bones in my sinuses were broken when a horse kicked me in the face long ago resulting in.......A. I can't breathe through my nose B. I snore like a freight train with open-headers.

1. The notion posited above that allergens cause SA is nonsense. No question the buggers make it worse but come on.

2. I love the Philips machines for a lot of reasons chief among them is that I can set the thing to 1-20 my call. I've been at 9 for a long time. If I'm otherwise sick I'll bump it to 10. I turn of all the ramp and adaptive features except automatic turn on. The thing comes on at 9 and stays there. My neighbor has an identical machine and he loves the ramp and adaptive features.

3. Hoses, fittings and mask fittings ARE NOT fully standardized across brands.

4. As with Haldor...I'm a big melon-headed guy (7 3/4 hat size) and prefer medium masks - go figure. Once again Haldor is right on mask fit is 75% of the game. IMO this is why going to a shop for fitment is a big deal if you can possibly swing it.

5. Newbs.....the first night you strap in wear the thing all night. Force yourself to fight through it. A 5 setting will feel like a small tornado.....in a week you won't be sure the machine is on.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,208 Posts
There is no reason to get a sleep study to order supplies your just needing to prove you had one at one time. The lab/Physician can send you a copy of your last one if you can't find it.
My first sleep study (in 1998) was my last sleep study. I needed to replace my last CPAP this spring and my doc wanted me to do a sleep study before she would write me a scrip to replace it. Screw that, I bought a very lightly user model off of Craigslist for $130. It is the latest version of the same machine I had been using. I know how to program them. I have the service manual.

Totally scam. I have been using one for over 20 years. Its an air compressor. Exactly what are they protecting me from besides having too much money.

Are there any negative consequences to using a CPAP machine that I need to be worried about? Is there a concern I might be able to get too much sleep?

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,208 Posts
They didn't, or they lived with permanent mystery tiredness and other symptoms. It was only in recent decades that doctors became more aware of the problem.
I discovered I needed a CPAP when I woke up driving across a plowed field in my F150. At that point I decided I better get myself checked out.

Apnea is a causative factor in the following:
  • Weight gain.
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Type II Diabetes
  • Stroke
I have had all of the above.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,208 Posts
They are medical devices regulated by the FDA in the USA.
The hose and mask didn't use to be. I used to buy them from CPAP.com up until 2 years ago.

I go to Mexico pretty regularly. I guess I will stock up there from now on.

·
Pharaoh
34,535 Posts
I just order items for testing.

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
My first sleep study (in 1998) was my last sleep study. I needed to replace my last CPAP this spring and my doc wanted me to do a sleep study before she would write me a scrip to replace it. Screw that, I bought a very lightly user model off of Craigslist for $130. It is the latest version of the same machine I had been using. I know how to program them. I have the service manual.

Totally scam. I have been using one for over 20 years. Its an air compressor. Exactly what are they protecting me from besides having too much money.

Are there any negative consequences to using a CPAP machine that I need to be worried about? Is there a concern I might be able to get too much sleep?
Well if the pressure is incorrectly set it could cause problems. Too low and it doesn’t correct the problem. Too high and it could be uncomfortable, not sure what maybe weaken you muscle used to breath, since they wouldn’t need to work as hard, or really to high, I guess you could pop :burn:

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,208 Posts
Well if the pressure is incorrectly set it could cause problems. Too low and it doesn’t correct the problem. Too high and it could be uncomfortable, not sure what maybe weaken you muscle used to breath, since they wouldn’t need to work as hard, or really to high, I guess you could pop :burn:
Modern CPAPs are self titrating (self adjusting). They adjust dynamically to your breathing. CPAPs are really simple to use. There are other conditions that should be ruled out when an apnea diagnosis is made and a properly fitting mask is required to have any hope for long term success, but after that, there is no reason to further medicalize them. I have been using a CPAP for almost 24 years now. Guess how many times the doc changed the pressure setting of my CPAP. NEVER. It was set to 10 cmH2O (which is the default setting) when I got my first one and nobody has ever paid the slightest attention to this since.

I get why dangerous or miss-used medications should be prescription only. However that thinking does not apply to the vast majority of medicines. You may not be aware, but except in very rare cases, the drug maker decides if a drug should be prescription or not and that decision is often purely financial. That is why so many prescription drugs change status to over the counter as soon as their patent protection expires. For many drugs it is about maximizing revenue over the life cycle of the drugs.

·
Registered
900 Posts

Haldor, you are a pro!
The only thing you need is to watch your settings but if your sleeping fine, there is nothing you need to do!
That why I love the Full autos they read your sleep pattern and fine-tunes throughout the night. Also side sleeper back sleepers and stomach sleepers, the auto will compensate, the differences, and keep you sleeping. In truth, give me one of these and the sleep lab becomes unnecessary

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
Modern CPAPs are self titrating (self adjusting). They adjust dynamically to your breathing. CPAPs are really simple to use. There are other conditions that should be ruled out when an apnea diagnosis is made and a properly fitting mask is required to have any hope for long term success, but after that, there is no reason to further medicalize them. I have been using a CPAP for almost 24 years now. Guess how many times the doc changed the pressure setting of my CPAP. NEVER. It was set to 10 cmH2O (which is the default setting) when I got my first one and nobody has ever paid the slightest attention to this since.

I get why dangerous or miss-used medications should be prescription only. However that thinking does not apply to the vast majority of medicines. You may not be aware, but except in very rare cases, the drug maker decides if a drug should be prescription or not and that decision is often purely financial. That is why so many prescription drugs change status to over the counter as soon as their patent protection expires. For many drugs it is about maximizing revenue over the life cycle of the drugs.
There regular CPAPs, BiPAPs, and APAPs. Even some of the popular machines like the Resmed Airsense 10 are set to fixed pressure (mine is) even though they are capable of auto-titration. One should not assume that a machine is auto titrating. Also my doctor has adjusted my pressure. As you age or change weight, the pressure needed could change.

I am not sure why a prescription is required except for insurance, and maybe they want to monitor potential impact of sleep apnea. Doctors are generally against self treatment for some reason$.

·
NRA Life Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I pick up my machine next week. Cost covered by insurance for the most part...but I will touch base with Tommy at some point in the future....especially if a back up is needed.

Thanks everyone for the responses

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
If it's too low, the wife will let you know you are snoring.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts