Coyotes in Virginia WTF-Need Help

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by MatGlock, Nov 28, 2005.

1. MatGlock

MatGlock

I was down at the family farm hunting last Friday morning in Southwest Virginia. Just before first light I hear what I thought were a bunch of deer behind me. Then what looked like 3 dogs run out in a field in front of me. It was getting lighter and I realized they were not dogs and took this one with my Ruger 77 in 30-06 at about 110 yards.

Seems like we have a bunch of coyotes running around and I am concerned about their effect on our turkey and deer population. I have one of those giant 'have-a-heart' traps we are going to use to catch and execute some of these buggers with. Do you think that will work? If so what is the best bait? If that does not work what is the best way to hunt these suckers?

2. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

If I were you, I'd try to kill them all. They will destroy your turkey population as well as any deer they can get their teeth into. We have some in my area and they killed three of my neighbors Treeing Walker pups. The best way to get them is to use calls and just hunt them any time you get a chance.

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I'll bet you dollars to donuts if you spend a year killing coyotes you'll find more rat tails and rabbit fur than deer hide and turkey feathers in the bellies. If you want to help your game population, go shoot the developer that's tearing down a woodlot to build more suburbia. ;)

Casual hunting won't do much to the population. I've been hunting every day for the past couple weeks, making 1-3 stands a day. The fur is piling up and I've never strayed more than a few miles from my house. I like having coyotes around and I have no worries about there being more to replace the ones on the stretchers. I'll give these locals a rest for a week or so and move to another area to get pass throughs now that there's a real good nip in the air.

If you really want to put a dent on them you'll need to run a trap line, hunting along the way and run denning dogs when the pups are young. Then repeat every year.

I'm not trying to talk you out of hunting them, just setting some expectations. Coyotes have been trapped, shot from airplanes, poisoned and had bounties on them for years. The end result from 100 some odd years of persecusion... they've expanded in territory and grown in population. Where the wolf, bear, and lion caved, the coyote thrived.

As for the live traps. I have a dozen spread out around my place just to see what I can capture. I know I have coyotes on my property and I'm pretty darn sure one time or another they've come across a rabbit in one of the traps. A tempting meal for sure. I've yet to find a coyote in a live trap. I haven't really tried though, so take that with a grain of salt. If you want to trap them go with a foothold.

4. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I grew up in Bland county in SW-Va. We have had yotes for a long time. Used to have a $100 bounty on the suckers and it did not curb their population at all.

With that said, kill them all ;f Plus they are fun to hunt.

5. mrwiggins

mrwiggins lookout ladies

if you want an easy, but nasty way to reduce the population, get a mayo jar, and put some bacon greese at the bottom, the coyote sticks it's head in to lick the greese and it gets stuck and died. I wouldn't recomend this, it seems a little harsh to me, but if you get desperate, i guess you could do this.

6. MatGlock

MatGlock

I'm going to try the trap and try to hunt them some. Maybe get a calling tape. I am a little skeptical of the mayo jar, but may give it a shot anyway. I would love to see one running around with a jar on its head!

7. vafish

vafish

I came home to this the other night:

8. mrwiggins

mrwiggins lookout ladies

it works well from what i've heard. just get the big mayo jars. it's something strange to see i'll tell ya.

9. APOLLO

APOLLO IDPA Member

Yep, we have them here to in PA. I personally perfer to use a rocket launcher to exterminate them but the Game Commission kind of frowns on that idea. ;Q

10. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

A week or so ago, Pulaski County turned down a bounty program.

11. demilios4

demilios4

We have had turkeys for years on our farm up in Camp Douglas, WI. The last two years the coyotes have exploded and all of a sudden we have NO turkeys to hunt. We used to see turkeys any time we'd go in the woods.

This last yeat I was able to deer hunt and every morning I heard nothing but coyote yelps. So I have to agree with whomever said before that the yotes need to be "taken care of." We only got to take one of the buggers that ran across an open field. I would have liked to see a bunch of yotes try to cross the field at once.

:)

12. kalashnikovluvr

kalashnikovluvr

You could tie the jar to a tree and use it as a trap, just go out with your rifle and check them everyday, maybe you won't think this as "too harsh" b-cuz of the quick clean kill from the rifle. And does anyone know if I might get this problem in southern maryland? Or do we already have yotes here?

13. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

You may not have seen them yet, but they're there.

14. kalashnikovluvr

kalashnikovluvr

Does anyone know if there are any regulations/restrictions on hunting/killing coyotes in maryland(i.e. licence like for deer and waterfowl) or can I just shoot one when I see it? Also, if I am aloud to just kill'em, do I need to use a shotgun like for deer(dumb*** law in MD) or can I bring out the rifles?

15. GTIMANiac

GTIMANiac

You can get your fill of Yote killing info over here http://www.predatormastersforums.com/

AZ is covered with the boogers. They are known for killing gundogs that are not recovered before nightfall...