close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coyotes- .243 bullet selection

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by SandyGlock, Nov 18, 2002.

1. SandyGlock

SandyGlock

Can I get some recommendations from any experienced hunters on what type/grain of bullets to use on some poor coyotes with my new Savage .243? Also, any recommendations on what to go with for a deer with same rifle? Thx....;w ;I

2. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Well for predators I go with under 100 grains and for deer I go 100 grains and above. The .243 is a great deer rifle as long as you use the heavier grained bullets. As for the yotes and other predators, the vmax is a great round though can be a little tough on the pelt with the .243.... you might want to try some of these rounds out and see which one shoots the best in your gun...

Predator.....

- Hornady V-Max 58 grain
    - Remington V-Max 75 grain

Deer....
    - Federal Nosler partition 100 grain
    - Hornady BTSP 100 grain
    - Winchester Power Point 100 grain

good luck to ya'

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Man what fond memories....!
    I used to have a remington model 788 bolt action. they don't make that particular model anymore, with the three shot detachable magazine. Killed more coyote's with it than you could shake a stick at. Also pick off a tom turkey at some unbeliveable distances as well.

BIG PS... Don't ever let anyone tell you it ain't good enough for deer. Is there a better gun for deer? perhaps. But if you make your shot count, and place it right.. the 243 and 6mm, (being about equal), are real tack drivers... wish i would never have traded mine to my cousin. :(

The above mentioned loads are good too. Good hunting!

CanyonMan

4. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I'm with Canyonman... I have a 6mm Rem and a couple of .243 Win in my arsenal. They are inherently accurate. It must be the .240 caliber bullets. I just bought another .243 last week.

I've shot many deer with 24 caliber rifles. I used to have an open field stand where I used 85gr Sierra hollow point boattails. When they hit a deer you could hear the smack a mile away!

I use 100 gr for deer now. I much prefer the results on deer to the larger calibers.

If you plan on long-range shots at coyotes I would use t he 100gr bullet. I think it has better sectional density and will perform better down-range - even thought it is heavier.

Oh - the 6mm is a Ruger M77 (old model). It is more accurate than it has a right to be. I have a pre-64 feather-weight Model 70 Winchester in .243 and a Model 100 Win (post-64/autoloader) in .243. I'm looking for a minty pre-64 M100 in .243. I wish I had an AR in .243 too.