close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coyote hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by wprebeck, Jul 9, 2003.

1. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

My buddy and I are thinking about going to do this sometime in the near future....Any tips, as neither of us has ever been out for coyote, would be appreciated. Got a weird tip from another guy I work with, in regards to calling them in.
    Keep in mind, I haven't done this, but it does sound interesting at the very least. Whether or not it works, I don't know. This guy told me he used to go out for coyotes, and would "call" them in by using the following method: Get some chicken wire, a chicken, and some chicken feed/water. Make a enclosure for the chicken using the wire, place the chicken inside. Put the food and water outside of the enclosure so the chicken can't get to it. He said the chicken would get to making a lot of noise, and this would attract the coyotes. Anyone think this works?

2. hcook

hcook

It might work, but it might also be construed as baiting by your DFW. Consult your state hunting rule book before doing it.

Good luck however you decide to do it!

3. davesglock30

davesglock30

theyalso sell electronic callers for coyotes that sound like different animals like a wounded rabbit and stuff. i'd imagine the chicken thing would work too but like hcook said i'd check with game commision first to make sure it's not considered baiting.

4. Backstop

Backstop

There are so many ways to get a 'song dog' there isnt room here to cover them. Different methods work at different times. The one constant seems to be that you need to use some type of call, howler, wounded rabbit etc... in order to locate the animals. They have keen eyesite and sense of smell and aren't often fooled the same way twice.
    first think i'd do is find out what has been their meal of choice in the area then try your damndest to sound like it!

5. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Might work. If you want some good reading on the subject of hunting yote's take a look here.... Bill's Coyote Page Bill has done a good job of giving you a head start on hunting these critters. A good coyote call doesn't call much usally around $20.00 or less take a look at http://www.allpredatorcalls.com For a "production" model the Lohman Circe is a good choice in medium range. It's easy to use and works quite well, mine has called in eveyrthing from foxes to bears ;g Not a good thing when your using either 12 guage 000 or a small 22 centerfire ;f

6. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Stick with closed reed calls for now. Open reed calls are an art form that take a lot of practice.

You don't necessarily need to be all that good at calling to get them in. The key is distress. It's not like using a duck call. There are some good videos out there that show how it's done.

Camo and use of cover is really important if you're hand calling. The coyote's eyes and ears will radar in on the call. You don't necessarily need to be decked out in expensive camo, but a face mask, hat and gloves are a must if you're fair skinned like myself. Pale white hands flapping around a call will get their attention in a bad way. I picked up some army surplus camo for about $15 for pants and a parka. Then I turned the parka into a homemade guille suit. Has worked very well for me.

7. MI10mm

MI10mm

8. lwt210

lwt210

I loved hunting them and there were so many of them in rural South AL that I didn't have to use calls. I just set up with my Remington 700 varmit rig and took them out at long distances. They were my favorite varmits to hunt.