Cowboy pistol question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by s&wfan, Apr 3, 2020.

1. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

:agree:

Great Post. I had never seen a Bill Jordan video until just now. I feel like I wasted a lot of you-tube time. Thanks for the posting!!

treg and Caver 60 like this.
  2. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

My Vaqueros. The top 3 are 44 magnums and the bottom is a New Vaquero in 45 Colt/ACP convertible. The top two are within two numbers of each other. One ends in 6 and the other ends in 8.

Vaqueros.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Nestor, Bus007, NoJoy and 3 others like this.

3. CBennett

CBennett

What Berto said...The Ruger is a modern day look SIMILAR to that old cowboy style..pretty cool gun.. The Uberti without getting a original is about as close as you can get to a replica of a Colt SAA without spending big $$$$

Ive decided when I do this im gonna go with as close to a Colt SAA as I can get a local place carries all these which is also nice. im 95% sure I want a cartridge revolver when I get one but I LOVE the look of those old Walkers and Navy BP pistols...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    NoJoy likes this.
  4. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Single action revolvers are close second on my list of the most beautiful handguns ever made. Especially 1873 with 5.5" barrel. Something about it is just right to my eyes. Yet...I never owned one. Just placed a bid on Ruger Single Six with 4.6" barrel on the auction. Not as pretty as 1873, much more modern...but if I won't get it....I may start saving for one of these beauties. Pietta suppose to be making a decent stuff these days, especially the models without the transfer bar are getting quite popular. Rugers are just way too expensive for a recreational handgun in my book.

FullClip likes this.
  5. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

The Uberti website lists both Cattleman and Cattleman II (retractable firing pin) models. I guess they haven't updated their website in 4 years.
    https://www.uberti-usa.com/1873-single-action-cattleman-revolvers

retractable firing pin version
    https://www.uberti-usa.com/1873-cattleman-ii-revolver

6. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

The Super Blackhawk grip is a variation of a plowhandle grip but it isn't the same as what was first named plowhandle, the 1873 Colt SAA. The SBH grip is larger and is more like the earlier Colt Dragoon grip or the 1860 army grip.

This is just speculation, but it could be that back in the 1860's and 1870's, people on average were actually smaller back then, and the 1860 and the Dragoon grips might have been a little large for most people. The 1858 Remington had a smaller grip than any of the Colts at the time.

So when the 1873 peacemaker was designed it was made with a smaller grip. And that smaller grip, regardless of the plowhandle shape which allows the gun to roll back in your hand, is not as effective as a larger grip which gives the hand more to hold onto and distributes the recoil over a larger surface which is what the Bisley grip is supposed to do because it's larger and it's also supposed to reduce muzzle flip which is what the plowhandle grip is supposed to allow.

And in guns like the 475 Linebaugh any muzzle flip might be too much to handle and that's probably why the Bisley grip is preferred in those guns.

I've owned a couple of Super Blackhawks, both 7 1/2 and 5 inch, and even the SBH has it's limits with the hottest loads and a lot of people complain about the back of the finger guard hitting their middle finger.

But a friend of mine has a 10 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk and I got him some of the Buffalo Bore 305 gr. L.B.T.-L.F.N. (1,325 fps/M.E. 1,189 ft. lbs.) 44 mag loads and we both tried out a couple of those loads in his gun. And I was amazed that with the long heavy 10 1/2 inch barrel, those loads were manageable with the Super Blackhawk grip where less powerful loads in my 7 1/2 inch barreled SBH were not.

And in my 6 1/2 inch 41 magnum standard Blackhawk with the smaller Plowhandle grip, regular 210 grain magnums are bout the limit I could handle and I won't even think about shooting the Underwood 265 grain wide flatnose 41 magnum loads or any hot heavy bullet reloads until I put a Super Blackhawk grip on the gun.

The underwood load drives the 265 grain bullet at 1350 fps for 1072 ft. lbs of energy.

ithaca_deerslayer, Berto and Caver 60 like this.
  7. Filhar

Filhar

Pietta's, very similar to 2nd gen Colts. Call EMF. I've done much better getting guns from them.https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/emf-videos.asp

8. Berto

Berto woo woo

I think in addition to what you said, the handgunner of the 19th century was still a duelist, and the plow handle lent itself to the one handed point and shoot philosophy- and did well from the hip too.

9. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Just got myself a Vaquero birdshead in 45 acp. A gift from Mrs Dood actually.

Haven't owned a SA in around 15 years. Wanted durability and a somewhat inexpensive caliber option. 100% range toy.

It'll be the first one on the line when our imprisonment ends however. :)

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  10. bac1023

bac1023

They are definitely beautiful

Nestor likes this.
  11. NoJoy

NoJoy

53E8730B-BCFB-4443-9E42-2AE81ACBD30A.jpeg Anybody have a Uberti in 44-40? I’m thinking about getting a 1875 Remington replica from Taylor’s & Company.

12. jr24

jr24

Wife bought a stainless Vaquero on a whim because it was "pretty" (I tried to get her to go Blackhawk, but she'd have none of those adjustable sights). She shoots it really well and loves it.

I started shooting it and mentioned I might just use it as a woods gun.

So she bought me my own as a surprise, to stop me from scratching up her gun.

13. Terry G

Terry G

Do those .45 ACP cylinders need to be fitted? I like the New Vaquero in .45 Colt, but I would be very happy with a .45 ACP cylinder as well.

14. collim1

collim1

My cowboy pistols:

[​IMG]

I figure the average Joe back then was probably shooting blackpowder or conversions long after the cartridge guns came along just because of the cost.

I love shooting round ball.

redrick likes this.
  15. Benello

Benello

CF5005E6-9C9E-472C-ACF1-FACA5F7BB1A2.jpeg I love cowboy guns, about as much as I love my semi autos. There is just something more about the entire experience with single actions. I actually kinda enjoy the loading and unloading.

For me, since I don’t compete in cowboy action shooting, I shoot mine slowly—one handed even, savoring the moment rather than slinging down lead as fast as I can with my striker guns. I’ll agree that the Vaquero is not a faithful SAA copy, but it’s a great shooting and robust gun.

I have one in stainless in of course 45 Colt. I put aftermarket faux ivories on it and it just looks so clean. Like my old toy Cowboy guns when I was a kid. Been thinking of actually getting some engraving on it, but something else always comes up.

As nice as the Ruger is though, I’ve always wanted a Colt. After a couple years looking without success, last spring I finally found a genuine NIB Colt SAA in the configuration I wanted. It’s chambered in 45 Colt and has the 5.5” barrel, with color case hardened frame. And the case colors are beautiful on it IMHO, compared to many I’ve seen. The four clicks is so satisfying it makes me wish my Vaquero had this feature.

Eventually I’d like to find another Colt in 357, maybe a 4 and 5/8 barrel. They are expensive though! 9C633E4C-D694-4AE7-81F6-BFCD6840F993.jpeg

16. s&wfan

s&wfan

No, you just pop the .45 Colt cylinder out and put the .45 ACP cylinder right in there.

Terry G likes this.
  17. Terry G

Terry G

Thank you. I was told you had to return the gun to Ruger to have it fitted.

18. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Also, the heaviest recoiling cartridge back then was an 800 fps Black powder 45 Colt.

19. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

Wow, really? I understand that with the cylinders that are sold together with the revolver, but you can just buy any separate New Vaquero .45 ACP cylinder and drop it in without fitting or timing it? That’s some incredibly tight tolerances and QC Ruger must be employing.

20. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

If it's not the cylinder that came with the gun, some fitting would most likely be required. Ruger might even do this for you. It wouldn't cost anything to ask them.