Cowboy pistol question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by s&wfan, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

I had Rugers (nothing wrong with them, I liked their convertible models) and sold them off and bought Colts. I got a 357 Magnum to shoot 38 Special. I am a reloader so I had to get a 44 Special and a 45 Colt. Nothing wrong with shooting pretty guns. :cowboy:

2. Terry G

Terry G

Colt SAA Nickle plated safe Queen. Ruger New Vaquero, shoot the heck out of it. Not in SASS, I just love the .45 Colt cartridge and the 7 1/2 inch Cavalry barrels.

Attached Files:

Gray Dood, Bus007 and FullClip like this.

3. Berto

Berto woo woo

20181201_151757.jpg
    I misspoke then if the SBH isnt a 'plowhandled' grip. I have the NM Bisley flattop in .44sp (4.6") and a .44mag SBH in 7.5" (in addition to several other SA Rugers, including the NM Vaquero Montado .45) and I find the Bisley .44sp loaded with hotter ammo like BB 255gr to slap the hand worse than the SBH using full power ammo, which 'rolls up'....or the Montado for that matter.
    I love the Bisley, dont get me wrong, but the grip shape *to me* is similar in recoil to a DA revolver like my 629, whereas the SBH and Montado transfer the recoil into rotation vs straight back.
    I'll be shooting both again in a few days (in Mattawa/Desert Aire) over the chrono.
    Also, while I like the HSM ammo, the 'bear loads' IME are weak sauce velocity wise.

4. GWG19

GWG19

Ubertie’s will do just fine. I ran a pair in 38-40 for just over two years with no issues. Currently have a pair Cimarron El Malo’s again no issues and these happen to very smooth out of the box.

5. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I have a Marlin 94 and Winchester/Miroku and LSI/Rossi 1892's in 44 magnum.

I know some serious SASS competitors use the 94 and have short stroke kits on them, but most shooters I've seen seem to prefer the 1873 even though they are more expensive. Probably because they are easier to work on.

My go to woods gun is the Marlin 1894 just because it is more comfortable to shoot though the 1892's carry easier. For an outdoor carry gun, I don't see much reason to carry a 38/357 in a rifle or handgun when the 44 is available.

6. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

But the 5.5 inch barrel is more accurate because you can get the muzzle 7/8" closer to the target.
    Whenever you miss, it's usually within an inch anyway. :cowboy:

'Ol Grandad, NoJoy and Berto like this.
  7. redrick

redrick

Not unless they reversed coarse . All their new production SSA revolvers starting in June of 2016 have the retractable firing pin , including Cimarron and Taylor’s , Uberti imports .

NoJoy likes this.
  8. SargeMO

SargeMO

I've handled a couple of new Ubertis with the retracting firing pin and they had surprisingly good triggers for a SA you can load full-up.

9. redrick

redrick

I like to carry mine like the original . If I wanted to carry 6 rounds , I would get the better SAA revolver , the Vaquero . The only appeal the Uberti had was the action was more like the C . O . L . T .

I know most of us are not going to rely on it to save our lives . But knowing it has a firing pin that moves in and out does not give me a good feeling . There are reports of them failing in cowboy action shooting .

Bus007 likes this.
  10. bac1023

bac1023

The Ruger is a SA revolver, not a SAA revolver. The action is the whole point. That’s what makes a SAA a SAA.

11. redrick

redrick

You are right and so is Uberti . Only Colt makes a single action army revolver and I don’t think they are making them now . I looked for a Colt before I bought my Uberti Smokewagon years ago and could not find a new 5.5” model and haven’t seen one since . All others are just replicas . Uberti use to be a closer replica than Ruger , not now with the RFP . Even USFA was a replica of the Colt SAA , even while made in the old Colt factory and on the same machines from what I read . They went under right at the time i was looking for a Colt SAA .

12. glock_collector

glock_collector

Not to hijack....few years ago, in northern MN, got to see a couple world record cowboy shooters, shooting wax rounds....I'm not real interested in cowboy action shooting, but their demo was frikin super cool!! I could see how easy it would be to get hooked, the younger crowd was so amazed, great showman and crowd pleasers.

13. Critch

Critch

I have the Uberti Chism in 45 Colt...great revolver, I would suggest you get the new model that you can safely load 6 rounds in.

14. bac1023

bac1023

There’s a big difference between an actual SAA clone and a Ruger.

That’s my point.

Yes, USFA is a clone, but nicer than any actual Colt SAA I’ve ever owned, shot, or handled

15. redrick

redrick

I think most people know that a Vaquero is not a SAA and it is Ruger’s copy . My point you knew what I was talking about .

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  16. bac1023

bac1023

You do, but I’m not so sure most do.

Anytime someone asks about buying a SAA or a clone, the Vaquero comes up.

17. Terry G

Terry G

Quit picking on my Vaquero. A Shooter and a Safe Queen. IMG_3709.JPG

Gray Dood and FullClip like this.
  18. bac1023

bac1023

They are good guns Terry.

Like I said, they just aren’t SAA clones.

19. gamecocks

gamecocks

Wish I had been around to see Bill Jordan put on a show like that. The man who we have to thank for the S&W model 19 was as quick as they come.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q3YUqn2c8ss

20. tuica

tuica

What red-blooded American guy, or gal, doesn’t want a western shootin’ arn? About six years ago, I found a slightly used New Vaquero with a 45 Colt, and 45 ACP cylinder. What a way to ride, podner. Good luck in your decision.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Gray Dood and FullClip like this.