Cowboy pistol question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by s&wfan, Apr 3, 2020.

1. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I shot SASS for 10 years at my old club in Ohio. I also used Ruger Vaqueros.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  2. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Safe queens won't need customer service, competition guns can be used and abused.

3. bac1023

bac1023

If you’re going to use and abuse it constantly, I don’t recommend a SAA clone at all. Best to get a Ruger.

Kind of crude, but they take a lot of abuse.

Outside of competition, I don’t understand the Vaquero at all. If you want a SAA, get one. If you want a strong SA revolver, the Blackhawk is the way to go. I don’t really get guns that try to look like something they aren’t.

Rank Stranger likes this.
  4. Bluescot

Bluescot

Many years ago I had two Cimmarron 45Colts and both were a POS. They only thing worse than the quality of those two was dealing with their CS. Sent one back twice for a free wheeling cylinder and got it back with a note that said "Within specs". I replaced so many parts in them that they became 1/2 Colt.

I was in SASS for a short time and found out that the competitive shooters drifted towards 38 Specials and even 327 Mags. These were loaded with 90g slugs traveling about 600-700 fps to minimize recoil for the real competitive shooters. Some of the originals SASS shooters here have left the SASS due to it's heightened competitive nature and getting tired of super low velocity rounds.

I bought 3 of the Old Ruger Vaqueros then, two in 45 Colt and one in 44Mag. These were very robust and larger frames than the original Colt Single Actions. The 44Mag and one of the 45Colt shooters are in the Bisley frames both Stainless. Now that I don't shoot SASS I'm glad to have bought what I did as they are very practical now and can handle max loads.

As others have said, if you want to be competitive it would be a .38 or even a .327Mag. If you wanted something that would work as a SASS shooter and also as a modern SA get the Ruger. As you know Ruger CS is outstanding.

5. bac1023

bac1023

I agree with this. If you want to compete, get a Ruger. Not sure the OP wants to compete.

Sounds like he wants a SAA.

6. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Yes, Vaquero is the easy answer. Or a Blackhawk.
    Yes, it will be a shooter (ignore the fetishists).
    Yes, get a .357 and shoot .38 spl as much as you can.

If you do get a .45, be sure to get a convertible because .45 acp is more affordable and available, and you clearly want a shooter, not a safe queen. Visit some SASS matches and maybe you can try before you buy.

7. SargeMO

SargeMO

I've had near a dozen Ruger SAs, mostly Vaqueros & Blackhawks in 45 Colt with the occasional Single Six and Super Blackhawk thrown in. They're good robust revolvers that generally shoot OK; but I've never been able to love them or keep one around long. The only one I wish I'd kept was a '76 Super that would keep a cylinder full of 240 Federal JHPs in 2" at 50 yards... but I was young and thought they'd all shoot like that. Later, I had a blue 5 1/2" 44 Redhawk that did.

Their 44s are usually great. Ruger has screwed up 45 Colt throats for so long that a cottage industry exists to correct them. The triggers on their transfer bar guns range from usable to awful. I've never really gotten used to loading a single action w/o putting it on half-cock. If I ever get another cartridge SA revolver, it'll load like Sam Colt intended.

Now this one, I've fallen in love with. Shoots well enough to keep rabbits out of the garden, too.

[​IMG]

8. bac1023

bac1023

I shoot both of my USFA’s. The SAA might not be as strong as a Ruger, but it’s been around for 150 years. You can shoot them plenty if you get a good one.

Blackhawks are great, but they certainly aren’t “cowboy guns”, which is what the OP is referring to. If he really wants a cowboy gun, the SAA is really the only option.

9. Dave514

Dave514

On topic question, I handled a number of Taylors&Co. models and they felt like butter. Yet I never hear them mentioned in these six shooter discussions. What gives?

Rank Stranger and NoJoy like this.
  10. John_AZ

John_AZ

Taylors is the importer. I think they are Uberti if I’m not mistaken

Rank Stranger and Dave514 like this.
  11. bac1023

bac1023

They are Uberti, just like several others

Dave514 likes this.
  12. Bluescot

Bluescot

I thought that Ruger discontinued the 44MAG when the New Vaquero came out and the only supply of Ruger Vaqueros in 44MAG where with the Old model.

Where did you find that beauty?

13. sas-G19

sas-G19

It is through TALO distributors, model 10596.
    -s

NoJoy likes this.
  14. ScotchWhisky

ScotchWhisky HEMIs, guns, and booze

Your great grandkids can hand the Ruger down to their grandkids.

jr24, Rank Stranger and orangejeep06 like this.
  15. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

Very true. I was at our club shooting plates a couple weeks ago and one of the regulars has a 45colt. He gives me the brass as he doesn't reload. He told me the Winchester ammo he bought was $49.99 for a box of 50 rounds. That’s just ridiculous for a lead cowboy action round.

redrick likes this.
  16. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

When the new smaller framed Vaquero came out, Ruger continued to build the 44 mag with the larger frame and cylinder. That's why the bird's-head model has a grip that looks out of proportion to the frame.

Bluescot likes this.
  17. bowzette

bowzette

The Model P needed work. One cylinder was too tight and POI/POA was signif
    The issues I experienced were not with the "design" but with the "execution". Not a problem with the Evil Roy as the expert gunsmith worked that one over extremely well. But no more off the shelf Cimarrons for me. YMMV

Bluescot likes this.
  18. s&wfan

s&wfan

I do not want to compete. I want to do some plinking and maybe slap it on my hip when I go walking around on country roads. I may end up with a Blackhawk, because I don't see Vaqueros with longer than 5.5" barrels and I kind of want a 7.5" barrel.

dbuck47 and orangejeep06 like this.
  19. s&wfan

s&wfan

The big problem with a SAA is that if I get one, I'll have to get two. I will want to safe queen one so that it stays purdy. That's a lot of money.

jr24 and orangejeep06 like this.
  20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Mine are also .44 Magnum. One is the old model and the other is the recent birdshead New Vaquero .44 Magnum.

Bluescot likes this.