Cowboy pistol question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by s&wfan, Apr 3, 2020.

1. scattershot

scattershot

Ye
    yessir, that’s correct.

2. gamecocks

gamecocks

This is still correct as far as I know. It is why I got a Pieta over an Uberti last year, an EMF Californian. Maybe a silly reason, but I wanted something as close to the old SAA as I could find. The 4 clicks do just sound right.

John_AZ and redrick like this.

3. sas-G19

sas-G19

When I went to scratch the cowboy gun itch, I went with the S.S. Ruger New Vaquero in 44 Magnum. I had the reloading equipment already for 44 Special so it made sense to me. I love it, quite the shooter with all loads from mild to wild.
    -s ss ruger new vaquero 44mag.jpg

4. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Do you want a pretty, authentic, safe queen, or would you rather have an actual shooter?
    If it appears that more S.A.S.S. shooters use Rugers than all other brands combined, might there be a reason?

View: https://youtu.be/YWGznKMA-hE

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  5. Bus007

Bus007

I think this is what your asking about, its a 45. I only have a 100 rounds through it. I really like it, fairly cheap and so far its always worked.

4A5C86C6-37B3-4F9D-AAAB-F04CA81A05CC.jpeg

6. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

I got a uberti "factory demo" in 45 colt. around 300 bucks, handled but unfired. Shoots great. The ruger is higher quality, but i bought a range toy for giggle and i appreciate the cost savings.

Bus007 likes this.
  7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I had a Ruger old army cap and ball. That I traded. (Dang)
    Picked up Ruger Vaquero, Bisley in SS .45 LC.
    I should have gotten dies for it. $$$ to shoot. Tried sass with single shot 16 gauge. It was billed as practice get together. Well my Monkey Wards break open 16 wasn’t allowed because it ejects the hulls. You needed 2 revolvers, a lever action, and two shotgun rounds.
    I asked if I could just reload revolver, shoot 2x pistol, lever action with pistol. A gent said “since you wore boots, not tennis shoes you can borrow my guns”. So spare revolver (iirc Vaquero) lever action, double barrel.
    Timer went off. (I had watched, learned stage watching others) do I went thru slow.). Time didn’t matter. Shot the 2 groups of 5 on steel, lever action, missed 2nd shotgun as I didn’t know to switch trigger. (Clay pigeon released by first blast)
    I was careful picking up, returning them to mat for long arms.
    The guy was upset. (I thought he was joking) “it’s not right to show up a man with his own guns your first time”. But he was ticked. That I cleared every target but one smoothly. The pistol targets were 5” furtherest maybe 25’ lever action not 30’ 5” targets. Of course the others laughing maybe didn’t help. I tried to find a .45lc lever. But $$$$

Rank Stranger, NoJoy and smith10 like this.
  8. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I think the original vaqueros had a larger frame and did not have the same feel as the colt clones. the newer ones are closer to the original colts but have more durable lockwork.

I had an older Uberti SAA in 357 magnum and was surprised to find how much heavier it was than my brother's Cimarron "Evil Roy" Made by Uberti.

That is because the outside diameter of the barrel and the cylinder are the same but the inside diameter of both the 357 magnum bael and chambers are much smaller which makes for a heavier gun. Subsequently, the 45 chambered SAA's have a nicer balance.

The Cimarron "Evil Roy also comes with a tuned action And I consider it the best of the Colt clones
    Instead of a transfer bar or safety, these guns are available with a hammer that does the forum clicks but one of the clicks is a quarter-cock position which positions the hammer back so the firing pin can't touch a loaded round allowing the shooter to carry six rounds/

These guns are available in both Blued/case hardened and stainless.

9. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

What is the plan for it? Looker>shooter or shooter>looker? Gonna play cowboy? Want a companion rifle and a caliber not everyone has? Go .44/40. You could even get it in a Schofield.

10. redrick

redrick

I will add this , the price of 45 colt might make you want to consider getting it in .357/.38 or reloading . That is why I started reloading .

orangejeep06 likes this.
  11. redrick

redrick

All new Uberti saa revolvers have the retractable firing pin from what I was told by a Uberti CS rep. .

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  12. John_AZ

John_AZ

I got an EMF Californian (Pietta). I wanted a half cock loader with hammer mounted firing pin (although spring loaded). Accurate gun, no need to file the front sight. I got 357 because I reload 38/357 already. Case hardening finish isn’t the best I’ve seen. But it’s a decent gun.

Next replica is going to be a Schofield I think

1C36DDA8-996C-4A25-B865-E56097246208.jpeg

13. dbuck47

dbuck47

If you are not a stickler for authenticity, I would go with the Ruger. They are great shooters, and the action parts are very robust.

If you want a Colt, you might consider a lightly used one. You will probably save 15-25%, and won’t feel bad about shooting it.

.45 Colt is a lovely round. Most factory ammo is .80 to $1 or more per round; you can save 75% or more by reloading. It is worth getting into if you shoot .45 Colt; actually pays for the investment in a simple setup pretty quickly.

The Ruger is frequently available from various distributors with an extra cylinder in .45 ACP. I don’t know how familiar you are, but swapping cylinders is a 5 second operation.

orangejeep06 and Bus007 like this.
  14. billorights

billorights

Uberti was one of the first to make replica Colts. They made cap and ball revolvers too. I have had a SAA, (one more I should have kept) and an Army 1860. They are probably even better made than Colts. If you find an old Navy Arms revolver, it was probably made by Uberti too as Val Forgett was among the first to have replicas built in Italy.
    Beretta owns Uberti now.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  15. SK2344

SK2344

When I shot SAS many years ago, I had two original colts, one was third gen with a 5 1/2" and the other was a 2nd gen with the 7" barrel and these were the best and most accurate shooting SA guns I have ever had. I retired and sold both these guns for a good profit but if I ever had to go back to shooting in SAS, I would go with the RUGER for quality! I agree that there are some very good Italian Clones out there but there are also some that are not so good so the choice is yours but I would choose the RUGER!

orangejeep06 likes this.
  16. TexasVine

TexasVine

I shot a set of SASS Ruger Vaqueros competitively for years. Very robust and built like a tank. For competition I preferred the Rugers. I ave an appreciated for the "4 click" Italian copies but for range shooting would trust the the Rugers over the long haul. As far as caliber, I recommend 357/38. The 38's are much more pleasant to shoot at the range than the 45's also less expensive.

17. bac1023

bac1023

If you want the best SAA clone, grab a USFA off Gunbroker. Not cheap, but worth it. They are better finished, more refined, and flat out higher quality than any others I've owned, shot, or handled. That's includes several Colts.

Also, if you want the feel of an authentic Single Action Army, you won't be satisfied with a Vaquero. They are nothing of the sort. Get an Italian clone. If you want to spend some money, get a USFA.

Here are mine in 38 Special and 45 Colt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  18. bowzette

bowzette

I suggest you check into the quality of CS between these guns. I have/had two Ruger Vaqueros in .357 (Bisley and Birdshead) and two Cimarron (Evil Roy and Model P) in .357. IMO Ruger has the best CS in the business. Cimarron CS was a disaster and I sold the Model P as a result and will never buy another Uberti/Cimarron again. The fit, finish, feel of the Evil Roy is great and has been well gunsmithed so is a safer bet than the standard Uberti, Cimarron, or Taylor. But I can't over-state what a PITA dealing with Cimarron CS was. The custom gunsmith Cimarron uses is only a 2 hour drive for me and from speaking with him seemed very knowledgeable and a nice guy to deal with if you cut past Cimarron.

Bluescot and Bus007 like this.
  19. bac1023

bac1023

How much CS do you need?

The design has been around 150 years.

Gray Dood and John_AZ like this.
  20. Filhar

Filhar

Go to a Match, talk to people. You will probably buy different guns as your interests change and you want to try different classes. It is NOT an Internet thing. Cowboy shooters love to talk about their guns. Watch a Match and then talk afterwards. Personally, I like my Piettas and I've been shooting SASS for close to 25 years. Used guns are for sale all the time and usually a bargain. You can go to www.sassnet.com and look at Forums. You should be a member to buy guns. Then sellers can follow up if there's a problem.