COVID 19 - Thoughts from a frontline doc

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by PicardMD, Mar 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. knoxvegasdaddy

knoxvegasdaddy UBER VOL !!!

very informative, thanks much Jean Luc!

and thanks to Russ and the Mod Crew for your message too. Infighting is stupid at a time like this.

Cubdriver and Mister Clean like this.
  2. The Father

The Father

No thank god.. but dad all these people that work the packing plant is what will get us overrun.. they live in 2 bedroom houses with 3-4 generations of family members, they have no concept of personal hygiene.. when it’s flu season we are treating the entire household... this is 6x more infectious than the flu.

This is from my son an ER nurse in Midwest small town
    The meat packers have an overwhelming work force of immigrant employees. Many speak a language that maybe a few thousand people speak worldwide. Making communication problematic all around.

3. knoxvegasdaddy

as of Friday...study indicated 4 hours on copper, as much as 48 hours on stainless steel and plastic.

somewhere in between for paper/ cardboard.

Wait til tomorrow to open those Amazon packages!

4. knoxvegasdaddy

As an A- blood type guy, I’m not thrilled at the higher infectious rates in A type blood seen so far.

5. knoxvegasdaddy

Wet Nose, so far, isn’t a symptom, as far as I have seen...

loss of smell and taste is a biggie. Lots are reporting not being able to smell food even though the nasal passages are clear.

So is a dry cough, extreme fatigue, and nausea.

6. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

I haven’t heard that.

7. OGW

OGW SAF

Another thank you to PicardMD for all the straight up information unclouded by political BS.

SevenSixtyTwo and Mister Clean like this.
  8. Gl0ckw0rk1983

Gl0ckw0rk1983

Thank you picard and all others on the front line...

SevenSixtyTwo and Mister Clean like this.
  9. 1L26

1L26

Thanks for providing us with the info from the front lines!

Just keep yourself safe, thank you and We'll keep you in our prayers!

SevenSixtyTwo and seanmac45 like this.
  10. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I apologize if this has been asked... is it actually safe to get take out from restaurants in low infection areas?

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  11. knoxvegasdaddy

12. PicardMD

PicardMD Make It So!!

Short answer is yes, if you trust the restaurant to practice their routine food safety hygiene. While this virus can survive outside of human body much longer than the flu virus. It is not that difficult to sterilize. Heat will do it nicely. So, as long as the restaurant practices good hygiene - including sending sick workers home, something they are already legally bound to do by their license, it is safe to consume their food.

FWIW, we still buy food from our favorite Chinese takeout (and other mom-and-pop eateries) when we are too busy to cook (which is often nowadays) It's also our way to support our mom-and-pop restaurants during this difficult time. While they often insist on giving us as very deep discounts, we leave the rest as tips in the tip jar. :)

13. PicardMD

PicardMD Make It So!!

Blood type -
    Briefly read through the study - a few takeaways:

The most common blood type in the study is Type A.

They compare percentage of COVID + patients blood type with that of the general population percentage in the region. Sampling is very important when doing this - they did not offer their sampling methods.

While the results are "statistically significant," the actual absolute risk is fairly small. Meaning, type A blood is only very slightly more likely to be COVID+.

SevenSixtyTwo, TeaDub and UncleDave like this.
  14. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

So here’s a tough one about the big picture.

- It seems that any possible vaccine is 12 - 18 month away.

- If 86% of patients on respirators subsequently die, then it doesn’t seem like there’s even much in the way of an effective treatment yet. People either recover on their own or they don’t.

- Social distancing may be slowing the spread now, but as soon as it ends it’s going to spread rapidly again, since we haven’t actually done anything about immunizing the population.

- There’s no way we can keep the country shut down for a year.

Aren’t we just delaying the inevitable? Won’t, ultimately, most people wind up getting this, whether it’s now or 3 months from now, and those people will have to either survive it or not, on their own?

That being the case, should we just end social distancing, accept that we’re just going to have to take the hit, and do our best to get the economy restarted?

It seems that social distancing isn’t doing anything to change the equation and final outcome. It’s just postponing the inevitable result.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    shadowgunner9 likes this.
  15. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

@PicardMD.......thanks for the great post.

This is the most informative thread I've read about COVID-19

SevenSixtyTwo, OGW and Mister Clean like this.
  16. SAR

SAR CLM

Social distancing is used to slow the spread of the disease so that we can maintain enough hospital beds and medical staff to treat it. No one believes it’s going to end the disease, but if everyone gets sick at once, the medical community will be overwhelmed more than it is now. It’s only to slow things down so that we can manage healthcare.

17. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I know that’s what the media keeps pushing...

But what we’re hearing from PicardMD (thanks!) is that “treatment” is largely irrelevant. The Drs. are handicapped by a lack of effective options. Only 14% of people who go on respirators are surviving.

Thus:

1. Respirators don’t really matter at this point, despite all the media attention paid to them.

2. Through no fault of their own, the Drs. can’t really do much to help you. You basically live or die on your own.

3. Flattening the curve is therefore pointless. Recover or die at home, or recover or die at the hospital. The results are pretty close.

So we might as well accept the reality of the situation and start things back up. Unless there is something I’m missing. In which case PicardMD will be along to set me straight I assume.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  18. packsaddle

packsaddle

Thank you picard for your time and effort.

This may be outside your current scope of clinical management, but have you noticed low Vitamin D3 levels in most patients that test positive for coronavirus?

It's a long story but I have 8 years of experience in pharmaceutical and nutraceutical sciences.

I try to keep my 25-hydroxy levels at 100 ng/ml and I've been taking anti-helminthics, anti-protozoals, and anti-fungals interchangeably for awhile now.

Ivermectin, itraconazole, mebendazole, and nitazoxanide to name a few.

Thanks, in advance.

19. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Except that causes more total deaths due to lack of available beds and equipment, including not just covid patients but medical personnel that then get infected because of lack of PPE.

Also delay lets people take advantage of treatments that may be found later that may save those lives that would be lost otherwise.

Randy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. SAR

SAR CLM

Except no one is dying quietly at home. Or very few. At some point, either the patient or a family member is going to call for medical assistance. In this day and age no one is going to accept death quietly at home without first calling for medical assistance. This is the crux of the matter. It’s going to tie up resources if we all get sick at once.

SevenSixtyTwo, n2g, seanmac45 and 3 others like this.