Coverting Glock 21 to 10mm - Parts and compatability questions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Quarterbore, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Quarterbore

Quarterbore Millennium Member

I have a Glock 21 along with the normal Glock 21 parts. I also have a Glock 20 barrel,recoil spring assembly, and a few Glock 20 mags.

I am curious if I were to buy and swap out the 45 ACP ejector with a 10mm ejector if I would be able to install my Glock 20 barrel, heavier springs, and 10mm mags and use the Glock 21 in 10mm?

I have been planning to buy a Glock 20 but as always money is too tight to just keep buying more and more guns. I need a smaller CCW but I am going G26 or G27 as the G29 is just bigger then I want for a light CCW weapon. I figure if I can get the G-21 to shoot 10mm it is an extra cartridge for me without a huge investment.

Thanks for any advise!

2. Quarterbore

I am still searching and I found this thread:

http://www.glock-guns.com/newforum/...orumID=1&TopicID=5725&PagePosition=1&get=last

Specifically this message:

Then,with the power of Google to search GlockTalk's archives I found this:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...k+21"+to+10mm+with+a+"glock+20"+barrel+&hl=en

Note: Attachment is lost!

So, it sounds to me like running a Glock 20 barrel in the Glock 21 is not a good idea... I guess I need to keep looking for a Glock 20 or at least a Glock 20 slide/upper.

3. 10mm4ever

10mm4ever 10mm Pusher

Considered a .400 cor-bon conversion? The ballistics would be near identical to 10mm.But,taking into account the cost of ammo etc. may not be the best idea.

4. samhane

samhane

Get a G20 slide/upper for it. The G20 and 21 frames are exactly the same in everyway so the slides/uppers can be swapped easily

5. Quarterbore

Any clue where I can get a glock 20 slide? Like I said I have the barrel and mags so a slide and a new ejector is in order then...

Oh yea, and I hate to ask, what will a new (or used) slide cost me?

EDIT:

OK, I did some searching and found this: http://glockmeister.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/10_16/products_id/124 where it will cost me $275.00 for just a stripped slide (NO INTERAL PARTS) so I can then buy the Complete Slides Part kit for another $97 here: http://glockmeister.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/10_18/products_id/249

or

For $398 I can get a complete Glock 20 upper: http://glockmeister.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/10_66/products_id/96

or

For about $450 I can buy a used Glock 20 ;g

6. Rawny

Rawny Cheshire Dawg

Another option is to get a .45-10mm conversion barrel from KKM(it's not listed on their website, call them up) and perhaps a stronger recoil spring. That way, you only have to spend about $200. :cool:

[​IMG]

7. culleniii

culleniii Sporting Man Millennium Member

Rawny--is the KKM barrel and a 10mm magazine the only thing you need to convert your G30 to shoot 10mm? How much did that go for?

8. coverdog

coverdog Platinum Member

That is not a g30 in Rawny's photo.

9. Rawny

Rawny Cheshire Dawg

It's a G21 with a long slide. Give KKM a call, and see if .45-10mm can be made for the G30. I'm not sure if a G21 barrel will work in a G30 or not. If it does, then all it will take is for KKM to cut it to stock G30 length.

10. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

If I am not mistaken the G20 was desgined and built specifically to handle the 10mm cartridge, the silde is constructed differently.

so by the time you piece this pistol together maybe you could have bought a used one?

11. Quarterbore

+1 or so I have learned in the process of looking...

I just gave up on the 10mm for now. In the past three weeks I have added three new glocks to my collection so I have my G-21 that I have owned for about 8-years now... plus a G30 and a G17 in my name and a G26 I bought for my wife and is in here name. That pretty much covers my 45 and 9mm needs.

I will keep my eye out for a decent deal on a G20 as price wise a used G-20 just works out to be a beter deal.

12. ZephyrNewYork

ZephyrNewYork Like my shadow?

A G21 barrel will drop into a G30 slide but it won't function because the locking lugs are of different sizes.

Frank

13. ZephyrNewYork

Did you ever find a used G20? I'm thinking about converting my G21 and maybe G30 to 10mm for carry in bear country. I heard all you need is the barrel, spring and mags. And maybe even the ejector, but not sure about this yet. Maybe I'll call Glock today.

Rawny,
    Is that your Glock in the pic? If so, what parts did you rpelace besides the slide and barrel?

Frank

14. Rawny

Rawny Cheshire Dawg

Frank, that is my "G20L". ;) I installed the LCI extractor, because the long slide came with the old style.

I also installed a 3.5# connector, extended slide lock, extended slide release, and extended magazine release. None of which is necessary for the conversion to function.

15. Quarterbore

Actually, I ended up selling my Glock 21...

It is a long story but by Brother suffered a home invasion and I did a major reorg of my handguns...

Here is the Home Invasion story:

http://www.home-invasion.com/showthread.php?t=2

I now carry a Glock 30 on me and I replaced the 2nd Generation Glock 21 which was my home gun with a 3rd Gen Glock 22 with night sights, lasermax and ITI M3LED. I have also added a Glock 26 (wife's gun) and a Glock 34...

So, no, I never did get it all figured out...

Right now I would likely look for a Glock 20 and then convert that to 45 ACP as it seems the Glock 20 frame may be a more robust unit then the Glock 21. Then again, I have kind of fallen for the Glock 22 as a HD gun...

16. Rawny

Rawny Cheshire Dawg

Wow... Sorry about your brother.

Actually, the frame for both the 20 and 21 are the same. It's the G20 slide that is more robust than the G21. However, due to the smaller chamber cut-out, you cannot drop a .45 conversion barrel into a G20 slide.

17. ZephyrNewYork

Nice pic, Rawny :) So do I need the G20 extractor for my G21? Mine has the LCI.

Extended slide lock AND extended slide release? I thought they were one and the same. I could be wrong though.

So in order to do the conversion, I need the 10mm barrel, mags, spring (how many lbs?) and MAYBE the G20 extractor?

Frank

18. ZephyrNewYork

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. My house got invaded last June. They stole a bunch of my stuff, but luckily my G21 was on me instead of sitting at home. I now have a G30 as well.

If you want to shoot both .45 ACP and 10mm in a Glock, you're better off getting a G21 or G30 and converting it. Like Rawny said, you can't do it the other way around unless you get a new slide. A G21 can be converted to 10mm, .400 Corbon, .40 Super, and .45 Super. A G20 can be converted to .40 S&W and 357 SIG, but don't quote me.

Frank

19. Rawny

Rawny Cheshire Dawg

Thanks. There is no special extractor for the G20. If your G21 has the LCI extractor, you're good to go.
    The slide lock is basically the takedown lever.
    Right, and make sure it's a conversion barrel, not a G20 barrel. As for springs, 20-22, or even 24 if you plan to try some DoubleTaps...and you should! :cool:

20. ZephyrNewYork

Thanks for the tips, Rawny.

Frank