close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Couple of questions about the Blackhawk shooting range in San Antonio

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by AggieMax, Dec 2, 2004.

1. AggieMax

AggieMax DFW sheepdog

I have never been to the range and I am driving in on Saturday morning from Austin. Here are a couple of logistical questions I have about the range:

1. Are the roads to the range paved?
    2. Is there ample parking? Is it paved or grass?
    3. I know they should have canopies directly at the stages to cover the shooter and RO, but are there other covered areas as well?
    4. In 2003 in Carrollton, they had a warm-up/practice area that for a small fee you could fire a couple of magazines worth, will they have this in San Antonio?

Thanks for the help.

2. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

The San Antonio match is somewhat unusual as there are three organizations involved. "Blackhawk" owns the range. Two "tenant" clubs split doing the GSSF match itself. "River City Shooters" is a USPSA club and will run Glock M and possibly Five to Glock on their end of the facility. "South Texas Action Pistol Club" is an NRA Action pistol club and will run Plates and possibly, Five to Glock as well, on their end of the range. The two ends of the range are separated by about 1/4 mile and if possible (it is dry and/or you have a truck/SUV) you can and are advised to drive from one to the other. If it rains the track between them gets pretty muddy.

1 - The roads in are paved. The "driveway" into the range is dirt, however. It is about 1/3 mile into the Range and typically potholed pretty badly. G-d help you if you are in a Corvette or similarly low-slung vehicle. No problem for pickup trucks/SUVs and minimal (go slow) problems for normal sedan-type vehicles. Don't hit any grazing cattle (no, I am not kidding.)

2 - Ample parking at both ends of the range. The STAPC end is mostly grass. The RCS end is dirt and if it rains enough, "grow 1 inch per step" sticky mud. Ditto for the floors of their respective range bays, as well. Rubber boots advised if it rains.

3 - Permanent overhead covers at the mouths of most of their bays, but these are not positioned to cover shooting positions. There will be no cover over the shooting positions themselves unless they have bought some portables (it has been several years since I attended this match.)

4 - Either or both RCS and STAPC MAY have side/warm-up events if they can spare the space, equipment, and manpower. If they cannot, they won't.

Good Luck!

;f

3. AggieMax

AggieMax DFW sheepdog

Thanks for the information. I am certainly looking forward to my experience :) :) Hopefully the rain will hold off until late afternoon, but the forecast doesn't look promising.

4. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

1) No, dirt, potholes all over.
    2) Yes, grass and dirt.
    3) No, other than what people setup.
    4) Maybe.

The last two times I went to SA, it was pouring rain. Even some 4x4s got stuck, though with all the people there it was no problem getting a yankout. A major mess.

Also, the restrooms were not usable IMO. YMMV.

5. pangris

pangris Moderator

Second that. If I hadn't been carrying a little speed (I saw it coming) I wouldn't have made it in a couple spots in the BMW. Made me wish I still had my Jeep...

6. AggieMax

AggieMax DFW sheepdog

Yeah, that road was unbelievable, I sure am glad it decided not to rain on Saturday, or I would have been parking on the pavement and hitching a ride in a pickup truck into the range :)

7. RedhorseG20

RedhorseG20

I liked the section of gravel that went real close to the pond with no drain pipe under the driveway for heavy rain scenarios. I can see a car submerging if the rain started pouring. Potholes can be fixed for a nominal fee. I would do it for a real good price to save my vehicle but it is about 7 hours from my house and that is a little far to tow a 5,000 pound tractor. But money talks!