Countries Starting to Hoard Food

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by callihan_44, Mar 26, 2020.

1. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...arting-to-hoard-food-threatening-global-trade

It’s not just grocery shoppers who are hoarding pantry staples. Some governments are moving to secure domestic food supplies during the conoravirus pandemic.

Kazakhstan, one of the world’s biggest shippers of wheat flour, banned exports of that product along with others, including carrots, sugar and potatoes. Vietnam temporarily suspended new rice export contracts. Serbia has stopped the flow of its sunflower oil and other goods, while Russia is leaving the door open to shipment bans and said it’s assessing the situation weekly.

“You could see wartime rationing, price controls and domestic stockpiling,” she said.

Some nations are adding to their strategic reserves. China, the biggest rice grower and consumer, pledged to buy more than ever before from its domestic harvest, even though the government already holds massive stockpiles of rice and wheat, enough for one year of consumption.

Key wheat importers including Algeria and Turkey have also issued new tenders, and Morocco said a suspension on wheat-import duties would last through mid-June.

take it for what it's worth, may or may not affect the US you decide

2. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I just hope China doesn't start hoarding all the bats. I wish that Nestle would come out with a Bat-N-Cheese version of their Hot-Pocket selection.

[​IMG]

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Why? Bloomberg let slip that anyone can grow crops. “Just dig a hole, drop in seed”... so even if older, expirenced farmers die... any city slicker could do better.
    I have t had a garden in last yrs. I wonder if my old seed packets are still good?
    Just this morning I was strongly hinted at where I can get eggs. Not 2 days ago I lamented the only egg raising older couple farms were gone. But this am, just by mentioning shortage of eggs in store... “we started raising chickens again, if you want eggs let us know...”. So one thing possibly covered. Less then a mile cross country.

rock_castle, PSUEng and 6Actual like this.
  4. Chui

Chui

That’s to be expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Maybe a glimpse into the future.

6. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I have a field that might go into wheat... thing is right now corn, wheat, soybeans are cheap.

7. Dynactus

Dynactus

Subsistence farming can be very rewarding, unless you happen to live in town, then well, not so much. In big cities there are "community gardens", so that could work. So hey, good luck with that.
    We should never forget that America feeds the world. It's just that less that 3% of Americans are doing the feeding.
    I wonder if the countries that are hoarding food know something that Americans don't know.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  8. Neldon

Neldon Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!

Callahan_44, if you have an acre of grass, just throw some chickens on it and keep an eye out for foxes and wolves.

9. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Dang. I looked for bat/cheese on Amazon, but couldn't find it. I'll trade you some primers?

FullClip and Rellik like this.
  10. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

I think that is a good example to follow.

11. thewitt

thewitt

Vietnam has stopped rice exports. Malaysia has only 2 months supply in storage. This is a problem.

Dynactus likes this.
  12. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

My rice comes from CA; literally and I guess also somewhat metaphorically.

13. Dynactus

Dynactus

Could it be that the chickens are coming home to roost? Most of this has been forecasted since the 1980's, even the current pandemic.

14. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Our nation can feed the world- if it will. Of course we may have to stop catering to the environmentalists and quit using our grain to make ethanol.

15. Aceman

Aceman

You mean we can feed the world - if Monsanto allows it. For a time - until we destroy our ability to farm at all.

Of course, no one mentions what happens when zones 1/2/3 become farmable due to global warming. Yeah - a few cities go under water. But food problem solved as most of Canada/Russia become farmable land.

16. powernoodle

powernoodle

The good news is that America's food production is dispersed from Florida to California to New England. And we are a net surplus producer and exporter.

17. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Our farmers get paid not to grow,it'll take a minute to ramp it back up.But this nation can produce.'08.

18. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

How do home gardeners plan on protecting their crops from thieves? 20 minutes a 3AM, someone could clean out half your garden.

19. bdcochran

bdcochran

The word "starting" might be deleted. Governments have manipulated food supplies for many years.

Here is a discussion of government controls on the importation of rice last year into the Philippines. https://business.inquirer.net/283145/ph-is-worlds-biggest-rice-importer-for-2019

Although things may have changed since I last had current information, countries like Egypt had the government negotiate contracts for wheat . If you lived in Afghanistan, the price of bread was regulated by the government. In Italy, a restaurant would be required to offer a fixed price meal by government fiat on its menu. Thailand had a recent scandal dealing with the government "buying" domestically produced rice on paper and then failing to pay farmers.

Why would a Communist country like the PRC store more than a year's supply of wheat and rice? How about 40% or more of the pig crop dying of pig Ebola, a recent curse of insect damage, and an inability to produce protein so that it had to end its 2015 ban on chicken imports from the USA? It doesn't have to be a conspiracy or preparing for war.

Sometimes government controls produce surprising results. Many many years ago, the ECC was caught illegally subsidizing the production of butter. The USA was slapping tariffs on the importation of ECC butter. The ECC got around it by producing a huge quantity of cookies with a substantial butter content and selling cheap in the USA at Christmas.