Council Wants To Change Where Guns Are Sold

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glenn129, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Glenn129

Glenn129

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/city-asks-state-for-306798.html

City asks state for authority to restrict gun sales
    ShareThisPrint E-mail By Eric Stirgus

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The Atlanta City Council voted without opposition Mondayfor legislation requesting state lawmakers to allow cities to restrict where guns are sold.

More Atlanta/Fulton news »
    Strip club alcohol ban OK'd
    Grant will pay tuition at Pace
    James Fargo Lanier, 93, batboy for Ty Cobb
    Seven arrested in massage parlor sting
    Atlanta/South Fulton
    North Fulton
    Council members supported the idea, but predicted it wouldn't get far at the state Capitol, where the Republican-led Legislature is largely supportive of gun rights.

"I just think it's going to fall on deaf ears over there," Councilwoman Felicia Moore said during the meeting.

Councilman Michael Julian Bond, the lead sponsor of the legislation, expressed hope that state Rep. Rashad Taylor (D-Atlanta) would support the idea. Bond conceded Moore might be right about the bill's likelihood of passing. Still, Bond said it's important for the city and state leaders to talk about gun safety that are more troublesome in urban areas like Atlanta.

"If we can help them understand it's not about restricting their rights," Bond said in an interview. "Then maybe we can begin to have a healthy conversation."

Bond pushed for legislation after learning about a pawn shop's plans to open and sell guns near a high school in southwest Atlanta. The councilman and his peers also introduced legislation allowing the city to decide where new pawn shops can operate. The idea is similar to ls a law that prohibits liquor stores from operating within 1,500 feet of a school, church, library, hospital, park or child-care facility.

The proposed legislation would impact only pawn shops that open after the proposed changes are made. The legislation likely will be discussed next week by the council's zoning committee. It does not need state approval, Bond said.

In other business Monday, the council will allow motorists to park longer in some parts of downtown Atlanta, in this case for three hours instead of two on Mitchell Street and the Fairlie-Poplar area.

Mitchell Street business owners complained to Councilman Kwanza Hall that the two-hour limits were unfair for customers. Hall will push for it in other parts of the city if the change has a noticeable impact on business.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  2. hill billy

hill billy Head Case

Go felate yourself Mr. Bond. :)

3. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

"The Atlanta City Council voted without opposition Mondayfor legislation requesting state lawmakers to allow cities to restrict where guns are sold."

"If we can help them understand it's not about restricting their rights," Bond said in an interview. "Then maybe we can begin to have a healthy conversation."

Anybody see a flaw in this argument? :dunno:

4. hill billy

hill billy Head Case

I saw it, you just put it more diplomatically than I did. :wavey:

5. blackjack

blackjack

Where does the Council intend for the homeboys to hock their bling for money to give to their baby mamas when they get tracked down? Those restrictions would create large pawn-shop free zones.

6. dac1204

dac1204

A lot of it is just a smoke and mirrors thing. If it is approved (which I doubt) they will say see the guns are not coming from Atlanta they are coming from outside the city.

Even if they shut every gun store down in the state. The crooks will just get them from some where else.

It's a feel good measure.

7. StoneDog

StoneDog

The City of Atlanta is run by complete idiots.

Well, not 100% idiots. At least they are smart enough to realize that this has very little chance of passing.

8. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Not to mention any gun shops that will be put out of business. I wonder if Mr. Bond is willing to personally cover the costs for these shops to relocate as well as the profits lost in the interim.

-who elects these shortsighted knuckleheads?

9. Buki192327

Buki192327

Short sighted voters elect these short sighted knuckleheads!!!

Any questions?

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Wait. . . WHAT?!~?!?!

:rofl:

11. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

...are there actually any liquor stores in the city of Atlanta? Is it possible to go to city in the US and not be within 1500 feet of a school, church, library, hospital, park, or day-care center? So, treat gun stores the same, and there won't be any of those, either...

12. Nords

Nords

13. ShamGlock

ShamGlock

So gun stores in Atlanta would basically get treated the same as pedophiles but it's not about restricting their rights.

14. Bruce H

Bruce H

How about restricting where citys can have councils. These jackasses have proven they aren't qualified to have a council.

15. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Why doesn't he just come out and say that he doesn't want anyone to sell guns to black people?"

Is that so hard?

Then he would be seen as the racist bastid he is and we can all go home.

ML

16. StoneDog

StoneDog

Bond is black. How is not wanting to sell guns to other black people racist?

Not that I'm defending the man, but I don't see the racism in this instance.

17. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    I would think the savvy way to go about it would be to use zoning to restrict where Pawn shops can be.

18. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

I know he's black and that doesn't mean he can't be a racist. If I made those statements, the black community would (rightfully) be in an uproar.

I don't believe in double standards, nor in racial immunity.

ML

19. MarccraM

MarccraM

:rofl: