close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Couldn't resist...... factory rebuilt Glock 17

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by magsnubby, Oct 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. magsnubby

magsnubby NRA LIFE MEMBER

Since it was raining today and i'm in the process of doing some work on my house i decided to cancel my trip to the range and go look at carpet.

On the way i passed by a gun store i don't usally shop at (i don't care for the owner). I've been looking for a second gen Glock 17 or 19 (don't like the finger grooves and i wasn't planning on putting a light on it) and i remembered at the last gun show he had some reasonably priced factory rebuilt Glocks. I decided to stop in for a quick look.

He had a factory rebuilt second gen 17 for $471.99 otd. Since used Glocks in this area go for about $500.00 to $550.00 and new ones go for around $650.00 (plus tax and DROS fees), and i haven't heard any negitive comments about the factory rebuilds, i couldn't resist it.

I wasn't even aware of the factory rebuilds untill i saw them at a gun show earlier this year. I don't remember seeing any advertisments for them any where. They seem to be one Glock's best kept secrets.

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

My first Glock was a factory-refurbished G17. I shot the heck out of that gun; ran about 7000-8000 rounds through it the first year, and probably 4000-5000 a year for the next 4 years. I never had any problems with it, and I'm STILL using some of the mags that I bought long ago for that first-generation G17.

It made me the "fan" I am today... ;f

3. magsnubby

I had been kicking around the idea of getting a 17 and cutting it down to accept the 19's mags. I've always liked the way my 23 felt and figured a cut down 17 would combined the best of the 17 (longer barrel) and the best of the 19 (shorter grip).

I think i've changed my mind. The 17 fits my hand great. I guess i'll just enjoy it like it is.

4. drofnas

drofnas Senior Member

"Glock 17 Covert"? (like the Kahr P9 covert.)

5. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I did this a while back; I still carry and use this Glock the most of all. I call it my Glock 1917. Check here for details if interested:

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=3196564

[​IMG]

Edited to fix busted link.

6. magsnubby

DJ Niner,
    Now that's what i'm talking about. After reading your original thread and checking out your 1917 (i bet it does drive the S&W guys nuts) i'm seriously thinking about cutting mine down. That thing looks real sweet.

7. drofnas

drofnas Senior Member

...down to G26 size? Are there springs or something inside that would prohibit that change? I understand that it could be an issue with length of slide, stability, etc, but that would really conceal better.

Thoughts?

8. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

From just a quick visual inspection of my G17, it looks like you could go down to G26 size (two fingergrooves and two bumps) without running into anything. If you tried to take off the second bump (under the second fingergroove), you'd probably get into the cavity where the magazine catch/release spring sits; then you'd have trouble. It would be relatively easy to determine the depth of the hole for this spring, add a bit for safety, and go no shorter than this, but I'm not sure where you'd end up, overall-height-wise. Probably very close to a G26, though. If it wasn't short ENOUGH, though, you couldn't use G26 mags; so I'd check dimensions very closely if that is your plan.

9. drofnas

drofnas Senior Member

I'd hate to cut off more than a 19, only to end up with a 19 that looks bad. Something to keep in mind if I ever get serious about this.

10. magsnubby

drofnas,
    Although i don't have a 19 i do have a 23 (same size as the 19).I took the slide off the 23 and put it on the 27 frame (same size as the 26) just to see what it would look like. Proportionally, the extra 5/8" makes the gun look great. The best of both worlds, longer barrel for better ballistics and a shortere grip for better concealmemt. It's what Glock should have made.

By cutting a 17 down to 26 proportions you could end up with a gun that was way out of proportion. I would suggest you try a 17 slide on a 26 frame before you make any decisions.

A better idea might be to find a 19 and cut it down to take the 26 mags. You can still use the 17/19 mags for reloads, they'll just stick out farther than the 26 mags.

11. drofnas

drofnas Senior Member