close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Couldn't load G/T

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Ian, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Ian

Ian Millennium Member

Would anyone have the slightest idea why I was not able to load Glocktalk for the past 3 days, all other sites would load.
    I was getting withdrawal symptoms!

2. bigtinva

bigtinva Megalomaniac

3. Ian

Ian Millennium Member

Thank you ;J

4. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

Hello. The DNS info for Glock Talk changed recently. Either a DNS server in your network, or your ISP's network,m ust have been caching the old lookup and it didn't refresh in a timely manner. Most DNS servers will clear their lookup caches and do fresh lookups once or twice a day. I had both networks up and running concurrently for a week, so that everyone could get to the site no matter what lookup they had. Whoever cached your lookup info took a week + 3 days to refresh apprarently. Sorry for the disruption though. Eric

5. Ian

Ian Millennium Member

Thank you Eric.
    Although even in layman's terms, I still don't understand ;J.
    I would also like to thank you for all of your hard work here, the last last 7 years. ;D

6. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart CLM Millennium Member

Ian, allow me to translate. Some internet stuff changed, it was temporary, and it is now fixed. ;f ;f ;f ;f See Eric, aren't you glad you keep me around?? ;e ;e

7. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

Website URL's are name-based, such as glocktalk.com. The addresses that websites reside at on the net are ip number based. Glock Talk's primary ip number is 209.120.209.7. URL's are used to make it easier for people to identify with and remember the addresses of websites. For this to work, there needs to be a translation layer, to convert the domain names into ip numbers for you. DNS servers do this for you.

Name servers accomplish a couple of functions. One, they do lookups of domain names. Every ISP will have a nameserver running. When you request a page, the nameserver finds out which nameserver is authoritative for that domain name and then it goes to that nameserver to find out what the requested site's ip number is. You might be wondering what I meant about a nameserver being authoritative for a domain name. That leads to the second function of a nameserver.

Every domain name on the internet has a record with an organization known as Icann. Icann is the sanctioning body for domain name registrations. The record for each domain name at Icann has 1 or more nameservers listed that are authoritative for it. These are the nameservers that are authorized to tell the world where this domain name should point. When your ISP's nameserver does a lookup, it contacts Icann to find out who is authoritative for the domain name and then goes to the appropriate nameserver. That nameserver maintains records, called zone records, for each domain name it has authority over. That nameserver will let you know what ip number you should go to to find that site, where to route mail for that domain name and some other info.

When I moved the network, I had to assign new ip numbers to all of my servers & websites and I had to change the ip numbers at which my 3 nameservers reside. When these types of sweeping changes are made, propagation becomes an issue. This leads to another function of nameservers: Caching.

When nameservers do lookups for people, they cache the results. If every request for a webpage led to a domain name lookup, the amount of traffic generated would bring the internet to its knees. So, lookups get cached by nameservers. They also get cached by your email client and web browser. These caches clear themselves out, usually once or twice a day. Caching is not normally a problem because websites don't typically move around much, but when a website moves, there can be a period of a day or more when some nameservers are still giving their users cached lookups to a site that has since moved.

To backstop this, when I moved my network, I left both networks up concurrently, so that all of my websites would be reachable from either the old or the new lookup. I left things this way for a week. The people who experienced interruptions had a nameserver giving them lookups that did not clear their caches properly and kept returning an old lookup for more than a week.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. The network is completely moved, the old network is gone forever and everyone should be getting good DNS lookups by now. Eric

8. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

what he said?;z ;P