close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Could you hit it.....at 360yrds???

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by hardeyes, Sep 29, 2004.

1. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

A few days ago, I was watching a Big Horn Sheep hunt (in AZ).

This guy spotted a BIG ram, He stalked to 360yrds, but had to wait 2hrs for the ram to get up (because the ram was bedded down).

Anyways, after the wait, the Ram rose to it's feet, then

Boom, first shot Miss - the Ram didn't run off

Secound shot- Miss - Ram takes a few steps

Third shot - the fellow managed to slightly wound Ram

Fourth shot - Behind the Shoulder hit. Ram ran off and was dispatched.

Man I Thought the reason the Ram didn't run off, was he was too busy laughing.

Well this Ram was HUGE, Big Horns, and a good sized curl, a real amazing trophy.

Anyways, Could you make a shot at this range? What combo, would you use.

If I knew I was going to be shooting at that long a range, I would have spent alot of hours, with my Rem 7mm and/or 300Win Mag.

Take care, Hardeyes

2. Luke77

Luke77 "Get Some!"

I have shot distances up to 600 yards accuratly with my .270 although I dont recommend it. I dont think the bullet has enough velocity to effectively kill a large animal at that distance. Currently I have my .270 sighted in at 300 yards because of the area we hunt is all open wheat fields. So I would have to say yes, I think I could hit it. Plus, my 6-18x50mm scope probably helps a little too! ;)

3. VicMackey

VicMackey President

Oh, That's too good. I'll laugh at that guy, but at 360 yards I would have missed too.

4. muddydog

muddydog

yes...

but i practice alot...especially when i have hunts scheduled out west..

like Wyoming...

my best are on pronghorn, one being right at 350.

practice...and knowing the gun and wind are crucial.

the wind issue can be brutal.

5. Big_Jim

Big_Jim

Nope, I probably couldn't do much better. For this type of hunt I would opt for something in the 7mm family and practice, pratice, practice.

6. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

i made one shot like that at a whitetail at about 385 with my .270.. probably the luckiest shot i've ever made :) would i do it again, well yeah but only if the deer had a bigger rack..

unless you practice a lot that's a LONG way away..

I would say most of the newer short mags would work good, 30.06 would work good, i would want a longer 24" barrel and a decent sized scope 3 x 9 minimum 4.5 x 14 and definetly prone or heavily rested for me..

But to be honest unless it was a trophy i'd probably try to get closer..

Jeff.

7. vafish

vafish

I've never had the opportunity to try a shot at 360 yards.

But you can bet if I ever drew a tag for ahunt like that I'd practice a lot before going out.

8. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Was he shooting unsupported? Supported, I've hit groundhog from that far.

9. lomfs24

lomfs24

A big Horn sheep at 360 yards? What was he doing with a gun? I could have shot him with my bow at that range.;f

I didn't see the show so I don't know what the hunt was like but I have litterally walked up and stood within 20 yards of some pretty impressive sheep here in Montana. It's all in your approach. If you are below them on a hill you can walk right up to them while they are watching you. They can run uphill extremely fast so their natural escape routes are up. So if you are below them they do not feel threatened and you can walk right up to them.

To answer your question though. I have pegeed pronghorn antelope at 425 yards so yeah, I am pretty sure that a sheep at 360 would have been dead. Especially if I knew he was at 360 before I shot. For that particular tast I would probably not have been carrying a 7mm though.

Probably the reason the ram didn't run was that the shooter was below him or far enough away that the ram didn't feel threatened. At that range too, the shot reports probably weren't that loud. The ram may have had trouble locating the source of the threat and so didn't know which way to run. Sheep are not the brightest crayons in the box.

10. vart

vart

My first deer was at 200 yds. My first elk was at 250 yds. and my first antelope was at 300 yds. All were with a .257 Roberts.

I've made longer shots over the years, and am confident that with my .30-06 I could make that shot. But, not without becoming familiar with it at those distances.

11. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

He was prone, with the rifle supported, And he was shooting at the Big Horned Sheep, at the bottom of a hill.

Don't know why he missed all 3 shots (One minor hit), but he finally got it right with his fourth shot.

I take it that he didn't think he would be shooting at that range?

The spotter kept telling him to calm down, maybe that put him over the edge.

Take care, Hardeyes

12. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Was he shooting up/down hill at the sheep? My guess is he forgot you hold low both ways.

13. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

My guess is that he was probably shooting OVER the ram. This is a common mistake when shooting long distances.

A quick look at the ballistic chart on common 30-06 ammo will tell you that a hold over of 7-9 inches is good for a 300 yard shot. So most people in a rush will hold 7-9 inches over the back, thus shooting over the animal. What needs to be done on most North American big game would be that at 300 yards, you hold on the spine or top of the back of the animal. The bullet will drop into the chest then.

A shot at 350 yards will give a drop of about 13-15 inches, so you would aim above the back about 6-8 inches.

14. pdxbubba

pdxbubba

What was the wind like? Was the terrain straight going up or was there valleys?

I love using the Percentage Tag books they have some great charts in the back to make sighting in a whole lot easier.

15. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I was watchin realtree monster bucks X the other day and Jeff foxworthy was doin a whitetail hunt in Iowa with a muzzle loader, scope and all. he sees a really nice buck about 30-40 yards away, shoots...misses. buck doesnt flinch, reloads, shoots...misses. buck doesnt flinch, reloads again, shoots again and hits it. i thought "wow I wish that would happen to me ;Q"

16. sp3worker

sp3worker chief wahoo

When I shot my antelope in New Mexico he was out about 250 yds. My first shot missed, I didn't even see where it went but the buck didn't seem to notice I shot. My next shot connected perfectly and droped him in his tracks.

17. Bubba w/a 45/70

Bubba w/a 45/70

Yes, I could have taken the ram with the first shot. Especially, considering that he knew the actual range. This is said within the parameters of how well I can shoot with my chosen hunting weapon: Marlin 1895 45/70. This statement is made considering that more than likely he was using one of the new flat shooting "magnum" type of cartridges.......and a scope.

And last years hunt; the shot on the deer was made at a lasered 280 yards (rangefinder used after the shot, not before), factory open sights, and one caveat: hit was on the third shot. Now, before anyone starts to laugh, at that range, I'm looking at the bottom 1/3 of my front sight for a reference point. The first shot hit right below his hooves, second went slightly to the left and higher, and the third shot went through his heart and lungs. Weather conditions: right crossing breeze (3-5 MPH), and moderate snow falling.

Confidence in yourself and weapon goes a long way towards success. And the confidence that I'm talking about only comes from mucho practice, not the BS at the local tavern after a couple of ;c ;c ;c .

Yes, I did walk the shots into him, but I also had NO idea how far off he was to make a better sight call.

18. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

This past deer season I made a 303 yard shot on a whitetail, but I had to shoot twice. First shot hit him in the front leg, and he jumped up and looked around. Second shot was on the money, and he dropped.
    I was using a HK91 in .308, with a cheap Simmons 2-10x50 scope. I used a fallen tree trunk for support.
    I won't take that kind of shot again. It was wrong of me to take it then, but I honestly thought I could get a clean kill on the first shot. I don't know why that first shot went that low. I didn't change a thing from the first shot to the second shot. I shoot a LOT of long range paper targets, so I'm no beginner at that type of shooting.
    Maybe it was me, maybe it was equipment...I don't know.

19. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I have made shots that long before - and I've passed on shorter shots. There are many variables - snow is preferable in case of a bad hit.

I used to have a tree stand in N. Wisconsin that was just unbelievable on opening day of rifle season... One morning I shot three bucks without getting a chance to reload. They were not running together. The first one came out of a dry run in front of me and I dropped him. The second was about 400 yards away on the side of a snow-covered ridge. I know the approximate distance and I knew my caliber's ballistics. I couldn't see horns with my 10 power binoculars, but I thought he was a buck and we had a doe tag if I was wrong...

I held over him the same distance as his back to belly. I took the shot and saw another buck coming out of the dry run in front of me. I shot him and looked for the second one (the one at 400 yds). He was gone...

A friend came up to see what all the commotion was about. I told him about #2 and started to gut #1 and #3... My friend found #2 about 50 yds from where he was when I shot... I hit him in the lungs...

My bullet whet through and through without expanding - never hit a rib... I was using 85gr hollow points in my 6mm Rem. If I remember correctly, we were pushing them close to 3300FPS. But, the buck was so far away that there wasn't enough velocity to 'pop' the hollow point. He just walked up to a tree and bled out.

He turned out to be a really nice 6pt. I didn't know he was a buck until my friend returned with him.

I took the shot because 1) we knew the country and could find any wounded buck - if another hunter didn't get him first. 2) I knew the distance to within 20 yards - he was walking a fence line and I was about 20 yds from a field road. From the road to the fence line was 440 yards. 3) I knew the ballistics of my round.

Prone, I believe I could hit the ram - all things being equal. Wind in the mountains can be strong and tricky - no mention was made of it. I'd have to say from what was written that the guy was a poor shot and had no business shooting at that ram.

20. shrpshtr

shrpshtr

remington 700 adl, .270win, fed premium 130gr sierra game kings (soft tip, boat tail), simmons aetec 2.8-10 x 44mm.

i keep it sighted in at 300yds. i would feel more than comfortable with that shot.

best long range shot to date: whitetail doe, neck shot - walking at 411 yards. i intentionally shoot neck shots to preserve as much meat as possible.