Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new box of 40 caliber Winchester Ranger 165 gr T-series at The Bullet Hole this morning and noticed this odd round with a crinkle in the side. A few others have a slight bow but this was the worst round. Could this be caused by over seating the bullet (or something out of spec) meaning the bullet would have difficulty firing resulting in an over pressure?:dunno:

If this is normal than fine, but I have never seen this in any of the thousands of rounds I have ever seen. Yes... I am a bit concerned with it in a .40 caliber which is already a fairly high pressure round.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
We The People
150 Posts
I would take them back and get a replacement, or at least a refund. No reason you should have to pay for cartridges that are out of spec.

·
NRA Life Member
571 Posts
Will it even chamber?

·
Registered
31,722 Posts
In a side by side comparison with others is it obviously seated deeper?

·
Federal Member
29,491 Posts
No matter the caliber, don't shoot any round that looks like that.

:cool:

·
20,410 Posts
Do not attempt to fire that round! It will blow any .40, not just Glock.

·
Regular Guy
1,789 Posts
I shoot that round for duty and department range training. Definitely should not look like that. Not only is the bulge bad, but it's clear from your pic that the bullet is seated too deep. There should be significantly more bullet showing above the case rim.

Get a refund. Bad factory lot. Not all that unusual though.

·
Badass Member
6,777 Posts
Looks like they loaded a 40 bullet into a 9mm case or the brass was sized too small.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After comparing to another normal round, it is noticeably shorter than the rest. There are many others, maybe around 15 out of a box of 50 with a slight ripple in them as well, just not as bad as this one.

The round does chamber but I have an older Gen3 when the chambers were a little looser than they are now.

Thanks for the comments. The box is definitely going back. Is this something I should make a note to Winchester? I doubt I have the only box and I sure wouldn't want anyone to have a serious issue with ammo problem.

Thank you!!

·
HOOYA DEEPSEA
4,285 Posts
Could be a shipping problem too. Check the box to see if of one end or corner got crushed. I have see this with other ammo.

DEFINATELY DON"T SHOOT IT!

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
My Ranger-T .40 180gr has a "wrinkle" in the casing like that, but NOT THAT BAD. :shocked:

I wouldn't shoot that round. Besides the "wrinkle", it looks like the bullet may be seated too deep in the casing(difficult to tell from the angle of the picture), which would cause dangerous over-pressure and the gun could blow some pieces off of it.
After comparing to another normal round, it is noticeably shorter than the rest.
DEFINITELY don't shoot that round, it will "KB" in the gun.

Edit: Now that I think about it, this is not the first time I've heard of this with 165gr Ranger-T.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
It's not the wrinkle in the case to be worried about, the bullet was seated too deep. The crimp looks a bit suspicious too.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Just picked up a new box of 40 caliber Winchester Ranger 165 gr T-series at The Bullet Hole this morning and noticed this odd round with a crinkle in the side. A few others have a slight bow but this was the worst round. Could this be caused by over seating the bullet (or something out of spec) meaning the bullet would have difficulty firing resulting in an over pressure?:dunno:

If this is normal than fine, but I have never seen this in any of the thousands of rounds I have ever seen. Yes... I am a bit concerned with it in a .40 caliber which is already a fairly high pressure round.

Thanks.
Whatever else you choose to do, in addition notify the manufacturer and provide them with one or more pics. Provide any lot/batch #s on package.
They will be very interested, and no doubt will want to 'make it right'.

These may have been loaded by S&B. Is there a dot on each side of the case bottom, between the brand and the caliber designations?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just returned the box of ammo to The Bullet Hole in Kansas City. You were all correct. The bullets were all set back way to far - so far that the loaders pushed the casings down and that was the buckling on the sides. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSES!! They called several of the store workers over as everyone marveled at the bad ammo. They said they would take care of returning them to the manufacturer. I asked if they would have a look at the other boxes on the shelves just to make sure they don't end up in someone elses's hands. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I just returned the box of ammo to The Bullet Hole in Kansas City. You were all correct. The bullets were all set back way to far - so far that the loaders pushed the casings down and that was the buckling on the sides. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSES!! They called several of the store workers over as everyone marveled at the bad ammo. They said they would take care of returning them to the manufacturer. I asked if they would have a look at the other boxes on the shelves just to make sure they don't end up in someone elses's hands. Thanks again.
It was wise to let the store know, but send in a photo and the details about that box of ammo into winchester and see if they'll do any extra for you to make up for that potentially tragic mistake. Had you been more rookish you might have seriously injured yourself or a shooting friend.

·
Banned
466 Posts
Rule number one when putting any type of ammo in any type of gun.

"WHEN IN DOUBT LEAVE IT OUT" Thank you D.I. Gunny Sgt. Hendricks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts