Could the G44 be laying the ground work for something else?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Snoopy47, Jan 29, 2020.

1. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Me, too! I don't know if they (Kiesler's) sold them later for $299 or $399 to the public, or shuttled them off within other resellers, but after having the internals updated, I am sure they would have served their new owners well. Some having some wall scuffs, holster wear, and a few seat belt abrasions, but probably otherwise fine!

2. Chowser

Chowser

Yeah. They gave us $200 for our old gen3 31s. If we did it earlier it would’ve been a little higher. Didn’t matter to me since now we could buy those back cheaper. They charged us $235. lol

3. domino1

domino1

4. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

Interesting thought, but given the extremely light weight of the G44's slide they would have to engineer a way to put mass back into the slide. It seems counter productive to make a polymer slide only to put metal weights in it so it could work properly with high pressure rounds like 9mm. If they made a 9mm using that feather weight slide material it would need a completely new locking system along with a 40lbs recoil spring to keep it from grenading. :)

boilergonzo likes this.
  5. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

I'm just saying, it seems like a lot of effort to dabble in a new composite slide for what is a bottom tier .22 pistol.

Imagine it's 1980 and someone brings up the idea of a plastic pistol........what idiots.

6. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

Personally, I wish the Glock 44 had been built on the G48 size frame and not the G19/23. To me, it would seem more ".22-ish" that way.

Doc Holliday and 19glock84 like this.
  7. 1911junkee

1911junkee

Actally they went through 1.2 million rounds during developement over a 3 year period. The mule did 40,000 rounds, another test gun went over 6,000 rounds without cleaning. Michelle Viscusi can write her name with one of the damn things!

Y'all are aware that GLOCK out sells any other pistol on the planet, right?

This is their first attempt at rimfire, I think they are doing pretty good with it. I am right at a thousand rounds with mine as of today. A few stovepipes and a couple of FTF's, but that is the nature of a .22LR. I have them with my MK. IV as well. My $375 Colt would have an FTF every magazine, I don't even want to get started on my GSG! Had to hand rack that POS every time!

I have a new Ruger MK. IV that I picked up a few months back that is the ultimate! Very few problems with it, OTOH they have made millions and millions of the sons of *****es over the last 70 some years and they have the bugs worked out of it. The last hurdle being the takedown system, only a few years ago, nice!!

I hated the first Ruger .22 no mark that I bought new in the early 60's, it was a freakin jammamatic! Total PITA to disassemble and reassemble. And the damn thing only held nine rounds! Oh the humanity!
    LMAO!

I think people need to cut Gaston some slack for chrissake! As always, JMOHO.

seang23or32 likes this.
  8. Karambit777

Karambit777

I don’t think Gaston had much to do with this one.

9. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

No, I think right now behind closed doors, Glock engineers are trying to unfuk this G44 disaster.

10. Terry G

Terry G

It seems to run perfectly as long as you don't use Aguila. CCI, Federal, Remington, Winchester or anything else. Blows up sometimes too. Won't feed the first round from the magazine. Try turning it upside down before inserting in the gun or try standing on one foot and reciting the Gettysbrg Address backwards. Magazines are tricky to design. Only been around for 100 year or so.

Doc Holliday and boilergonzo like this.
  11. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I feel the total opposite. I feel like Glock's marketing deceived us. If Glock truly did what they said, how are we possibly seeing what we are seeing?!?

As a refresher, we heard the following:
    It was stated that Glock used 141 different rimfire loads in testing, and shot over 1.2 million rounds. We read "while many 22LR pistols come with the caveat that they are picky about their diet, the Glock is billed as being omnivorous."* (Guns.com at Glock launch event)

"For reference, when Guns.com was at the unveiling event for the G44 last month, we were on hand to see a collection of 10 production model G44s cycle more than 12,000 rounds of CCI Blazer bricks in two hours with no jams. No jams.". (bold emphasis added by me)

12,000 rounds with zero jams?!?

Do we really believe they truly tested 141 brands and all worked, and that the G44 production model can shoot 12,000 rounds of CCI with ZERO failures? If this is true, either we (as consumers on this forum) SUCK at shooting guns, or it was a rigged demonstration.

We are clearly NOT seeing guns go 12,000 rounds without failure, nor are we seeing them shoot all brands of ammo.

Given those disconnects with reality, I am inclined to believe Glock's Legendary Marketing used a lot of creative license. I don't believe much of what I am reading to be factual. Was it 1.2M rounds? Normally, I would accept that fact, but given the other inconsistencies, I am even unsure on how much stock to put into that number!

Put it this way. If they shot 1.2M rounds and chose to release it as it is, they either suck at quality testing, or they made a VERY conscious decision to put this product (as-is) into our hands. They wouldn't be the first. They won't be the last.

* Perhaps what was meant by the G44 being omnivorous isn't that it eats all brands of .22lr ammo. Perhaps they meant it not only eats lead-based ammo, but also shoots renewable resource, meat or plant-based ammo, as well. A "Vegan G44 diet", possibly? A true omnivore!

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I think that is perfectly rational. I expect a few issues with any .22lr. Many on this forum were very skeptical of Glock's G44 claims when they launched specifically due to that weak, fussy round.

If (big "if) the G44's are going to have out-of-battery situations, that crosses over from "normal .22lr fussiness" to "an issue specific to this particular firearm". I don't have to hold my jaw (and magazine) in a special way to make a Ruger, S&W, or Browning load the first round right, and nobody would accept that on an XD, H&K, or SIG, let alone a Glock. I cannot give them a total pass and say "that's fine". Misfires and bad ammo in .22lr will choke any gun. First Round Sky Dives (as opposed to FRND's), isn't something I have seen in my other .22's.

But you are right. We never should have expected a flawless gun given it is a fussy round. Glock deserves some latitude on this point (the actual G44 firearm... NOT their marketing group that set these bizarre expectations!).

19glock84 likes this.
  13. Karambit777

Karambit777

And I bet the Glock legal team is sitting right beside them.

14. Terry G

Terry G

I posted before the G44 was released that their advertising statement for the G44 to "Flawlessly shoot any brand of .22" was impossible. .22 ammunition made by any company will have a misfire eventually. .22 ammunition is not perfect. Nature of the priming. I think overall CCI makes the best AND I've had failures to load, Fire, and eject using CCI in every .22 auto I own. Rare, to be sure, but it happens. The one and only failure I've had with one of my TX22's was a CCI HP that caught on the top of the chamber. Big difference of 1 in a couple thousand and 1 in 20 or so. For all owner's that are posting how their G44 is "Flawless" (I'm really starting to hate that term) I say good for you. If it's not a true statement, but a pride thing, your not helping anyone.

Doc Holliday and boilergonzo like this.
  15. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

It's laying a groundwork for a Glock 44 Gen 2 or Glock 44x.

16. DrewBone

DrewBone

Please site the reputable source used for your above claim.

17. Karambit777

Karambit777

I think this is correct. Not sure tho. I know they arm plenty of militaries and police forces around the globe.

now I’m curious.

18. Pluto57

Pluto57

I don't doubt that, but I'm not sure that's the case if you just look at civilian sales.

19. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

WOW. I thought I was the only other one that saw this.....

20. 1911junkee

1911junkee

So I was minding my own busines, changing out the plastic sights for metal ones, and the slide kept slipping in the vise, so.............

Seriously, I tracked down a photo of the slide with a crack in it and I am amazed that a 22 LR round did this kind of damage! I guess anything is possible.

I am at a thousand rounds with mine now and no serious issues other than the normal rimfire problems. I am picking up a second 44 for Mrs. Junkee this Tuesday.

This gun makes such a nice 19 practice piece! Same size and ergo's, same trigger pull, cheaper ammo, etc..

I taped a penny to the wall next to the TV and dry fire the bejeepers out of it during the commercials. I am sure I have D. F.'d that gun over a thousand times already. Great piece for the money in my opinion!

CRACKED GLOCK 44 SLIDE.jpg