close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Could I take down a white tail with a 9mm carbine?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Wrxified, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Wrxified

Wrxified

I know I obviously could with a head shot but just wondering if it would be a silly to try this season with my Beretta Storm.

I'm dead on at long distances and use a red dot AimPoint. What would be my best choice for ammo? I'm just thinking instead of my 12 gauge which I shoot sabots through.

Thoughts?

2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

You could probably do it, since poachers do it with .22s. Would it be legal? Probably not. Ethical? Probably not except in a survival situation.

3. Wrxified

Wrxified

Why would it be illegal or unethical?

4. lomfs24

lomfs24

depends on your state as to whether or not it would be illegal.

I think ethics depends on you. If you are comfortable with the shot and you know you can get a clean hit then it wouldn't be unethical. It becomes unethical when you start shooting beyond your ability or the ability of your gun.

I would definately take shots inside of 100yrds with a 9mm carbine if they were good clean shots.

5. Wrxified

Wrxified

6. Wrxified

Wrxified

That's what I meant too. I'm just interested in whether or not it would easily drop him if I took a clean shot at the vitals. Or if it's just too little firepower to even drop him with a good shot. If it would easily do the job I wouldn't be concerned with the ethics of it. I don't ever take bad shots and where I hunt I'm very lucky to get a shot over 75-80 yards with all the brush.

I don't think in Michigan there is any law that would prohibit use of the firearm. I'll double check.

What ammo would people recommend?

7. TexAg

TexAg

I've heard of one gun writer who shot a white tail with his G-17 and that did the job. In TX I believe, but don't quote me, that any non-rimfire is legal for shooting deer. I shot my very first doe with a .22 Hornet and she dropped in her tracks, but she probably wasn't 40 yards away. I think a 9mm 124gr. +p or +p+...or maybe 147 gr. could do the trick at close ranges. Hit the spine, heart or lungs and the deer will drop quick enough, and I think the 9mm is probably capable of getting to and through those vitals. I don't have a problem with it ethically, as long as you know what you're doing, are a good shot and know your limitations.

8. vafish

vafish

It also depends upon the size of your deer.

I grew up in Minnesota and the deer there are larger than the ones we have here in VA where I live now.

The smaller deer in VA I think a 9mm carbine would work ok if you picked your shots well. The 9mm Carbine would be legal here in VA (heck some 9mm handgun loads would be legal, game regs state must be over .23 caliber for a rifle and over .23 caliber and 350 ft lbs of muzzle energy for a handgun), but I don't think it would be legal in MN (been a while since I looked at their game regs though).

On a large midwestern buck I wouldn't want to try it.

The only problem I'd see with carrying the 9mm carbine would be with my luck that would be the day I see the trophy of a lifetime sitting out at about 150 yards. (Of course your 12 ga with slugs may not be up to that task either.)

9. isp2605

isp2605

What's Michigan's law concerning use of something in the 9mm range? Some states prohibit autos, rounds below certain power (ft lbs), number of rds, etc.

10. Glocker74

Glocker74

At close range in the vitals, sure, if it is legal. But you might wind up tracking a blood trail for a mile or so, like bowhunting. I would treat it like bowhunting, get close. Use hollow points.

But I would rather be overpowered than underpowered....more opportunities for success.

11. noway

noway

I've and heard of it being done. If a 9mm round ( 3 actually ) can take down a tougher hog, then it should do a deer in.

Now it is legal in my current state but I wouldn't use one for deer. Just my honest opinion.

12. Berzerker10mm

Berzerker10mm

Here in wisconsin you can take any pistol deer hunting as long as its .22 centerfire or larger and 5.5 inch barrel. But personally i dont know if i would take anything less powerful than a .357 mag.

13. kels

kels

Isnt legal in Kansas.
    Case isnt big enough.
    Can it be done? MAYBE
    Should you do it?
    Thats up to you and the state
    you live in.
    What it comes down to, is
    it enough gun to do the job
    RIGHT?
    Only you can decide.

Best wishes for deer season.

14. Big_Jim

Big_Jim

This rifle would be legal in Michigan (northern) if the capacity is limited to 6rnds. However, as a fellow michigan deer hunter, please do not do this. Get at least a 30-30 and practice. Take deer hunting seriously, they deserve it. If you want to kill something, your Beretta and the 9mm would be more suited to Woodchucks in the summer.

A Walther PPK is legal in michigan for deer hunting but everyone knows its not a suitable caliber, same goes for 9mm.

15. Wrxified

Wrxified

I appreciate everyone's responses. Believe me I do take hunting very seriously. I've done it for 16 years and only 3 of the years did I come home with nothing. I'm interested though in trying new things. I don't want bring it out and end up only wounding the deer.

Kind of makes me wish I'd gone with the .40 in my Storm.

16. ggarciatx

ggarciatx Cold War Sailor

In Texas, you can hunt with a centerfire cartridge, no rimfires. dont know why. in 1993 i found a slightly used camp carbine from marlin in 9mm. took it out to our ranch . walked down ten acres to our stock pond and sat down for a while. a small buck walked down to the edge of the water looked around and lowered its head to drink. i had been there for over half an hour and dozed off earlier. it was later afternoon. i slowly lifted the rifle and squeezed off a 124 grain hydrashok. range was aobut 45 yards i hit it squarely behind the left shoulder. it did not go down immediately. it jumped straight up in the air and took off when it hit the ground. it ran right into a thick patch of mesquite. i guess the shock of the impact confused it. it got hung up about 30 yards away. i ran up to it and ended the suffering with another hydrashok. swore never to use a small round like that for deer again. can it be done. yes. but dont expect miracles. upon field dressing i found the hyrashok perfectly expanded on the right rib cage. nose was bent down but a perfect expansion.

17. TexAg

TexAg

Like a poster said before, be prepared to treat it like bowhunting, shoot at close range and be prepared to track some. The deer may not go down immediately, but if you hit it in the right place it will eventually. Deer run off from time to time even if you obliterate their heart and lungs with a .30-06. They usually don't make it far though on adrenaline alone. I think I'd be more inclined to shoot a deer with such a carbine if it were in .40 or .45 but it would still have to be close, under 80 yards probably and most likely a doe. Of course all deer I refer to in my posts are North and Central Texas deer that are somewhat small (not the big South TX deer or Louisianna monsters either).
    I shot a doe at about 50 yards with my Marlin Model 1894 Cowboy in .45Colt with a load which probably wasn't too different from a .45ACP 230 grain +P and she ran about 30 yards before she went down. She had a VERY broken shoulder and not much lung tissue left, I honestly can't remember if the bullet exited, but i know i did't recover the bullet. When I saw her run I at least knew that I could probably track her from the big .45 hole in her, but she never left my sight.

18. Weston

Weston

Illegal – State law normally defines caliber/weapon selection which changes with season and your specific hunting location. I've never heard of 9 mm as a lawful caliber but who knows.

Unethical – ethical caliber selection is power-spread around which there are some generally accepted, empirically derived guidelines depending on the weight/nature of the prey and the type of shot you anticipate taking. Long shots call for more power as do more dangerous prey. Close shots call for less power and so on. You can search this information on the web or rely on seasoned hunters for recommendations.

Ethically speaking I’ve never selected or “hunted” with anyone that selected 9 mm for deer. On the other hand you do what you have to do when surviving. And if by necessity you need to hunt a deer with a 9 mm, presumably pistol, my suggestion would be to create an elevated blind almost immediately over a trail or watering hole and attempt a neck or head shot from very close range while steadying the pistol on something hard. I’d suppose FMJ would be the most effective.

19. muddydog

muddydog

the standard energy needed for whtietail deer is 1000ft of energy.

being in the north with the large northern deer it would take every bit of it.

BTW..
    i HATE WOUNDED DEER and have had plenty of people show up at my door wanting me to use my beagles to help trail.

then to find out they shot it in the jaw with a inferior round..or something like that.

DEER HUNTING REQUIRES rifles...or an equitable pistol.
    i dont even recommend .357 revolvers for deer..
    FMJ is illegal in most states due to the small hole and minimal tissue damage.

take my advice...
    dont do it..its not about you....
    its about the deer...

20. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

I wouldn't do it unless it was a survival situation.

Why risk wounding a deer that runs off and you never find? In short, don't do it.