Could FFL’s go away?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Mtbkn, Sep 18, 2019.

1. PzGren

PzGren

In order to call a NICS check in, the FFL dcealer has to give the first and last digits of his FFL and then the code word that he previously created. With that info, the NICS transaction number can be filed and any info retrieved.

How would an individual identify himself and how would ATF keep a record of a private seller calling a NICS in? How would the transaction approval be kept on file and ever be found?

2. nmglock

nmglock

Here in New Mexico every sale must go thru an FFL! This was effective on 1 Just 19. Private sales have slowed down. Most people now just sell back to a LGS. Times are changing!

3. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

But if they do guy 1 is f!#$3d!! I know I wouldn't want to be guy 1.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

Exactly why criminals think they can get away with stupid stuff. In this day and age they can prove about anything.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

The govt would never trust the average citizen to do it correctly, checking ID's and completing for sworn form and sending it in...don't see it happening.

6. jstrange

jstrange

That’s probably why they may also push for universal gun registration. If they made everyone register then they could track when the firearms change hands and where they are now. They could go back at any point in a firearm’s transaction history and see a background check was completed.

gh1138 likes this.
  7. Mtbkn

Mtbkn

I don’t have an answer for it... just thinking out loud about it.

You can do your taxes online and never set foot in the irs office and have them mail you a check for thousands of $$. I can also apply for a cwp online. Renew DLs etc. lots of “official” gov business is done online these days.

8. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Remember it's only a crime if you get caught.

9. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

That’s what I can see happening. They will demand we register all currently owned firearms. And then issue a “registration or title” just like a vehicle for them. Then they will start taxing them yearly and require insurance to own them. If you sell or buy a gun, the title is then transferred to the new owner. And you will have to pay a hefty tax and show proof of insurance. It will be just like having a vehicle. Only more expensive. Once the .gov finds they can make $$$ on guns, they will drop the hammer on us.

TGT likes this.
  10. grumpy1

grumpy1

They may demand that all firearms be registered but IMO they would be lucky to get 20 percent participation. The cat is out of the bag now with their true intentions - confiscation. New Zealand also wants full registration since such a small percentage of the banned weapons have been surrendered. I doubt they will have much participation on that also.

gh1138 likes this.
  11. wanderson

wanderson

And let’s not forget that there’s lots of older firearms that just don’t have serial numbers.
    How do you track those?
    I’m all for coming up with a better way to stop straw purchases but this ain’t it.