GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
2,122 Posts
Well, Amazon orders per year:

2020. 408

2019. 306

2018. 183

I bet my wife has the same if not more than me.

It is very much a convenience for us. They just added us to next day delivery on a lot of stuff. They are building two "last mile" distribution centers locally.

·
Registered
12,286 Posts
I honestly have used Amazon Site as a price comparing tool, but seldom find if I looking for item, I can not get better deal elsewhere. There's price are not lowest.

I need nothing today, or tomorrow. USPS or UPS in a week is fine, 10 days is not a big deal.

I surely do not want to make Jeff Bozo the liberal owner richer.

Maybe I am weird I like to talk to people, not text, or email if I have question about product, warranty, or how something works. I like company with live people in USAanswer toll free numbers.

I do have respect for a guy who started in garage selling books, and has become sucessful. Hate his politics, hate Amazona apprently is not a great work place.

Like I said I find better prices elsewhere, don't need it yeasterday, or tomarrow.

Have never bought from Amazon, don't see self doing so.
I have been looking around for an equitorial tracking mount for one of my cameras and like you have been using Amazon for price comparisons.
when I find the one I want, I will buy from the manufacturers or a retailer that exists outside of the internot.

I do find myself buying some small items from Amazon, but mainly because I can get the item the next day.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I like the convenience but could get most of that through Wal Mart and ordering. But I hate Wal Mart's site. It's so slow and hard to manuever.
Or I could get out and drive to the store but what's the fun in that?

·
Registered
732 Posts
One of the best things about Amazon is their return process. The item need not be defective. "No Longer Needed" is a perfectly acceptable reason. You don't even need to re-pack the item. Just drop it off at your local The UPS Store (not necessary to take it to a UPS Customer Center) with a copy of the return request and they re-pack it for you at no charge (along with all the other returns they receive over the course of a day or two). Amazon starts the process of issuing a credit as soon as The UPS Store scans the return request. It's a heck of a lot easier than returning a product to a brick and mortar store. And a hell of a lot easier than most other online retailers.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Nope. Couldn’t get along without Amazon. Could care less about the politics involved, it’s just nice to not have to drive all over town looking for something. Order from Amazon, and it’s on my doorstep a day or two later.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
I suppose I could do without it, but I do buy a few things from them now and then. I just bought a case for my Galaxy Tab A7 off eBay, for a couple of bucks less than Amazon, with free shipping too. It just depends.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I've bought some stuff there, but seeing how I made it through about the first 55 years of my life without it, I imagine I could scrape by if the whole thing disappeared tomorrow.
So, what've you been doing for the last 10 years?

(LOL)

·
Registered
30,049 Posts
I just checked.
I have something in my "Shopping Cart" now, about $5, but I usually wait until my order gets up to about $25 so there's no shipping charge.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I have been looking around for an equitorial tracking mount for one of my cameras and like you have been using Amazon for price comparisons.
when I find the one I want, I will buy from the manufacturers or a retailer that exists outside of the internot.

I do find myself buying some small items from Amazon, but mainly because I can get the item the next day.

BHP NYC aka B & H Photo use to be my go to for all things photography.

·
Registered
14,443 Posts
It’s definitely it what it used to be. It’s rarely cheaper than other sources anymore. And the shipping isn’t exactly lightning fast anymore either.

I use it out of habit and convenience now. I have the app on my phone and all it takes is a button press and a confirmation to make a purchase.

·
Mountain Man
6,854 Posts
I am a crazy stupid price checker, and when doing my grocery shopping I may sometimes only stop at one store, but more typically stop at as few as two or as many as five or more places to get the best deals on what I actually want to purchase.

I have made 172 separate Amazon purchases in 2020 alone.

In a few of those cases I could have gotten the item for slightly less money somewhere else, but I would have had to have paid for shipping at the seemingly less expensive outlet - making the Amazon purchase less expensive.

In a few of those cases I could have gotten the item for slightly less money somewhere else, but with my 5% back on all Amazon purchases (not to mention the 0.5% kickback to the charity of my choice) the Amazon purchase ends up being less expensive.

In a few of the cases I could get the product cheaper by going to a storefront, but for something less than 1-2% I get the product delivered to me by purchasing through Amazon. If I agree to take a longer shipping period rather than 2 days Amazon will give me a buck or two in credit with then puts me ahead. :)

In the other 95%++ of the cases where I purchased through Amazon instead of Ebay, Walmart, or other vendor, Amazon gave me the best price.

·
Registered
12,286 Posts
BHP NYC aka B & H Photo use to be my go to for all things photography.
Actually more like astronomy equipment, but yes. B&H and Adaorama both good sources for such things.
I'm not familiar with the other two you mentioned.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts