Could an S10 tow 2000lbs?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by emt1581, Feb 16, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'm lookiing at buying a safe that weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000lbs. I know my S10 wouldn't do well across 65 miles with it in the flatbed, but if I rent a trailor, I'm wondering if it'd be find pulling that much weight or will it screw up the truck?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. sputnik767

sputnik767

If it couldn't I wouldn't consider it a truck. Look at the max towing capacity, and make sure the trailer weight and cargo weight don't exceed it. My 4-cyl tacoma can tow 3500 lbs, I would assume you are in the same ballpark. I have hauled a measured 1800 lbs of gravel in my tacoma, which is 300 lbs over capacity.

3. boats1

boats1

Given less than 300 lb. tongue weight and a class 3 hitch....yes.

4. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

This sounds about right.

I would consider renting a U-Haul for the day though (or cheapest rent a truck you can find), because your truck could do it, but why risk it. Last thing you would want is to damage your transmition or break something else. If you rent a truck, you don't have to worry about anything. Just my .02 :wavey:.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  5. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

Don't forget to factor in the weight of the trailer.

Also, you could rent an F150 or equivalent at U-Haul for $19.95 + $0.69 per mile, and that would be able to haul the safe in the bed, and you wouldn't be putting that stress on your own vehicle.

6. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

But to rent a truck costs like $50 PLUS a buck a mile no? And this is a 65 mile trip.

I was planning on renting a trailer and then tow the safe.

I'm confused with the replies though...could my S10 easily tow 2000lbs or would it be pushing it's limits at that point?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I didn't know it was that cheap. I figured it'd be at least $100. But if I drove my car TO U-Haul, picked up the truck and went to the pick-up point then to my home...and then dropped the truck off at u-haul a mile up the road...that would be $50-$65 tops. Plus the cost of gas.

How much extra does U-Haul charge if you drop the truck off at another location a state away?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

8. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

It is a lot more expensive if you return it to the a different location than you bought it from.

What configuration is your S10? Meaning what engine does it have, is it four wheel drive, regular cab or extended cab?

9. gh0st614

gh0st614

65 miles would be 130 both ways. Your lookin at $100 in mileage plus gas and the rental fee.

Check like enterprise or something, go rent a truck/van for way less for the whole day.

10. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

I'm not to sure about U-haul's pricing, but I do know you need to look shop around for your best price (I think I have had better pricing from Budget). Also if you are able to do this during the week, you will get a better price, they raise their prices on the weekends because of demand.

I'm not sure is that tow would be easy for your S10, they are a small truck and depending on if it's 4 cylinder or V6 will make a difference. Also the tow capability also has to do with breaking, the breaks will be under more stress trying to stop that much more weight. You need to check on your truck, there will be a sticker (I think on the inside of the drivers door) that will give you the max tow weight of the truck. Also you will need a hitch, a ball on the bumper just will not work with that much weight (there should be a weight limit posted for your bumper).

11. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

+1

There will be a sticker on the driver side door jam that lists the truck's capacities.

You will need a hitch, and wiring hook up to rent from U-Haul. Also, the trailer they have that has the capacity to haul that safe weighs 1700lbs empty, so with a safe in there that will most likely be at the capacity of your truck if not exceeding it.

Your best bet would be to find the cheapest place that rents trucks, or get a case of beer for a buddy with a full sized truck or SUV.

12. glockski

glockski

I use to tow a 3000 lb. boat with an S10 on a regular basis make sure you have the right hitch and if an automatic tranny put it in 3 so you don't go into overdrive.

13. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Mine is an extended cab. Either 93 or 95 year. It has 4wd. And I'm not sure we even have a ball hitch on it...

-Emt1581

14. packin23

packin23 Welcome Wagon

I pulled a 6000 lb trailer with an S10 Blazer. It did have 4x4 and the 4.6 liter engine. I'd say if you have the V6 and no steep inclines you should be good. Be sure to center the load over the axles of the trailer, keep it out of overdrive, and take it at a moderate speed.

15. rgb03

rgb03

16. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

Just guessing here, but it sounds like that truck is just a beater. In that case I would just toss it in the bed. The suspension will be squatting like crazy, but it should be fine.

17. Slacker

Slacker Millennium Member

If it is a 2wd 4cyl auto. S10 I wouldn't attempt it. If it has the 4.3 V6 and a receiver hitch then it should handle the load just fine. Your main concern is stopping. Will you have alot of hills you will have to go down? 2000lbs is one heck of a safe!!! Have you considered how you will load and unload this safe? You may be better off hiring someone to move it for you.

18. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Assuming first that the weight of the load + trailer is within the truck's rated tow capacity...

Do you have the 4.3 Liter V6 engine?
    If yes, it'll easily tow that load. That engine is a torque monster for it's size.

Which transmission do you have? The 4-speed automatic? The manual?
    Either way, assuming that the transmission is in decent condition towing that load should present no problem at all.

19. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I think it will tow it fine on a traler. Good luck with your purchase.

20. chevy01234

chevy01234

Do you have any friends with bigger trucks? Buy their gas and a case of beer to help you! How else were you planning on getting a 2,000lb safe in/out trailer alone?

If not, I wouldn't worry too much about tearing the truck up, it's 65 miles and not that heavy of a load!