close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Could a replacement barrel create legal issues?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by CoyoteDrifter, Aug 13, 2012.

1. CoyoteDrifter

CoyoteDrifter

I like to carry an OEM G33 barrel in my G27. Is there any potential for this to create a legal issue if it were used for defence?

2. barth

barth six barrels

I've read Mas state he has defensive guns with third party barrel(s) (Jarvis).

Example:
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob54.html
    Home handgun defense
    Simplicity suffices
    By Massad Ayoob
    Issue #54 • November/December, 1998

You can get as high-tech as you feel you might need when you select the firearm(s) you'll use to protect your family. I "do firearms" for a living, and the gun I prefer to have at the bedside is a customized Beretta 92 with super-accurate Jarvis barrel and kick-reducing Magna-Port. It has night sights and an attached SureFire flashlight, and is loaded with an extended 20-round magazine of 115 grain +P+ 9mm hollowpoints.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

3. sciolist

sciolist

The short answer is, everything you do has potential to cause legal issues.

4. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

You could point out the possibility of a malfunction in a modified gun, was much more possible, and thus you didn't set out with any intention of shooting or killing someone, just trying to protect yourself.

(If that doesn't work, you're on your own)

5. tonyparson

tonyparson

6. oldman11

oldman11

My answer would be that it made me more accurate, therefore less chance of me missing and hitting an innocent bystander.

7. FiremanBob

FiremanBob

I agree with oldman.

8. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

If used in a defense situation it's not going to matter whether you have the stock barrel, a barrel from a different model or an aftermarket barrel. I don't think the BG is going to know the difference once their shot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. abq87120

abq87120

From what I've been told, you want to keep it stock and use the same ammo as your local cops. I live in a state where there is no civil suit if the cops declare the SD action as righteous. But when I live in NM, it was considered a Gold Mine state by the plaintiff lawyers. That was a good state to keep it off-the-shelf.

10. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

You stated the barrel was a Glock-produced OEM 357sig barrel. With that barrel installed, your G27 becomes EXACTLY equivalent to a standard-issue G33. Any lawyer objection to a G33 would be so far out in left field that it would fall in the "try ANYTHING and hope to get lucky in court" doctrine, and we are vulnerable to that angle simply by even carrying in public.

11. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Hobbit"

My answer to this question based on my experience. A good shoot is a good shoot. A bad one is the next case law....TXPO

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  12. JW1178

JW1178

Good answer.

I'm sure it depends on where you live. Here in GA you could have used a civil war cannon.

No joke, if that's all they have to go on it would be a joke. For them to indict you, they have to prove you broke the law.

Exactly.

13. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

The perfect answer, well done!

14. 1234Havasu

1234Havasu

If you use your weapon for SD, a good shoot is a good shoot. Even though the DA has the ability to put you in jail, if you have broken no laws, he is not your enemy. He is bound by the law.

The victim and/or his family are not so restricted. Their attorney will look for any molehill he feels he can turn into a mountain. He will do everything he can to vilify you.....and it doesn't matter if he's right or wrong. It only matters if he can convince a judge or jury of his point of view.

Keep the molehills to a minimum. Never give the opposition ammunition.

15. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Consider this case: I install a Cominolli or Siderlock safety on my Glock. That Glock is involved in a shooting. The installed safety SHOULD be a factor in my favor. But the opposing lawyer claims that my adding a safety to the standard issue Glock setup demonstrates my lack of confidence in my own judgement and training, since most of the users of Glocks in the world are willing to use the Glock WITHOUT an external applied safety!

The opposition can cobble up ammunition in ANY circumstance.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  16. tonyparson

tonyparson

When I read some of these posts, I wonder how many of these guy have tinfoil hats on...:supergrin:

17. JW1178

JW1178

They can't prove what goes on in your head and even if you did have lack in confidence, how would that prove negligence? The judge will throw that out and tell the attorney to stop wasting the court's time. No decent lawyer would even take that case because they have bigger fish to fry. The only attorney that would take that case would be a sorry lawyer that wants to actually be in the court room instead of just doing research for the real lawyers. So you would have nothing to worry about. Real lawyers are very proud of their win/loss record, kind of like a boxer or MMA fighter. Nobody will hire a lawyer that has a high loss record. So once again, nothing to worry about.

I have been sued once. When I was 16 I litterally grazed by a lady's back bumper and it broke my corner lense which cut into her bumper. Two years later she sued me saying that the accident caused her anxiety or something like that and her son was having nightmares ever since. Never went to court, the judge threw it out with prejiduce.

18. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT Ex-Gunslinger

If you shoot someone in SD you will be sued.

Pretty simple.

I have a friend that was a Pulaski Co. Deputy and he shot and killed a BG AFTER he repeatedly told the BG to put his gun down and AFTER the BG had already fired at the Deputy 2 times and was preparing to shoot again.

Deputy got sued. Even before the BG was put on a slab one of the fly by night ambulance chasing lawyers had already filed a wrongful death law suit against the Deputy.

If this happens to LEO in a "Good shoot" what do you think will happen to you?

Bottom line is if you shoot someone in SD and even if it's a "good shoot" you need to look at your 401(k) because that's what it's going to cost you. And then some.

The Deputy that I know spent the next 3 years in court of the matter.

Some state do limit civil suits but if your state doesn't it'll cost you even if you gun is bone stock and you was using a wax blank.

Pretty simple.

19. jmb79

jmb79

I think many of them.

The barrel in the pistol will not matter one bit to anyone.

20. dkf

dkf

Not in my state.

What is the difference between a G27 with an OE Glock G33 barrel in it and a G33? Nothing but labeling.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012