Couches: Leather vs Fabric vs Microfiber vs Suede

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock&KimberLady, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

All right, so our couches are over ten years old and showing the effects of multiple children and multiple butts (not to mention spills and such).

The seat covers are removable and washable, and I can wash them and the small pillows that go on the couches periodically; the big back cushions cannot be washed and so must be steam cleaned, which is a huge PITA.

That, and they're pretty damn ugly. :wow:

Hubby wants leather couches (I have one old cat who only scratches on the dining room table :steamed: ), a chihuahua, and four kids.

I like the idea microfiber because it's easy to clean but someone said it makes your butt sweat. I'm not into sweaty butts.

We've done the fabric route and it's becoming a real PITA. Wrestling covers back onto cushions wears me out.

My complaint about leather is that it's winter +6 months here, and leather is cold. And slippery!

(I should note that the last set of couch/loveseat we looked at was leather, but more like the soft leather, not the slippery kind. Downside was that they dyed the leather in Italy and then ship the couches back, which made no sense, and took three months. WTH?)

So, what kind of couches do you have and what do you like?

2. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

I have a suede couch. I love it. It's soft and looks good. The major downside to it is that it creates static electricity like there is no tomorrow. I can't touch anything without a zap. Not so bad in the summer but when it is dry in the winter time it's like a lightning storm in the house.

3. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Buy leather couches and move somewhere warmer.

:supergrin:

4. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

Actually, the static electricity could be kind of fun here. Could make those "special moments" on the couch especially electrifying. :rofl:

jtmac: Not a chance in hell of moving. :supergrin:

5. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

I've got a microfiber Phsedo Suede couch and it does get warm on your underside, in addition you can't slide into a comfy postistion without getting a wedgy, and the thing is a pain to keep clean.

Next couches will be leather, end of story. Last longer, slide into comfort, easy to clean and they warm up just fine after a minute.

6. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

A good leather couch is hard to beat. I have two and they are, aside from the king sized no wave waterbed, the most comfortable place to relax in the house.

edit: they do get cold, but in the summer they stay cool and feel great.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  7. Shima

Shima

I guess I'm weird because I don't like cold, slippery leather furniture or upholstry. I have dogs that we allow on the couch and have no desire to see paw scratches all over my couch. If I were a bachelor with no pets, maybe it would be different because leather couches make me think bachelor pad furniture. ???

8. Hawkwood

Hawkwood

Got a leather couch and loveseat. Also have a cat and a dog, who frequent the couch. Never a problem with spills and the cat (who formerly destroyed two fabric couches) won't scratch the leather. I cannot recommend them enough. They look great, and any scratch can be buffed out, and any defect just makes the furniture look more worn in and unique.

9. captainstormy

captainstormy

I love my leather couch. I don't have pets or kids though. I can say its very very comfortable. It does feel a little cold in the winter at first when you sit down. But after a couple of minutes your body heat really starts to warm the area of the couch your sitting on, so it gets quite warm and comfy.

10. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

My recliner is leather, and I love it. Next time we buy furniture, it's gonna be a leather couch and loveseat.

The only furniture I've ever loved has been made of leather. If you can afford it, you should go for it.

Good leather isn't cold in winter. Cheap leather and vinyl are both cold in winter.

11. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

Whatever you do AVOID THE MICRO FIBER at any and all cost. You will drive yourself crazy trying to keep it clean. Go ahead, ask me how I know.

12. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

I have had/have micro fiber, all kinds of cloth. My last purchase was a good quality Italian leather sofa and love seat. I have never been so happy with a purchase. Oh, my sister and brother bring the dogs over all the time "4" of them no scratches on the leather. They jump up and down on the leather all the time.
    I am sure I am going to spell this wrong but the brand is Natuzzi ?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  13. 03 Jarhead

03 Jarhead Stiff Member

We have leather upstairs and basement. Can't beat it. As was stated earlier, it warms up after a minute so that's not really an issue. I think we probably have as much winter as you do. :supergrin: :wavey:

14. area727

area727 G23

We got a couple leather couches a couple years back...they've been excellent. 2 cats (no claws), and 2 young kids...they're still in great shape. Very comfy.

15. Nords

Nords

This.

My buddy bought a bunch of these couches and the fibers will trap as much small debris as possible, and its almost impossible to brush the stuff off with your hands.

16. Alan

Alan CLM Millennium Member

This x 2

I absolutely HATE our microfiber recliners. I'm buying leather next time!
    :steamed:

17. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Actually, we've been eyeing this Natuzzi sofa w/chair in cream white micro-fiber. The sales people tell us they clean up easily. Maybe not such a good idea, wouldn't want to go crazy.....:supergrin: My wife thinks our leather recliners are too cold and likes the warmer fabric. May have to rethink the leather thing....

[​IMG]

18. Chad Landry

Micro-fiber sucks. Don't let the sales persons fool you.

19. okie

okie GT Mayor

I'm not hip to leather furniture, do you dig where I'm coming from:supergrin:

20. Chad Landry

Do you know what I am saying?