Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Methberry PD
5,738 Posts
Interesting article. I have my own thoughts about Kimbers, after watching my best friend suffer during the ownership of one. Let's just say my Glock 21C NIB was more reliable and accurate than his NIB Kimber that we bought the same month. He sold his boat anchor the first chance he got.

·
Super Moderator
18,716 Posts
Hmm....ammo issue perhaps? :dunno:

1911's can be finicky feeding some hollowpoints.
More likely, because they're Kimbers. Ammo sensitivity doesn't make parts fall off the gun.

·
Unfair Facist
26,963 Posts
But 4949 knows what makes ammo fall out of magazines.

:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Wow you rmember that story!

You remain sharp as a tack in your old age. :supergrin:

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
I am starting to hear such bad things about Kimbers. Even though our SWAT and SIS carry Kimbers, recently when the Department authorized 1911's for the rank and file, almost all went with Springfield Armory instead.

·
Unfair Facist
26,963 Posts

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
More likely, because they're Kimbers. Ammo sensitivity doesn't make parts fall off the gun.
+1

As I said in the other thread about this, its no surprise to me. 1911's aren't the best choice for a general issue weapon, with Kimber's probably being the worst choice.

I've been messing around with 1911's for about 6 years now. After owning, researching, reading on the net and talking to people its my belief that Kimber makes the most untrustworthy 1911's on the market. My Kimber Pro TLE was completely unreliable even with hardball and top quality mags. I've read and heard more complaints about Kimbers than anyother 1911 manufacturer.

·
Registered
32,207 Posts
Being a lefty and a 1911 user I know that the right side of the safety lever will loosen over time and can fall off on it's own. Any other part is a little much.

Scwartz safety guns unless done right can go really bad real easy.

·
Hook 'Em Up
4,212 Posts
Kimber is the Bushmaster of 1911's.

10 years ago Colt's quality had slipped, and they were getting by on name brand recognition. Kimber (and Bushmaster) were putting out a good product, with better QC than Colt (at the time), at a lower price. They (both Kimber and Bushmaster) ramped up their production, and bypassed Colt as the the major producer in both markets. Colt got smart, and a new CEO (former Marine) who put the stress back on quality. Both Kimber and Bushmaster fell into the same trap of leaning too heavily on name recognition, and they have both let QC fall. The difference is that neither of the those companies have the history of Colt, and their QC has fallen a lot further than Colt let theirs slip.

Kimbers and Bushmasters made 10 years ago are good and reliable weapons. I wouldn't call them as good as a Colt made today, but they were better than Colts at the time... These days I think they are just north of crap. I love my old Bushy, but I wouldn't buy one new these days.

·
MDW Guns
3,745 Posts
From all 1911 I ever had come through, Kimber had always a problem.
Well, on the other side, I never had any SIG GSR! :whistling:
It always seemed to me that Kimber buys the cheapest parts and their frames looked like glued together.
I bet you if they bought WC, EB, LB or NH 1911, they would love them with no problems.
Wilson is know to make deals for military or LE, so they proberly would not have cost too much more.
Even a Para Ordinance is better then a Kimber.
On the other side, problems with a SIG 552?
I would take a 552 any time over a M4. There must be more to that story.

·
Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
5,908 Posts
Short-barrelled 1911s are notorious for having many reliability issues. It's very, very difficult to overcome the physics of drastically lightening the slide mass, increasing the recoil spring and mainspring tension, completely changing the slide velocity both rearward and forward, asking the case rim to properly slip under the extractor much faster than originally designed....

These guns were probably doomed from the start.

·
MDW Guns
3,745 Posts
LOL, those were less then 4 1/4 inch barreled 1911?
I never found one of these 3" 1911 to work 100%.
Who ever bought those did not know a thing about 1911!

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
My two Colt Commanders work just fine.

Though I have heard the remarks that John M. Browning designed the 1911 to work with a 5 inch barrel.

·
Cover is Code 3
4,267 Posts
I never really understood why every agency doesn't issue Glocks... at an officer price of $398 per, and at an agency price of presumably way less than that; you get an ultra reliable weapon at 1/3 of the price of the problematic Kimbers.

Then, in 15 years, you can resell the Glocks to the local gun shop and order new ones, and recoup probably 65% of the initial investment.

Interesting that they made the information about the trade-in public, I wonder how many buyers will be lining up to buy a used LE gun at a markup that they a) know the wholesale price of; and b) know are problematic...

·
Keystone Cop
2,145 Posts
I never really understood why every agency doesn't issue Glocks... at an officer price of $398 per, and at an agency price of presumably way less than that; you get an ultra reliable weapon at 1/3 of the price of the problematic Kimbers.

Then, in 15 years, you can resell the Glocks to the local gun shop and order new ones, and recoup probably 65% of the initial investment.

Interesting that they made the information about the trade-in public, I wonder how many buyers will be lining up to buy a used LE gun at a markup that they a) know the wholesale price of; and b) know are problematic...
This.

I thought the same thing after reading the article.

·
MDW Guns
3,745 Posts
... at an officer price of $398 per, and at an agency price of presumably way less than that; ...
Since last summer the LE price is $424 for the small frame Glocks and $473 for the large frame Glocks.
You are right on the rest!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts