Costco Walmart and such

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by wjv, Feb 14, 2020.

1. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

So I've gone to Costco and Walmart several times in the past few weeks and noticed a few things.

At our local Walmart, the #10 cans of freeze dried camping / emergency foods are almost gone and I haven't seen any restocking. very unusual as I check that area quite a bit and pick up a can when they have something I want. If they are being restocked, they are being bought out as fast as they are being put out. Only the odd or expensive choices are there such as the Powdered Honey or Blueberries for $32 a can are left. Seems like bleach is also a popular item.

At Costco last week I saw a lot of people with water and TP in their carts. Saw one guy with a cart literally filled to the brim with several types of canned meats. Today I was there and a couple had one of the large 4 wheel flat carts, and they were loading it with bottled water. (40 bottles per case for $2.99). I grabbed a couple cases myself. But they had more cases of water than I could count. The lady saw me looking and said "We have a cabin with no drinking water so we are stocking up." Could be true or maybe the cabin is for bugging-out or ?????

Anyway. . . I just have a feeling that some people are seeing the potential for this virus to disrupt society and are quietly preparing before the mad rush.

Wonder how guns and ammo sales are these past couple of weeks. . . Anybody here work in a gun store?

Grayson likes this.
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Mountain House Classic Bucket on Amazon was like $87 a few weeks ago, now $125 and more.

3. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

my wife is very much in touch with the Chinese community here and apparently we had a troupe in town from China a couple of weeks ago (for some sort of Chinese New Year entertainment show), and this troupe went to the local Costco and Rosedale mall. The whole local Chinese community is talking about this and how none of them will go to either of these places for a long, long time. The local Chinese people want nothing to do with the Chinese community now. they are all paranoid someone they know would have some viral connection to this coronavirus.

4. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

Are you in Virginia? Is it time?

glock_collector likes this.
  5. coyotehitman

coyotehitman

Boys and girls, wash your hands and soldier on!

6. Deltic

Deltic

If you want to stay at home for a few weeks regular canned food is fine. In fact I expect the power will stay on even if we have an epidemic so a freezer full of food will be useful. All I am doing is getting some typical cold and flu supplies, Pepto bismal, cough medicine, electrolytes and chicken soup.

Grayson likes this.
  7. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Death. Bring it!

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Article today about how hand sanitizer is out of stock all over. Gojo is working overtime.

9. DrVlad

DrVlad Millennium Member

Also, the basic 3M NIOSH M95 respirators are sold out online. 3M stated they will be upping production in attempt to catch up.

Not sure what the shelves look like regarding respirators, but actually am curious and will be at Lowe’s and Home Depot later so plan to look.

10. Grayson

Grayson

Surgical Masks are GONE here. Surprised sanitizer isn't yet.

Never noticed #10 cans of freeze dried food at my local Wally (not a Super), only the pouch entrees.

IMO, people stocking up in case things get bad, rather than fooling around until things DO get bad, is a good thing. Just sucks with things like the mask shortages. Though as I think about it...is that really people hoarding, or the whole "just in time" system being caught with it's pants down by unexpected demand?

11. bdcochran

bdcochran

Absolutely. Starting a month ago, I realized that the unprepared relatives in town would continue in the same vein and come mooching. When the girlfriend insisted on taking her 44 year old baby to the doctor and then helping him at work every day (the doctor told him to stay home), the reality set in. So, I have quietly stockpiled enough to carry some moochers a month. They will survive it. They will never use the experience to prepared for the next problem. They will never say thank you either.

Ross-in-Pa likes this.
  12. Colt M-4

Colt M-4 AK-74 Silver Member

OH cheeeese everybody go out now today or Monday put $5,000 on the c.c. card And buy up all the T.P. paper towels sanitized gloves and such and some canned food.And sit back in a month and look at it and say Why did i do that. And have a garage sale later on of what you have left. Just like those guys i remember bought those $2,000 plus 6920's and $500 buck cases of Green tip.Most still all have it. Since after they all tried to sell it when prices dropped.

They got stuck with it.
    Well now 5 years later who knew. That stuff will come in handy....

Most will all get past this moment.And guys that have teen daughters tell them..Back off when the boyfriend says its the end of the world can i just have a little touch.It might be the carnivore, And i always thought the 1979 Alien pix595501046.jpg Face Hugger was bad!

13. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

tuna, kippered herring.. every time I go