Cost To Replace A Timing Belt (Hyundai Tucson)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by USMCsilver, Mar 2, 2010.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Hi. 60k miles are almost here for my wife's '05 V6 Tucson. I think the dealer states that the 60k service is around $800. The only thing required to keep the 100k warranty valid is to have the timing belt changed at this benchmark.

Any idea how much it would be for a "mechanics shop" to do this? And, it is pretty straight forward, or would this be better for a "Certified Hyundai Technician"?

Thanks...:wavey:

2. RenoF250

RenoF250

For my Accord an independent shop was about half the dealer rate. I just did the last change myself. If you have an independent do it, use someone familiar with Hyundais. It can be done wrong and cause big problems.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010

3. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Ya
    Probably not a lot of us with Hyundi pricing experience.

The time I had a cam belt replaced on a Chrysler 4 by and independent shop, it cost me $300.

4. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

I have no experience with Hundai's but if you are worried about the warranty then just have them do it. I know you can take it somewhere else and have it done but how much is it worth to fight them if there is a warranty issue that they blame on the work being done incorrectly.

5. gbambeck1

gbambeck1 Tinfoiler

Make sure Hyundai will honor the shop your using for the warranty. A friend of mine got screwed on his S-10 because chevy stated they werent a prefered shop or something of that nature.

6. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

True...but $400 is still $400. :whistling:

I will most likely heed this advice...

7. Ricky T

Ricky T Millennium Member

While the price at the Hyundai dealer seems high and independent shops' prices vary, it is small when you compare it to the cost of the repair if the old belt breaks. That damage could be over several thousand dollars.
    My uncle didn't replace his Honda Civics belt as recommended and he ended up paying almost $3000 to fix the engine when that belt broke.

8. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

That puts things into perspective. Hell...I don't even really know what it does. LOL. Pistons/rods/camshafts or something along those lines? :tongueout:

9. Steve0853

Steve0853

I don't know what is recommended, but I changed my Honda Pilot out at 125,000 and its about due for another one.

60,000 is quite often for that kind of expense. Its certainly worth factoring into the cost of the vehicle when considering purchasing.

FWIW......I would go the Hyundai Dealer route with that kind of repair. But...in my area, the reputable independent shops are kinda pricey. Sometimes the dealer will beat them by few bucks.

Be sure to go ahead and replace the water pump and any other drive belts while they have the front of the engine exposed.

10. G26Okie

G26Okie

Correct, the timing belt is responsible for keeping the proper timing of the pistons/camshafts and valves. It depends on the motor if it would cause damage if the belt breaks however. If the motor is non-interference such as in my Focus, the valves and pistons do not overlap, so if the belt breaks they will not touch.

If you have an interference motor, and the belt breaks the valves and pistons will collide with each other and your motor will need to be rebuilt.

11. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

I always change my own.If you're not able to, it's gonna cost you $$$ where ever you go.

12. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Take a hard look at the other items on the 60K service list. As a long time Mechanic and former Toyota and GM tech I can tell you, those things help a car go a lot longer.

The reason you hear about a lot of little foriegn cars lasting so long is the maintence. In my personal vehicles automatic trans are flushed every 30K. This is an invaluable service to the lifetime of an auto trans. Many times they will also sell you an intake cleaning treatment. This is not a BS service. Cleaning the carbon deposits of the back of intake valves along is worth the money. It makes an engine run much better in cold weather and keeps it starting easily in cold weather also. They probably include a brake flush, many do at 60K. If the brake fluid is still good and clean you do not need this service at this time. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, so if its turning black or dark colors, you should get this done, as it will prevent the rusting from the inside of metal brake lines and the failure if your individual components. There is no need to flush perfectly good fluid though, look close at it before you pay. The timing belt should obviously be done on schedule, its a no brainer.

Of course, all of this is moot if you arent planning on keeping it a long time. If you want to be able to keep it past 200K, and trust it, you should look at doing some of the suggested maintenance.

Coming from someone who has done it for quite a while it does make a difference. Will it guarantee that a trans lasts 300K? nope. But it will make it more likely.

13. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Local shop just quoted, "5 to 6 hours labor, plus parts and fees (hazmat stuff). Labor is $80.00 per hour."

So, that would be (here, in MD) around $480 in labor and parts (they'll mark 'em up at least 25%), plus fees (shop rags and chemicals), plus tax (6%).

Get the repairs/maintenance done at the dealer. . . and keep your warranty!

14. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

She says she's going to drive it until the wheels fall off, so we'll see. I'm about ready to share that philosophy. We've had over 10 new vehicles in 9.5 years of marriage. It's silly...and we're done buying cars/trucks/SUV's. :steamed:

15. Z71bill

Z71bill

Don't "JUST" replace the belt - have them also replace the idler pulley or whatever Hyundai calls it.

I had the Nissan dealer replace the timing belt in my Nissan pickup at 60K - then 15K miles later as I was driving down the road the engine stalls -

I coasted into a service station - and the owner was an X Toyota tech :supergrin:- he looked at it and said it seems like a broken timing belt.

He tore into it and the belt was fine - but the idler pulley had gone out -

The pulley cost $20 - and Nissan did not replace it -

16. happy seal

happy seal

Bring it up here, I'll do it for free. Then we'll head out to the sound and fly fish for some stripers! :wavey:

17. Zagato

Zagato

if it was out of warranty, id do it for a six pack. sounds like youll just have to bite the bullet on this one. is it a timing belt or a serpentine belt? id guess the latter, and that pretty much runs everything( cams, AC, water pump, power steering pump etc.) so its not something you should put off.

ETA: if you do have a private shop do it, make sure they use an OEM Hyundai part or your warranty will be voided, in case you werent aware.

18. Steve0853

Steve0853

USMC.......this sounds like a win-win to me.

19. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

I had two done one a Toyota and the other a Honda. If I remember correctly one was about five hundred and the other six hundred. I did both at the respective dealers and felt that it was the way to go.

20. Spence

Spence

This is good advice. You dont want to be charged $500 or more again for them to get at that pulley belt tensioner. I change my own as well and it is a pain in the rear. Figures that a $20 belt would cost $500 or more to put in. They are a major pain to get to, at least they are when they are done in a driveway.