Correct position of RSA

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by mtnwinds2, Oct 22, 2020.

1. mtnwinds2

mtnwinds2

I'm building a Polymer 80 version of the G40. Lone Wolf slide with Glock internals upper and lower. Everything functions fine until I add the RSA. It doesn't matter if it's a Glock or an aftermarket RSA, the slide will sometimes bind or even jam in the full rearward position when I manually rack the slide. It doesn't happen when firing the pistol.

When disassembling, the RSA will always be out of it barrel seat either partially or completely.
    It's obvious the problem is with the fitting of the RSA. So, my questions is, should the rear of the RSA stay in its barrel seat during the firing sequence or does it move around?

I'm wondering if I've removed too much material from the frame. Really appreciate any insights anyone may have.

I posted in this section hoping to avoid the negative comments some folks feel obliged to make regarding Polymer 80 vs Glock.

2. mtnwinds2

mtnwinds2

I found the problem. The recoil spring channel needed to be opened up about 1/32" and then polished smooth.

knoxrocks222 likes this.

3. mtnwinds2

mtnwinds2

I discovered additional information after opening up and polishing the channel. The original problem returned and I discovered that the barrel hood was galling the top, inside of the slide as it recoiled. I was told by Lone Wolf that that was a common problem with a tight fitting barrel. Perhaps?? I'll stone the affected surfaces and see what happens.

When I initially fit the barrel, it required a little stoning of the sides of barrel hood tab that mates with the breech face but there was no indication that the front edge of the hood would gall the inside of the slide. It cycled very smoothly by hand.

4. mtnwinds2

mtnwinds2

After stoning the front edge of the hood as well as the inside top surface of the slide, the problem is resolved....for good! The difference in slide movement is like night and day; much smoother and no grittiness whatsoever.
    I was able to empty a magazine without a single out of battery incident. 20201025_195503.jpg 20201025_195631-001.jpg
    Building this Polymer80 has been a great experience. I now understand how the various parts of the Glock interact and have more appreciation for its design.