close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by nicfit212, May 11, 2007.

1. nicfit212

nicfit212 Exiled Urbanite

Post-apocalyptic account of a father and his young son scrounging for food while dodging cannibalistic highwaymen, cannibalistic cults, and some other nice people. Try explaining that to YOUR ten-year old. Extremely haunting and bleak, very compelling.

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Oprahs-Book-Club/dp/0307387895

2. jake9

jake9

McCarthy is one of my all-time favorite writers. I would also say he is probably the greatest living American author today. To those that haven't read him, pick up one of his books and you'll experience some of the finest literature ever.

3. spork

spork Caffeinator

I highly recommend this book. I actually found this story to be less bleak than some of his earlier works. Nonetheless, if you liked this, then I recommend No Country for Old Men and Blood Meridian.

4. nicfit212

nicfit212 Exiled Urbanite

I'll definitely check those out, if only to see what could be even more bleak than the relentlessly burned, blasted, melted, soot-coated landscape he depicts here. I'm still trying to figure out what made it so impossible to put down.

5. Spartan18BS

Spartan18BS

This book was very very dark and bleak.
    You cannot think about it to much or will find yourself saving just 1 round no matter what...

6. ChillWillDrums

ChillWillDrums Guns and Drums

Reading it right now! Unbelievably dark, haunting book. Makes you think long and hard about your preps, and how difficult it would be to face the horrors of a post-apocalyptic world with children to protect. Highly recommended, thought provoking read.....

7. oldbadge

oldbadge

There is a movie coming out in November based on No Country for Old Men they are some trailers on the net.

8. duho7761

duho7761 I'm a nurse.

Just finished"'The Road" last night. Very dark. VERY depressing. Very tender. In the end, hopefull.

I seriously recomend this book to any man (or woman) who either has or wants a child. True dedication.

9. Oasis

Oasis

Just to voice a different opinon, I read "The Road," and I don't like the way this author thinks, or the places his mind goes.

"No Country For Old Men" had one of the lamest endings I've read in a long while.

I'm all for everyone's right to read his books and sing his praises. Personally however, I think my hours spent reading this author are among the few that were absolutely wasted.

10. boomcat

boomcat

I Loved it! Especially meaningful for fathers. This man and son are trying to trek hundreds of miles through an ash-covered wasteland with a shopping cart, a dozen cans of food and a revolver with three rounds left. And it's snowing.

11. william_h

william_h

whew...incredible. I was wiping tears out of my eyes to get through the last page.

12. Pyro

Pyro

I really liked it and it was definetly bleak. I loaned it to a like minded friend and he said "it was the most depressing book he ever read.":upeyes:

13. repooc

repooc Millennium Member

The most chilling, brutal book I have ever read. I read it in one sitting and I was shaking afterward. It is very minimilistic and shows the true nature of humans. Survival is everything.
    Long live the humans.