Cork dilema.

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Soldat, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Soldat

Soldat Big Dwarf Rodeo

I recently purchased a small whiskey jug for my brother. The problem is that some genius shoved the cork through the neck, so now it's rattling around inside. He is going to use this jug to drink from so the cork has got to go.

I was thinking I could get a rod and try to break up the cork. However I can easily see myself getting in a hurry and breaking the jug.

My other thought was I could pour a solvent in the jug to dissolve the cork and simply pour it out. Seeing as I want to be able to drink from the jug afterward I'm wondering if this is a good idea.

I google searched every combination of cork, solvent, melt, dissolve, anything realing to the subject at hand. No help there so I ask you my fellow Glock Talkers if you have any ideas, tips, or tricks. Thank you in advance.

Oh yeah the whole drinking from a jug thing is a running joke we have with my Dad. He teases my brother about the amount of whiskey he consumes (no more than two drinks a day) and told him he might as well get a jug, So like any good brother I went out and got him a jug. Now all we need is the stupid cork to get out of there fill it with whiskey and wait for my Father to visit. ;N

2. Soldat

Soldat Big Dwarf Rodeo

Here's what the jug looks like. It's a little over 7in tall.

[​IMG]

3. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

I think breaking up the cork is the best idea. Just be patient and feel your way around.

Get a really long flat head screw driver from Home Depot, or something, and gently press on the cork until you've poked through it. Be careful not to press through to hard and impact on the bottom.

There are other ways to get corks out of wine bottles but this is tough since you can't see what you're doing.

-Stooxie

4. Soldat

Soldat Big Dwarf Rodeo

I ended up breaking it up. Thanks Stooxie.

I bent a wire coathanger into a little hook. Filled the bottle with water so the cork floated to the top by the neck. got the hangar under it and tried to pull it through with the hook. The hook ended up breaking the cork in half and then into small enough chunks to fall out. So problem solved.

I still wonder if there are any chemicals out there that can dissolve a cork.

5. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

The cork is an organic material and there are lots of organic solvents out there, although it doesn't quite mean they will dissolve a cork.

The real problem you would face is that organic solvents are among the nastiest chemicals you can run into:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/orgsolpg.html

-Stooxie

6. Soldat

Soldat Big Dwarf Rodeo

Intresting link. I would have to agree that's some scary stuff. Thanks for the info.

7. noway

noway

suggestion: To prevent this from happening again, buy the quick and easy re-corks that have a lip on top or tapper corks. You can go to a beer shop and find them. Ås soon as I open a bottle of beer or wine, I get the re-cork and seal the bottle off.

Nothing worst than having a cork pushed into a vintage wine
    :(

8. Soldat

Soldat Big Dwarf Rodeo

I used the cork off a bottle of Bullet bourbon. It has a nice top that should prevent it from getting pushed all the way in, that and the cork looks pretty solid.

When searching google for an answer I ran across several tips about how to deal with a cork in a good bottle of wine. One suggested getting a decanter and strain the wine as you pour it in to remove the cork particles. I agree with you, the easiest fix is to keep it from happening.