Cor Bon has chapped my butt.....

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ABNAK, Mar 4, 2010.

1. ABNAK

ABNAK

Gonna upset some of you fanboys (Gold Dot that is) but I don't care.

Ordered 2 boxes of 165gr JHP from Sportsman's Guide. New production Cor Bon. Got them today and opened the box only to be severely pissed at what I saw. They were GOLD DOTS!!! I hate Gold Dots and think they are worthless for expansion. Right up there with Hornady; might as well be FMJ.

Now, Cor Bon has long been known for the gaping Sierra JHP's used in most of their line, the 165gr .40 loads included. That is what I thought I was getting, as there is no mention of the use of Gold Dots.

My first reaction was throw it in the garbage I was so bent, but it was like ~$60 with shipping for these 2 worthless boxes. Thought about it and decided to call Cor Bon. Talked to a nice guy in Tech. Asked when/why they switched to Gold Dots and that I would have never ordered them if I had known that was what was used. He agreed 100% about the GD being inferior for expansion and the hallmark of the company had always been the Sierras. He said that they went with GD's because Sierra couldn't meet the current demand! Not that it would be a permanent change, just for now. I was like WTF? He was actually pretty cool and gave me his name and told me to call back in about 2 months (early May) and if at that time they had switched back to Sierras he would swap out my ammo one for one. I wrote his info down and paper-clipped it to my calendar in my bedroon for May. At least a fair offer seeing as how I bought it from Sportsman's Guide. I will take him up on his offer. Now I have 2 worthless-to-me, high-priced boxes of ammo I have to sit on for 2 months.

Sounds like Cor Bon is going the way of Double Tap and Buffalo Bore in switching bullet types back and forth unadvertised. WTF is up with these companies?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. G21FAN

G21FAN Useless loser Millennium Member

I agree wth you on the Gold-Dots and Hornady's lack of decent expansion. May as well use FMJ, be cheaper.

3. ABNAK

ABNAK

For 40 rounds I'd bet about $35-$40 cheaper!

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I hate, HATE, Corbon ammo. What someone in their Technical support says about GD's being "inferior" means little to me... and frankly the fact they are willing to charge a premium for what they admit is "inferior" makes me like Corbon even less.

That said, this is why I don't buy ammo online.

IGF

5. dreis454

dreis454

IMO Gold Dots will only make Cor-Bon BETTER!

6. fredj338

fredj338

Really. I've never been a Corbon fan. The SIerra JHP almost always fragment. A fragmenting round is not quite qht I want for a GP SD round. Not to mention the ridiculous prices Corbon charges & then the on again, off again QC. I don;t foam at the mouth for bonded bullets , like the GD, but any decent JHP will work for me IMO.

7. dreis454

dreis454

I'm no Corbon fan either......but IMO the Gold Dots will make the a better round.
    I run Speer 230gr GDs in my .45s

8. MURRAY

MURRAY Millennium Member

I dont hate corbon but I will take the GD any day I drink the kool aid for sure

9. ABNAK

ABNAK

Couldn't find any locally or I would have looked at the rounds.

Nonetheless, when a company has used a certain bullet for years you kind of ***-u-me that is what you will get.

10. ABNAK

ABNAK

A bullet that fragments under gel testing will at least expand properly under dire circumstances. Can't say that about Gold Dots. They are not the leading expanders by a long shot.

11. ABNAK

ABNAK

If you're a penetration junkie (I happen to be an expansion junkie) then GD'S will serve you well. So will Hornady XTP's.

12. dreis454

dreis454

yup...
    I always believed that expansion means nothing if the bullet cant get deep enough..........

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

They aren't designed to petal out like an HST, or Ranger, etc. They do expand a bit less(but they are reliable expanders), and they are excellent penetrators.. I'll take it every day.

14. Messer

Messer

15. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

I see where you are coming from with a company changing its line.

You will probably be pissed with this, but, it's their company, they can change it whenever they want. Now, if you bought this ammunition and it was advertised with the Sierra JHPs and got GDHP, I would be pissed.

With all of that being said, I would encourage you to shoot them. I bought 6 boxes of the Cor-Bon about a month ago. Didn't even check them out at the store. I've always known them to have Sierras in them. Man, I opened the boxes at the range and...GDHP. Well, I just spent 38 dollars a box so I should probably do what I came here to do.

I will say this, the new loading they are selling...Even more accurate than the Sierras. A hell of a lot more accurate! Not too mention, every single one of them functioned as designed without any failures. I was thoroughly impressed with them when I started doing failure drills. On doubles and triples, they are more accurate the my usual carry load, Winchester Ranger T-Series 230 Gr. I will be buying more of these for out in the woods carry.

I know you're pissed, but you should at least try a box. Plus, at +P velocity, that Gold Dot is going to open up nicely.

Just my opinions.

16. ABNAK

ABNAK

Years ago I used to test many different loads, barrel lengths, etc. all under the same regimen. Not as accurate a predictor as gelatin but it was the consistency of testing I was trying to achieve. All rounds fired through 4 layers of a bath towel into my swimming pool. Gold Dots in any caliber (some worse than others and velocity dependent) always expanded to a smaller diameter than the other loads tested in the same caliber.

I think a lot of guys on here---even the GD fans in this thread---have admitted there are better expanders. They like the penetration; to each his own. I prefer expansion.

And yes, for the horrific price Cor Bon charges I am really disappointed in the substitution of another bullet. If I wanted Gold Dots---and I don't---I would've bought Gold Dots.

Oh, you guys are much more civil than some other boards I frequent. Kudos to you all. We can agree to disagree and not sling insults. :grouphug:

17. ABNAK

ABNAK

Gonna wait about 2 months and the guy said he'd exchange them for me---IF they're back to using Sierras.

18. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

No worries at all.

Where were you an 11C at?

19. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

If you were expecting Sierras, I can certainly understand your frustration.

I'm not a close quarter's shooting survivor, nor an expert, so I can't really chime in on what is an ineffective expander.

That being said, there are arguments for great expanders vs. great penetrators. To me, I'd want penetration in the event that I make an imperfect shot that doesn't exactly hit C.O.M. My thinking is that the extra penetration might make it further and do more damage even if I initially make a non-vital hit.

My personal view is that any quality ammo and any quality JHP is going to be lethal. When you know for a fact that your shots are going to hit C.O.M. or C.N.S. each and every time, then we can argue all day long about a few inches of penetration vs. 1/4" of expansion. But in a self-defense shooting, I can only hope that my shots will hit there intended target. Too many variables that have nothing to do with ammo.

20. N/Apower

N/Apower

A massive compilation of OIS's and an analysis of them disagrees with this, but this is the burger-king age. Have it your way.

The GDHP does not expand as aggressively as some, like the HST, because it was designed to do things the HST wasn't, and vice versa. Being upset because the Gold Dot doesn't expand to as large a diameter as the HST is like me being mad that my WS6 won't tow as much as an F150 even though it has 150% the horsepower and a good bit more torque. To say the WS6 is crap is false, it was just designed to do 0-60 in 5 seconds instead of lug a boat around.

The Gold Dot is much the same, it was meant to punch windshields and whatnot, which the HST isn't quite as good at. I never understood bashing something because it doesn't meet YOUR criteria. As long as it performs as advertised, it's 100% in my book, and GDHP's do.

I agree with the OP though, about his sentiments regarding changing critical product specifications without notification or indication of such. Very poor idea.