Cor Bon .40 S&W 165gr JHP

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ABNAK, Feb 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ABNAK

ABNAK

Ordered some today from Sportsman's Guide. I've always liked the 165gr bullet weight in .40 and Cor Bon's use of the gaping Sierra JHP is another plus. Granted, it isn't the newest fangled bullet technology but those Sierra's open up pretty good and it's a stout load from Cor Bon. I have a Kahr CW40 so I don't think the 3.6" barrel length will lend itself to overexpansion to the point of fragmenting. Oughta be just about right.

I saw where there was HST available in 165gr but opted for the old reliable Cor Bon with the Sierra.

Thoughts without lambasting?

2. ABNAK

ABNAK

GT members have no opinion? I find that hard to believe! :freak:

3. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

CB makes good ammo but its too pricey for me. id opt for a lighter load to get higher velocities from that abreviated platform.

4. ABNAK

ABNAK

Fair enough. I look at the 165gr in .40 like a 200gr in .45; not the heaviest, not the lightest. With the 1150fps advertised velocity (assuming a 4" barrel) I'd guess I might make 1100fps or just under with a 3.6" barrel. The Sierra JHP will lend itself to good expansion so I'd think maybe the best of both worlds: *decent* expansion with *decent* penetration.

5. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

It is a very good load. It is loaded pretty hot. Seems to have more power than most other 165 grain loads I have tried. They load the same bullet in the 10mm so it should hold up just fine out of the 40. I was out on my snowshoes a few years ago and got charged by a moose. One shot right in front of the moose with the CorBon 165 grain 10mm load and the moose turned and ran off. What was interesting was in the early summer I found the bullet in the trail and it was fully expanded and had 100 % weight retention. Not a bad bullet. I have always liked Sierra bullets.

6. ABNAK

ABNAK

Some will say that there are newer, better bullet designs out there, likely in the weight retention category and not so much the expansion ability (Sierras have that covered pretty well). Nonetheless, Cor Bon is still using them for a reason.

And yes, it's a "spunky" load. Lets you know it's there!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010