close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cops who enjoy their smokes/dip?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by KiloBravo, Mar 24, 2010.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

Okay...Seeing something on my way home today made me want to ask this question.

I was driving along, and I saw an officer conducting a stop smoking a cig while speaking to the person he had obviously just pulled over. I know that it might have been one that the driver had, but I clearly saw him take a drag while speaking to her. :dunno:

I understand that LE is a very stressful job, and there are plenty who smoke and/or chew. I am working at getting into the field myself right now, so I completely understand.

However, wasn't what this guy was doing considered a little un-professional? I mean, why not just wait until the person pulls away to light up?

Would any of you guys here do something like that? Or do you try and not do it around the folks you are speaking to while in Uniform?

FYI: I used to smoke and still do chew cope' on occasion, so I have nothing against anybody who does. I was just curious.

2. blueiron

blueiron

It was against policy at my department and the last person I found spitting up in my unit got paper hung on him at my insistence.

3. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

Around here that would be days off at minimum, good chance of termination.

Our policy forbids any tobacco use (on duty or off). Those smokers that are grandfathered in are forbidden from smoking in public or in any department vehicle's or buildings.

4. KiloBravo

Really? Nothing on duty or off huh? Wow. I never would have thought they could instate something like that. That makes me VERY happy I am not hooked on anything like that! :supergrin: When I make it to the academy, I won't have to try hard to quit. LOL

5. ugly8604

ugly8604

Per policy we cannot smoke cigarettes or chew tobacco on or off duty. We are however allowed to smoke cigars off and ON duty during our breaks. Everybody chews anyways though. A sgt with something to prove tried to write one of our guys up for it and it went no where.

6. rookie1

rookie1

WOW, I like my hands free during a traffic stop.

7. KiloBravo

That is the first thing that came to my mind too. I know I would only want to be focused on the occupant(s) of the vehicle I had stopped.

8. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

On duty in designated areas only. Not while dealing with inmates or the public.

9. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

My chief dips. Copenhagen at that. He swallows his spit and has for years. Our policy is that we have to spit in a closeable container. I don't dip so it has never affected me. Other than when I have pulled out a spit cup and got the **** on my hand.

10. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

I know of ONE agency in my state that prohibits all tobacco use on and off duty. Had two of their guys in my academy class. They said that the department claimed it was for health insurance reasons.

We have what is technically a "no tobacco use in view of the public" policy and I would LOVE to see a plain and simple "no tobacco while on duty or otherwise representing the department" (e.g. in uniform) policy, but it will never happen.

11. Cav

Cav

Maybe he knew the person? How do you know she was "obviously just pulled over"?

My work say's we must ask to use tobacco infront of "customers", and cant use tobacco in our vehicles or inside. But those of us that dip/chew, do it where ever we want, as many in charge dip themself... dipping is not an issue as its well taken care of. Smokers...they tend to leave a mess, and take up too much time on breaks.

If you were to smoke indoors, or smoke in a squad car, you would be fired, but dipping...thats expected. :dunno:

12. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

No smoking in vehicles, no smoking except in designated areas, no smoking within 20 feet of an operable door or window (State law).

Smoking on or off-duty is allowed, but definitely not while conducting police business such as a t-stop. We can smoke on duty if we are in public but we try not to do it in view of anyone because it does look sloppy.

I try to find an abandoned parking lot or around the back of a business or alley. The station parking lot is also good to go for the most part.

There are a few agencies that ban all tobacco use on or off duty and make employees sign for it and it's been upheld by the courts due to the employer claiming health insurance prerogatives. The costs of the group rate goes up if there are smokers in the group and since the employer provides it, they get to pick who is an employee.

Wonder if that will hold up if someone rejects the company policy or buys his own insurance instead. How does that take the health insurance argument out of it?

13. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Denver PD has a patrol sergeant that smokes cigars 24/7.

He assisted us on a felony stop outside a strip club with it hanging out of his mouth. :supergrin:

14. Pepper45

Pepper45

Ours is not within view of the public, pretty much mirroring lawman's policy. Though our policy does not prohibit smoking/dipping in the cars, and I wish it did. Cars start smelling like an ashtray, and dip cups get spilled, makes a mess out of the cars. I smoke, but won't smoke in the car. When I dipped, I wouldn't dip in the car, or in view of the public. Looks bad.

I have been known on occasion, to step off to the side of the road while waiting for a tow, and have a smoke, but that's only when I've been running from call to call, and can't make it back to the office or behind a closed business to light up. Even then, I try to keep it out of the public's view.

15. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

Maybe it was not what it appears?

16. VHT

VHT

When I applied to a neighboring city (Lakewood Ohio), I had to sign a papers stating that I do not smoke and that I wouldn't smoke on or off duty... Grounds for termination.

17. KiloBravo

That is actually something I thought about after I posted. Meaning, he might have known the person. That very well could have been the case I suppose. I just never saw an officer in uniform smoking along side the road like that before. I know you guys are just human, but it seems like an odd thing to do when speaking to somebody.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  18. KiloBravo

That is flipping awesome! That would have looked like something straight out of a movie! :rofl: :supergrin:

19. KiloBravo

Right on...I actually also just responded to a previous post about the same thing. Before I posted, I did not think about the fact that it might have been the officer's wife or something like that.

Again, I was not trying to be negative, or make a big deal out of any of it. He was a grown man and has a stressful job. He can do whatever he wants.

It just made me a little curious as to the rules and regs. of guys who work on here and their depts.

20. KiloBravo

On another note, it would totally tick me off if somebody's spitter got kicked over and I wore any of it. I would def. not be a happy camper.