Cops suing cops in Arizona

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by blueiron, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

They should have known better than to try and arrest important people!!! :rofl:

2. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Yeah, looks bad on all accounts. Two injured, improper investigating; both sides of this inident have already lost.

3. Vigilant

Vigilant

Maybe they stumbled on Sheriff Paul's love nest by mistake and arrested his boyfriend.... :upeyes:

4. blueiron

blueiron

Mammaries wouldn't be involved there. Paul prefers easily controlled dark, swarthy cowboy types.

5. Pepper45

Pepper45

WTF? Really? That kind of thing still goes on? If their allegations are true, I hope they collect every penny, and some certifications get yanked over it.

6. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Wow, I'll bet the injured deputy finds himself unemployed shortly.

7. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

I arrested the grandson of an elected political hero for aggravated assault a few years back. Shockingly, the case disappeared. I'm in the same county, btw.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  8. merlynusn

merlynusn

Unfortunately, suing seems to be the only way to get things done at times. I'm sure this was the last option of the two deputies.

9. RVER

RVER

Venturing into a drunken crowd to make a flashing "breasts" arrest isn't something that I would personally do, especially in plain clothes - that's what uniformed officers are for, HOWEVER, this case reaks regarding the post arrest details. I would sue the **** out of these good old boys too.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  10. Pepper45

Pepper45

I used to hear stories about how strict AZ was on their certifications, and how quickly or easily someone could get their certs yanked. Is this accurate these days? Will (if true) this story be enough to wind up with folks being unemployed?

11. blueiron

blueiron

AZPOST is strict, but they do not investigate anything. The agency has to investigate and if it isn't done objectively, then no action is ever undertaken.

An extreme example is Colorado City PD on the Arizona/Utah stateline. The town is/was run by Warren Jeffs and the FLDS church [the infamous polygamists] and just about every member of the PD was a member of that 'church'. It was that way for decades and only recently has AZPOST been revoking certifications based on the recommendations of the Arizona AG.

Since we have elected Sheriffs :upeyes:, we have a lot of the good ol' boy syndrome in the hierarchy of management and executive levels of Sheriff's Offices here. Rarely is the Sheriff willing to notify AZPOST of a corrupt sycophant.

Local police departments aren't much better either. Plenty of fast trackers at Phoenix PD have gotten a pass on things that would have gotten the average employee fired. The former mayor's son was having sex on duty and has a history of sexual offenses as a police officer, yet no one at Phoenix PD will submit his file to Arizona POST for action.

12. jpa

jpa CLM

Yeah, reading the AZPOST "Integrity Bulletin" leads me to believe that it's very easy to lose your certification in AZ. Reading blueiron's post however, shows a huge flaw in a political system. I'm surprised some of those who have been terminated and decertified by an employer haven't been successful in suing their employer and winning because they don't treat similarly situated employees in the same manner.

I also think that decertifying a cop because he went home for a nooner on his lunch break is ridiculous.

13. janice6

janice6

Technicalities aside, Sounds like they got screwed.

14. blueiron

blueiron

Here is the obvious hypocrisy -

www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/investigative/mayors-son-busted-for-on-duty-sex-8-26-2011

Any other non-connected cop would have been fired on the first offense, according to AZPOST rules and regulations.

A former co-worker of mine decided to apply at a neighboring agency. During his polygraph, he admitted to engaging in an instance of sexual contact with his long time wife, at their home, during his lunch time. The potential agency notified his employing agency and they immediately suspended him and then terminated him within the month.

In a just world, officers and deputies wrongfully terminated would sue both their former employers and AZPOST for their hypocritical stances on employee discipline and retention, but that costs money and lots of it. Most cops can't afford a decent attorney.

I have repeatedly written to the Governor and legislators pointing out these inequities, with an eye to reforming AZPOST into an independent regulatory agency with investigatory powers, but it would require chiefs of police and sheriffs to surrender their political power and submit to AZPOST, just like their employees have to. The chiefs/sheriffs have their own lobbyist organization to prevent that from ever happening.