Cops in parkland under criminal investigation?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Gun Shark, Sep 22, 2018.

1. fastbolt

fastbolt

You might find this earlier PoliceOne article interesting. It presents some of the issues on this topic from the perspective of LE (so it uses simpler language ;) ).

https://www.policeone.com/police-jo...cops-confusion-over-the-public-duty-doctrine/

Also, the Castle Rock v. Gonzales, No. 04-278 case attracted a lot of interest among LE, and the decision finally reached by the supreme court seemingly disappointed some DV organizations.
    A syllabus version: https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/04-278.ZS.html
    Public news version: https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/...ot-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

Bruce M likes this.
  2. papajohn

papajohn

Negative sir........
    “California courts have found no duty of care and have denied liability ‘for injuries caused by the failure of police personnel to respond to requests for assistance, the failure to investigate properly, or the failure to investigate at all, where the police had not induced reliance on a promise, express or implied, that they would provide protection”.

If there is no express promise made on the part of the government to supply a specific service then there is no duty to supply such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. OLY-M4gery

OLY-M4gery

Again, people not understanding what a legal "duty" entails vs what you hope the standard for conduct would be.

pgg00 and fastbolt like this.
  4. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

You don't need to. Your post is "grandiose" all on its own. Here, lets review it.
    Sounds pretty grandiose to me. All thats missing is ducking into a phone booth for a costume change.

What they call "active shooter" today we used to call, "Oh another guy shooting we have to go in and either catch or shoot". Such drama nowadays. They were fun at first, "Ok they were fun later too", but I did start asking myself "why am I risking my life for these people in the Jets"?

I'm sentimental towards children so even tho nobody is paying me I'd "probably" do something but I'd never say "you couldn't keep me out", having been "in" before. Bullets flinging past my head would probably keep me out. The thought of the Cops shooting me might keep me out. Who knows? It might be my turn for my first panic attack. Maybe even a grabber. Maybe even poo-poo in pants, who knows?

I got news for you crime fighter, you don't want to be the first one the cops see with a gun in hand at one of these things because they are going to be asking questions second most likely.

Meanwhile the real Svengali behind the puppet theater is still in office making grandiose statements about the "amazing job" he's doing. https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opi...f-israel-poster-david-whitley-0827-story.html

So they are going to run a phony investigation into the actions of the Police even tho theres no way they will ever be charged with anything. And they will try and add FL. to AR banned states along with maybe magazine restrictions. And clowns like Scottie Israel will keep running counties. And educators will keep preventing the Police from being the Police. And the hacks will keep assigning hacks to sweet spots like school officer. And old retired guys like me, whom youv never heard of, will still have problems sleeping from the times we did run in.

And thats it. The tape rewinds and plays again.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2018
  5. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

No I think I'll just put you on ignore. You really sound silly coming in a cop forum and talking that crap.

'Ol Grandad likes this.
  6. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

You wouldn’t get through the outer perimeter...

Bruce M likes this.
  7. Bruce M

Bruce M

I still wonder if the first question, which building to run into, needs to be, but was not initially, answered.

8. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

Referenced post deleted for inappropriate behavior in Cop Talk

I’m pretty sure there’s only one “triggered” person in this thread.

9. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Cop Talk is for GT's Law Enforcement members to talk shop, discuss current events involving LE, and field legitimate questions and respond to reasonable comments from NON-LE GT members.

It is not the place for snarky, insulting, rude, condescending, and trolling comments. Anyone practicing any one or a combination of those behaviors will be banned from Cop Talk.

If you feel compelled to make such comments, start your own thread in The Furball Forum. Just remember that while the Rules of Conduct are a bit more relaxed there, they are still enforced.

If anyone has a question related to this message, start a Conversation with me. Do NOT post it in this thread.

10. papajohn

papajohn

[​IMG]

BOOM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk