close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cops arrest 176 at cockfighting raid

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Jan 4, 2010.

1. ronduke

ronduke

(This is a rural area. Trying to transport, bookin and house 176 prisoners would be a huge strain on everybody.)

Charges from Parker County cockfighting raid could include gambling, animal cruelty

By DOMINGO RAMIREZ JR.

ramirez@star-telegram.com

Some of the 176 people arrested at a cockfight Saturday in north Parker County will likely face charges that range from gambling to animal cruelty, authorities said Sunday.

Others have been released after paying a $300 fine, authorities said.

The fate of the 114 roosters seized Saturday afternoon could be decided during a hearing scheduled for today in a Weatherford court, authorities said.

The roosters "could end up abandoned, a few might be placed at some type of sanctuary, or their owners may want them back," said John Goodwin of the Humane Society of the United States in Washington, D.C. "But many of them will be euthanized because they’re bred to fight."

The roosters were being kept in Weatherford, Goodwin said.

Acting on a tip, Parker County authorities began surveillance two weeks ago of a barn near Poolville where they believed cockfights were being held.

Poolville is about 52 miles northwest of Fort Worth.

Armed with search warrants, authorities raided the barn Saturday afternoon.

Drugs and cash were confiscated, and several dead and injured rooster were found.

Fight organizers had charged $20 for admission, authorities said.

The scene "was horrific," said Goodwin, who was at the raid. "The roosters had 1-inch knives on their heels. Several birds were cut badly."

Officials with Child Protective Services were called to help authorities with 10 to 15 children who were at the cockfight.

The children were released to relatives, a CPS official said Sunday.

Initially, authorities said 169 people were arrested, but that number increased to 176 by the time authorities finished processing them Sunday morning.

Charges could include gambling, animal cruelty or engaging in organized criminal activity, Parker County Sheriff Larry Fowler said Sunday. Prosecutors will determine the charges.

Authorities used two buses and at least four vans to transport the people to jail, Fowler said.

Along with sheriff’s deputies, raid participants were Weatherford police, Texas Department of Public Safety troopers, a six-member team from the Humane Society, Parker County emergency management officials and immigration officials.

More than 100 of the people arrested are illegal immigrants, Fowler said Sunday.

Goodwin said that cockfights are mostly held in rural locations. He noted that Humane Society officials see the greatest number of cockfights in Alabama and Kentucky because of what he called lax laws.

"But we’ve been to locations within city limits," Goodwin said.

Fowler said the cockfight raid was the first he had been involved with in the five years that he has been sheriff.

"It’s a bad deal," he said. "It’s ugly and nasty."
    http://www.star-telegram.com/local/story/1865822.html

2. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

More than 100 of the people arrested are illegal immigrants, Fowler said Sunday.

Hmmm...now there's a surprise!!!!:whistling:

3. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Wonder if the name of the place was the "Blue Oyster".

4. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Were the detainees served chicken for lunch?:whistling:

5. BMPregler

BMPregler

$20 on the red bird!

6. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Deport the chickens and the illegals. Unless the chickens are legals, in which case it is chicken soup stock time.

I don't agree with animal abuse. Treat them well or put them out of their misery quickly.

7. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

A COCKfight? I'd hate to see the evidence in that one!!

8. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Cockfight, Sheriff Fowler... don't egg me on.

This reminds me of the thread from last year (?) about the tractor trailer full of eggs stolen in NH or Maine, or somewhere.

9. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Been to one cock fight in my life, it was over quick for the loser and we had fresh chicken later that night for dinner, this was back in the woods of Georgia at a 1864 living history event with no spectators Just us reenactors all the roosters were later killed for dinner even the ones that survived.
    It was fun but I would never go to a modern cockfight. :cool:
    Regards
    DW

10. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Don't punish the chickens! Make the 176 criminals fight instead. Kill the loser and... heck... kill the winner too. Then deport the bodies. To the sea. To the sea. To the open arms of the seeeeeeeaaaaa... yeah! Lonely rivers flow.... ahem... where was I?