Copper fouling

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JohnTz, Feb 16, 2010.

1. JohnTz

JohnTz

Hey guys do you worry about copper buildup in your glock barrels? One of my G23s has 30K rounds through it. Only clean it using #9. Have only shot FMJ through it and clean it thouroughly after every range visit. It has NEVER jammed, FTE or FTF from round one. The trigger is sweet and all internal parts are original except the recoil spring. I love this gun. I was looking at the bore after the last cleaning and have noticed some copper. I have never used any copper solvent in any of my handguns, but this gun has the most use of all mine, so I was wondering if it needs a little copper solvent. Do you guys worry about it?

2. captcurly

captcurly

Every so often I swab the bore with copper solvent. I then use #9 and then run an oily patch through it.

3. elde

elde Lifetime Member

I clean the bore with Shooter's Choice using a bronze brush every 500 rounds. Otherwise I use Hoppe's after each range trip.

4. Harleyguy1998

Harleyguy1998

I keep a small bottle of Butch's because with the semi auto's it's easy to run it through the barrel with it removed, then spray it clean and then lube it. The copper solvents can be pretty corrosive so you have to be sure to remove it all.

5. cciman

cciman

forget it, its fine.

6. tango44

tango44

Copper solvent and bronze brush do the trick for mine!

7. mboylan

mboylan

Wouldn't worry much about copper fouling unless you're pushing a bullet above 1400-1500 fps.

8. AustinTx

AustinTx

If I can see copper, I use the old Hoppe's #9 and let it soak overnight. Sometime it may take several over-night'rs, depending on the amount of fouling. Some of the more aggressive (ammonia based) solvents may get the copper fouling out faster, but they can react with some other gun products available that can ruin a barrel. I just don't want to take the chance, when it's not necessary.

9. whitey4311

whitey4311

Go buy some Chore Boy scoring pads from the super market. Cut some strips and wrap them around your bore brush then run it back and forth in the barrel a few times. You need to get a tighter fit of your brush in the barrel to really get that stuff out. I am not a fan of the chemical cleaning since it can etch the metal and ruin barrels quickly if left on too long or not completely removed.

Be sure you get Chore Boy brand that is all copper and not copper plated steel like the cheap know off brands are. This and a bit of CLP will get your bore clean as new. I just did mine this week after about 2k rounds just to get it fresh again.

10. ctaggart

ctaggart

Butch's bore shine is a miracle cleaner/copper dissolver. And yes, make sure you remove it all from the barrel once you're done.

11. lupuss

lupuss

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  12. Bones507

Bones507

One thing, when you run patches through the barrel, use a plastic jag. You use a copper one and it will give off false readings as the copper remover will take some off the jag with it and you will think theres still copper in there. When they stop coming out blue, youre done.