close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Copper Fouling

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by lomfs24, Jan 8, 2010.

1. lomfs24

lomfs24

OK so I have a Savage .308 tactical rifle and it has been shooting like a dream or as close to a dream as can be expected for an out-of-the-box rifle. Sub MOA accuracy, reliably on steel at over 1100 yrds...etc... Well I have a fair amount of shooting done with it and I decided to give it a good cleaning. I always clean it but yesterday I decided to get some Barnes CR-10 copper fouling remover. I spent a fair amount of time getting all the copper out. Then I took it out to the range today and it shot like crap for the first four or five rounds. I understand the importance of cleaning but maybe someone could answer why I should spend all that time taking all the copper out of the barrel only to have to shoot four or five rounds to get the layer of copper back in to shoot good.

2. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

I'm no expert on this subject, but hazarding a guess, I would say that a little bit of copper probably actually helps by smoothing over any defects in the barrel steel.

3. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Exactly. Do NOT go crazy over copper fouling. I just clean all my firearms normally. I went the route of trying to get rid of all the copper fouling out of my Winchester Model 70 .30/06 on time, and wound up with the same results you did.

My rifle has always shot 1moa, and after the cleaning the groups opened up. After some build up, the rifle came back to where it was before. Now, I do not concern myself with copper fouling at all.

4. moeman

moeman

So...The lesson is leave good enough alone when the gun groups tight?

Did you use something like rem oil in the barrel after you got the copper killer out?

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

Yes, I used CR-10 and then dried it out really good. Then I used a couple patches of Hoppes powder solvent, dried it out really good then used Tetra (it think that's what it's called) gun oil that is supposed to fill in any micro pits in the barrel. Anyway, it's got a thin layer of copper back in it and it is shooting great again.

6. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

In a word, yes.

7. oldtimer48

oldtimer48

i also own a savage 308 10fp same thing as yours i had my gun smith look at it he said the internal riflleing inside the barrel the last 5 inches toward the muzzel was the worst he had seen. he told me shoot it clean it after each shot to break it in, and i did now after 150 rounds down the tube i'm shooting 10-15 shots before cleaning, 3/8" -1/2" at 100 yards factory 24" barrel out of a lead sled it is good enough for me now. yes it still copper fouls not as bad as when i first got it. i could put a after market barrel on it 28" -30" shilen, mcgowen, from northland shooter supply. but right now money is a little tight so i going to leave well enough alone. to answer your question i believe savages rifleing is a little rougher than some companys but they make up for it with a floated barrel, acu trigger, dual pillar bedding.

8. Sgt_Gold

Sgt_Gold

Fouling will eventually reach a level where accuracy suffers, so I shoot a gun until I start to notice the group opening up, then I hit it with the copper remover. As you noticed, it takes a few shots to season the barrel after a thorough cleaning.