close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

copper fouling, any big problem?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Just_plinking, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

I got my first pistol, a gen 4 g19. I never wanted one until I handled every other gun then picked it up. I was sold. I've only put one magazine through it, and have cleaned it with hoppe's no. 9. There are still lines of copper on the rifling in the barrel. Is it wrong to just leave it. I don't want to scrub it or anything if i don't have to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Thanks.

2. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

3. Prryan45

Prryan45

Yep,just shoot the mess out of it like there's a thousand insane boogers running towards you.

4. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Sweet, planning on doing that some more tomorrow. Thanks!

5. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

My suggestion, cleaning-wise, would be to start cleaning the barrel FIRST when cleaning your gun. Run a few wet patches of cleaner through the barrel to remove surface fouling. Then, saturate the bore so the solvent will be able to soak-in. Clean the slide, frame, and magazines while you wait. Now that the solvent has had time to do it's job inside the barrel, take a saturated bore brush (over a garbage can - not the parts you just cleaned) and scrub once FOR EACH SHOT you fired since your last cleaning. If it's 200,then 200 passes with the brush. Dip the brush in solvent every 50 passes (but don't contaminate your "main" bottle of solvent; use a smaller empty bottle or jar only filled to the height of the brush, or a small chemical dropper bulb). Run some additional wet patches through to remove any remaining fouling scrubbed loose. Run a few dry patches through. Done.

I use Break-Free CLP for all of my Glock cleaning chores. This technique leaves the bore spotless. I just spray the brush every 50 rounds to clean it off and replenish the solvent, and occasionlly spray some down the bore during the process. This works with Eezox, too, which I use on two of my other guns.

6. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Thanks a lot. I'll keep that in mind when I clean it later.

7. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

3 minutes and some boretech. Gone.

8. Jim S.

Jim S.

There is a really good penetrating oil called Aero-Kroil.
    I have found that soaking the inside of the barrel with this stuff and then cleaning the rest of the gun and returning to the barrel with a brass brush cleans it like brand new.
    You can find Aero-Kroil at most auto parts stores.
    By the way, do not worry about scrubbing your barrel with a brass (bronze) brush.
    It doesn't hurt it at all and surely the bullets going down the barrel are much harder on the barrel than a brush.

9. elde

elde Lifetime Member

You and I may be the only folks left that actually do it this way! It's the way I learned from my Dad and 50 years later the guns I inherited from him still have perfect bores.

10. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

This is true, but no need for a bronze brush. Nylon will work fine. Using more modern Solvents will allow success in a 10th of the time, but tried and true works.