Cop who killed grandmother in 100 mph crash gets case dismissed

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by RussP, Feb 21, 2013.

1. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Cop who killed grandmother in 100 mph crash gets case dismissed after fellow officer misses trial

This is not going to end well for someone, perhaps many someones...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. rockapede

rockapede

3. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

I just have to believe there is more to it than this.

:dunno:

4. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Triple digits with no lights? Yikes.

I agree that if everything in the article is 100% accurate (a stretch when ANY media is involved), that is some absolute crap. I guess we'll see.

5. skew12

skew12

Seems to be some pretty pathetic **** right there.

6. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Here's a better story from local media. Please do us all a favor and refrain from linking The Blaze. It has about as much credibility as Prison Planet, IMO, when it comes to law and order issues. There's video at the local link.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/fl-trooper-crash-citations-dismissed-20130216,0,5990362.story

Anyway, it appears that the Trooper who issued the citations had a legitimate reason for missing court and followed policy to notify his superiors. His supervisors dropped the ball and didn't have someone there ready to testify in his stead.

It seems to me that in this situation, ultimate fault would lie with the prosecutors office. From the video, however, it doesn't appear that state is represented in traffic court, which is weird to me. In KY there's a County Attorney who makes the motions to dismiss for the state. It's not up to the defense attorney and the officer to be the only ones deciding whether or not to proceed. maybe somebody from Florida can chime in on how traffic court works down there. In my jurisdiction it's a lot more formal. If a similar situation occured where an officer had to miss court, the county attorney covering the docket would move to have the matter continued, particularly in a serious case such as this.

Long story short, the post commader of the trooper who missed court has already been fired over it and his sergeant is being demoted. This all went down in November of last year, which goes back to The Blaze's credibility in reporting it now. It's media trolling, for lack of a better term.

ETA: I went back and looked at the dateline on the Sun Sentinal article and it's from February 15. So it looks like they're media trolling as well.

7. rockapede

rockapede

Good to hear. I can't stand the blaze; it's one of the reasons nobody will ever convince me Glenn Beck isn't quietly anti-cop, regardless of a certain support video that's been posted here. Actions, meaning how he manages his company/editors, speak louder than words.

8. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

The grandmother was ejected through the windshield. Not likely if she were wearing seat and shoulder belts. IF that's the case, she decided to take a well documented and illegal risk.

9. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

The Blaze is crap and Glenn Beck is a closet cophater. This article is a perfect example of their bias. Go to the link to The Blaze that RussP posted and they excerpt four out of the first seven paragraphs in the Sun Sentinel story I posted. However, the very next paragraph, that The Blaze conveniently doesn't excerpt, reports that the post commander has been fired over it and the immediate supervisor demoted. You can't tell me that's not intentional.

If The Blaze includes that paragraph it undermines their whole agenda: that cops, specifically the FHP, are completely out of control and think that they are above the law. In truth, FHP has responded to the problem and has held and is holding the supervisors who failed accountable. The editors of The Blaze select the parts of the Sun Sentinel story that fit their agenda, knowing full well that 90% of the civil libertardians who hit their website every day won't click- through to the full article and will spend the day incensed that cops are not being held accountable, when in fact, they are.

It's shenanigans.

10. RussP

Hey, you're a cop. Your job is to clean up the mess. Thanks for doing your job here...

:rofl: Sorry, man, you opened the freaking door. What was I suppose to do? :animlol:

I was too lazy at that moment to check the back story like I usually do. Thanks for the link...

11. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

[​IMG]

12. skorper

skorper harborrat

We had an incident locally where a truck driver was killed by kids throwing rocks from an overpass over a state route about two years ago. I remember specifically two County Sheriff deputies speaking about the incident and they mentioned that they have received calls about kids doing this before but they could never catch them. The one deputy said that the only way they are ever going to catch these kids is if they run without lights and siren so as to not forwarn them of their approach. I mentioned that this was a bad idea and against their department policy and it would not end well for them if it resulted in an accident. They of course knew this and answered with the standard disclaimer that they would never do such a thing.

In this case however, you see the worst possible result of such actions.

As a side note, the kids were eventually identified and charged after some of their friends talked.

13. merlynusn

merlynusn

Something seems off. If he was found at fault by going 100mph causing a wreck, why wasn't he charged with involuntary manslaughter? That would be a felony and no citations would have been issued. Why in the world would the DAs Office not have anyone there on something like this. Extremely high profile.

Again, this doesn't make any sense. And if that's accurate, then the ball was dropped back when the initial charging was done.

14. skorper

skorper harborrat

I can cite fatal traffic crashes all day long in which the party shown to be at fault was not criminally charged, only charged with traffic offenses.

In this particular case the prosecutor did as he normally would, by summoning the witness (charging officer) to appear. The officer failed to show, and it appears that someone was fired as a result.

The cops in the courtroom were obviously showing support for their fellow officer, but their behavior after the case was dismissed is highly inappropriate given that someone is dead as a result of his actions.

15. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

What he did is not a Felony in FLA and in GA..
    So while it may be accurate in your state it is not universal in the Southeast.

16. Cav

Cav

Seems to me that the 3 tickets would be fine only tickets. No jail time unless you get found guilty and dont pay. People beat tickets every day.

If you issue a ticket for speeding and arrest for DWI, a person can beat the speeding ticket at Muni court, then show the County/District court that there was no speeding conviction and the DWI gets tossed. Arrest for the DWI, dont wast time with tickets, or issue tickets and let the court work out a deal for money...

17. vanilla_gorilla

vanilla_gorilla

I did not realize the court video had been released. Trooper King, (the voice in the background about the middle of the video) told me that he got caught on tape saying what he said, but I didn't realize it would be that obvious.

Trust me, it's a goat-roping all around. I'm not comfortable commenting any further just yet, though.

<------------not a trooper, but I do know all of those in that courtroom, and am friends with most of them.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  18. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Russ, did you find the article where the trucker that ran over the cop (killing him) in NY or NJ got a 500 fine and a suspended license?

19. RussP

No. Do you have the link?