close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cop shoots/kills man in wheelchair

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MaxxAction, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

Ummm...

Sorry, was the no pepper spray or a taser handy?

HOUSTON – *A Houston police officer shot and killed a one-armed, one-legged man in a wheelchair Saturday inside a group home after police say the double amputee threatened the officer and aggressively waved a metal object that turned out to be a pen.
    Police spokeswoman Jodi Silva said the man cornered the officer in his wheelchair and was making threats while trying to stab the officer with the pen. At the time, the officer did not know what the metal object was that the man was waving, Silva said.
    She said the man came "within inches to a foot" of the officer and did not follow instructions to calm down and remain still.
    "Fearing for his partner's safety and his own safety, he discharged his weapon," Silva told The Associated Press.
    Police did not immediately release the name of the man who was killed. They had been called to the home after a caretaker there called and reported that the man in wheelchair was causing a disturbance.
    The owner of the group home, John Garcia, told the Houston Chronicle that the man had a history of mental illness and had been living at the house about 18 months. Garcia said the man had told him that he lost a leg above the knee and all of one arm when he was hit by a train.
    "He sometimes would go off a bit, but you just ignore it," Garcia told the newspaper.
    Silva identified the officer as Matthew Jacob Marin, a five-year veteran of the department. He was immediately placed on three-day administrative leave, which is standard in all shootings involving officers.
    Houston police records indicate that Marin also fatally shot a suspect in 2009. Investigators at the time said Marin came upon a man stabbing his neighbor to death at an apartment complex and opened fired when the suspect refused to drop the knife.
    On Saturday, Marin and his partner arrived at the group home around 2:30 a.m. Silva said there were several people at the house at the time. The caretaker who called police waited on the porch while the officers went inside, she said.
    "It was close quarters in the area of the house," Silva said. "The officer was forced into an area where he had no way to get out."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/2...air-in-houston/?test=latestnews#ixzz27KFc6Ln0

I know, I know, obey the officer, but still. You felt your life was In jeopardy from a one legged, one armed man in a wheelchair?

2. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

A gun being held by a disabled person is somehow not as lethal?

Isnt that one of the general points of a firearm? The whole "G-d created man but Sam Colt made them equal...."

3. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

The guy had a pen.

4. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

If the cop had been a civilian visiting somebody, and then killed a crazy guy waving a pen at him, he'd be thrown in prison.

5. PAGunner

PAGunner

There is always more to the story, I'd bet good money the cop felt legitimately threatened by this moron.

6. Lampshade

Lampshade

So if somebody, wheelchair or not, is within arm's reach of you and is trying to stab you... you think pepper spray is a wise choice in that situation?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  7. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Do you really think the Officer shot him knowing it was a pen?

Why are people so quick to believe the hype they want to believe but cry against he hype they dont like.

Here is a hint, that is a set up for failure and mediocrity in life. In general, the people who succeed the most in life are those who can see a situation for what it is...and know where to find the information to better make those choices.

8. Phaze5ive

Phaze5ive

You can't realistically expect all cops to be able to outmaneuver a guy in a wheelchair; some of them are really, really fat.

Come on, the guy had one arm. It's not like he can advance AND threaten someone at the same time. He can only do one or the other.

9. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

Maybe not...

But there had to be something better than shooting the guy. Flip his chair? Break his arm? It just seems a little extreme that's all.

10. Lampshade

Lampshade

If he's facing you, trying to stab you, how exactly are you going to flip his chair without giving him the opportunity to stab or slash you?

Baton might be a feasible option if you have the time and room to deploy it, but we don't know if that was the case.

11. fireguy129

fireguy129 NRA Member 2008

2 steps back and assess the situation? Within arms reach and you don't see a pen?

12. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

Sorry rabbi...

Gotta disagree. How does one, especially a self defense trained LEO get cornered by someone in a wheelchair? And if he had a gun, I assume he wouldn't have been trying to stab the cop with it, so it would've been a pretty safe assumption that he didn't have a gun. Especially when you consider they were in a group home, which is basically a nursing home for young people. Just seems way over the top.

I know being a cop isn't easy, but where is the sound judgement? If a 6 yr old comes at him brandishing a pen, is he gonna get cut down too?

13. Lampshade

Lampshade

Could happen easily depending on a home's layout.

You might enter the front door and immediately find yourself in a long, narrow hallway which gives way to the rest of the house at its other end.

Somebody comes rolling down from inside the house, and you've got the door to your back, walls to 3 sides, and hot wheels right in front of you.

14. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I don't know, but I think if the cops story is that he was in fear of his life from a one armed one legged man who was trying to stab him with a pen, he is probably in the wrong career field. :dunno:

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

15. PaulMason

PaulMason

16. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

My thoughts exactly...

17. JW1178

JW1178

The pen is mightier than the sword!

In all reality, I don't think that someone in a wheelchair should get a free pass to do what they want on a different set of rules. Yes, I've seen a drunk man in a wheelchair actually chase after someone trying to hit them. Got his butt beat and then started saying that it wasn't right that the guy defended himself. Nobody really cared.

I feel bad for someone who is disabled but we all have problems, and it doesn't give anyone the right to behave differently.

18. PaulMason

PaulMason

If we're staring a list of people that need to follow the rules regardless
    - Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) - woman wails on her significant other and when he defend himself ...

19. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

All I can say is that if a 'regular Joe' walked into court claiming that he had no choice but to shoot a one armed, one legged, pen-weilding man in a wheelchair because the guy "cornered" him, the shooter's odds of avoiding jail time would be slim to none.

20. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

When backed into a corner by someone making threatening gestures, how do you take 2 steps back and assess the situation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.