Cooper needs some prayers

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by solie, Sep 12, 2007.

1. solie

solie

This is going to be a long post.

Here is a little background on the situation.
    Cooper will be 2 a month from today. About a year Cooper learned how to destroy his crates. He went through 2 wire crates before buying one of those plastic aircraft carriers. We thought our problem was solved until Cooper tore the door completely off the crate. We tried letting him stay in the basement for awhile but he was destroying everything in the basement. Our basement is unfinished and we had a 10x10x6 outdoor chain link kennel that we had from another dog so I decided to move that into the basement. That worked for about a week until he destroyed the chain on the door. I patched the door with a piece of the wire kennel (divider part) and all was good for about a week. Next he sprung the latch on the door. I fixed the latch and all was good for about 2 weeks. Last week he decided he was going to destroy the side of the kennel and succeeded. He wasn't too destructive so we thought we would give him a second chance being free in the basement.

Well... here comes the part where prayers are needed.
    I sold a car a month ago and had put the contents of the vehicle in a box. That box stayed in my truck until this weekend when I decided to clean my truck out. I had forgotten about the contents of the box and had put the box in the basement. Well he got into that box today and found another box that was inside. Inside that box was 4 cans of Ghiradelli hot chocolate mix. Needless to say Cooper devoured 3/4 of the double chocolate can.

I called the Vet immediately and they told me to bring him in ASAP! I loaded Cooper into the truck and took him to the vet. They took him back as I waited in the waiting room for 45 minutes. Not really sure of the order they did this in but they injected him with 2cc's of Metoclopramide and 2cc's of Cimetidine, induced vomiting, filled his stomach with baking powder, hydrogen peroxide and gave him a lot of charcoal. They said that I need to make sure he isn't active this evening because he could get bloat.

Was told that it should be out of his system by tomorrow.
    I sure hope they are correct.
    Cooper needs some prayers. Hopefully he will come out of this ok. Sorry for the wall o'text.

Here is a picture of Coop.

2. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

I did some analysis searching to try to determine how much theobromine is in the double chocolate mix but came up with nothing.

It is a cocoa powder with chocolate added mix. It sounds like it could be fairly high but not lethal.

How soon did he get to the vet?
    Did he throw up much chocolate?

Real solid chocolate, especially dark chocolate is the real killer. Your vet did everything right and I am sure Coop will be ok. Especially if he threw up a good amount of the mix.

I always have to tell everybody that my sister-in-law had a toy poodle that ate Hershey Kisses every day for 17 years.

Good luck to you and Coop. How is he doing now?

edited to correct theobromide to theobromine.

3. solie

solie

My wife goes to work around 7a and I got home at 3p when I found the mess. I was at the vets by 3:20. Not really sure the time he got into it. The vet said he threw up a whole lot of chocolate.

So I'm guessing that the theobromine is the part that's lethal?

Thanks,
    Solie

4. jbotstein1

jbotstein1

About 5 years ago, my pup ate an entire bag of hersheys kisses. I came home to the open bag on the floor, but didn't take her to the vet. The only thing that happened was she pooped out foil for a couple days. I think Coop will be fine. He's a good lookin' dog. Good luck to him.

5. GotGlock1917

Good to hear that he threw up a lot. He probably got rid of most of it before it got into his system. The charcoal should have taken care of the rest.

Yes, theobromine is the toxic substance.
    Here is a little more about it: http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa090301a.htm

There is a great deal of info on the net if you want to search it out.

Any update?

6. GotGlock1917

Hershey kisses are a light milk chocolate with a low levels of theobromine. That's why my SIL's poodle ate them everyday without getting sick. They didn't know better.

A nice, rich dark chocolate bar (the way I like it :supergrin: ) could easily have killed a toy poodle. Or at least make it very sick.

7. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Does Cooper go on long walks every day ? If he doesn't get to he really needs it as all dogs do. Does he get to play in a back yard ? If not, the daily walks are absolutely critical to his physical and mental health. Even though he is two I'm sure you are well aware of how much of a puppy he still is. It sounds like he may just have too much pent up energy. I'm not sure how much room you have but another dog will do wonders for a lonely young dog. With both of you working a dog can get really lonely and frustrated inside a home by himself. A second dog might help keep him entertained.

A walk for 30 minutes each morning before work with some tennis ball retrieving is something that can make a big difference in his life. I'm sure you are excellent owners but I also know that two full time jobs keep a couple really busy and sometimes it is hard to give a puppy the time he needs to exercise daily.

When my male Lab was a puppy he was a terror. You know the metal mesh screen that goes around your air conditioning compressor ? My dog ripped it to shreds twice. He dug deep holes in the yard until I was able to correct that problem. If he got his paws on an empty Coke or beer can he would rip them to tiny pieces without ever cutting his mouth. It took two full years before he started to calm down. But eventually he became a really cool dog and was easy to keep in the house alone. When we got a little poodle for my wife it made a huge difference, quite an improvement in his behaviour. The first two years of a GSD can be tough because they have unlimited amounts of energy and they need an outlet daily.

8. denfoote

denfoote MENACE

Yeah!!
    Hows da doggie???

9. solie

solie

Sorry for the late update all. It seems that the prayers have worked. Cooper seems to be fine. Never really seemed effected by it all all except he was a little wired that evening. All seems back to normal (if you call it that :supergrin: )

I will agree that Cooper doesn't get the exercise he needs.
    It is very difficult to walk him in the mornings, but we try to walk him in the evenings and throw the ball for him until he is done. I leave for work at 430a so it's rather dangerous to walk him on the road we live on. It is a backroad with very sharp curves (blind corners) and people fly down the road. It's dangerous during the day.

10. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Well hell yeah, Saint Francis and Jesus don't mess around! :supergrin:

God bless ya both. :thumbsup:

No more poochie chocolate! :tongueout:

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

12. GotGlock1917

Neither did solie and the vet. Good job. I'm proud that you didn't have to post on GT first and ask "What should I do?"

:thumbsup: