close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cool Brew Coffee -- I'm hooked

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by certifiedfunds, May 13, 2012.

1. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I've never been one for hot coffee during the day. It just doesn't work for me. So recently I've been having a few Starbuck's iced coffees au lait a week and really got to liking them. But they're kind of high calorie and I can't always find a Starbucks depending on my location.

Then I remembered this local product:

http://www.coolbrew.com/index.html

The stuff is amazing. I mix 3 or 4 shots with 1.5 cups of hood calorie countdown milk and 4 splendas. Amazing large iced coffee -- better than starbucks -- and only 105 calories.

I used to buy it and put a shot or two in a chocolate protein shake but had gotten out of that habit.

You can also dump it into a cup of hot water and have delicious hot coffee on the spot.

I know this is a NOLA product and I can buy it in local grocery stores. You can order it online. But I was wondering is there a similar product in other parts of the country? You find it in the dairy section, kinda. Refrigerated.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  2. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

CF ... are you in training again?

3. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

I still drink whey protein, you think it'd be good mixed in with some vanilla flavored whey? By itself it's like drinking friggin concrete lol

4. certifiedfunds

I'm trying but I wouldn't call it that. We need to catch up.

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Get the BPA free Nalgene bottles and make your own. Put the coffee in the Nalgene as soon as its done roasting and drop it into the freezer. Pennies a day.

6. captainstormy

captainstormy

I too never could figure out why someome would want hot coffee when its hot outside.

I drink alot of iced coffe as well, usually I make it at home but Ill often get it black from starbucks while traveling.

I make it just like Iced tea. Brew it hot and chill in the fridge for a while then enjoy.

7. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

8. Dennis in MA

Hmmm. I could make that for less than $40. You need a container and a strainer. A large french press would do. Even a gallon jug and a gold coffee filter (both I already have) would do.

I might have to try cold-brewed coffee. Fascinating.

9. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

Correctamundo.
    Just grind, add water, leave overnight, then strain. It keeps in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.

10. certifiedfunds

Cool. I honestly didn't know. Assumed it was expresso chilled. Its really concentrated.

If you make it yourself it doesn't come in the handy Stabil dispenser bottle.

11. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

True. Years ago, Whole Foods or Alfalfa's (can't remember which) sold the same stuff in the same bottle with a different name.
    The Toddy gizmo has a handy carafe into which the "brew" container drains. It has a thick, dense fiber filter that eliminates all grit.

12. certifiedfunds

Could you cold brew this expresso type consistency at home you think?

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  13. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

Yes, I've been doing it for years, and you control the bean type/flavor and concentration.

14. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

There's no "x" in espresso.

I've brewed cold brew before. The wife loves it. I think it has no body. Acid=Body. Without some acid you get a thin cup with little depth to the flavor.

Looks like it may be worth trying for the wife, as she doesn't like to brew in the morning. She just uses Via. :(

15. VELO

VELO

Hey CF. :wavey:

I know that you're a healthy guy and take your fitness seriously with all the swimming and biking. I'm not here to tell you what to do. However, I wanted to share this information with you. Do with it as you wish....

How is sucralose (Splenda) made?

1. Sucrose is tritylated with trityl chloride in the presence of dimethylformamide and 4-methylmorpholine, and the tritylated sucrose is then acetylated with acetic anhydride.

2. The resulting sucrose molecule TRISPA is chlorinated with hydrogen chlorine in the presence of tolulene.

3. The resulting 4-PAS is heated in the presence of methyl isobutyl ketone and acetic acid.

4. The resulting 6-PAS is chlorinated with thionyl chloride in the presence of toluene and benzyltriethylammonium chloride.

5. The resulting TOSPA is treated with methanol in the presence of sodium methoxide to produce sucralose.” (Note that methanol, wood alcohol aka paint remover, is one of the questionable ingredients in aspartame.)

In addition, the bags and packets of Splenda commercially available are not pure sucralose. They also contain bulking agents. All artificial sweeteners use bulking agents. Do you know what they use? Sugar. Dextrose, sucrose, and maltodextrin. (Maltodextrin is corn syrup solids composed primarily from fructose and glucose in a starch form.) All sweetener packets are at least 96 percent sugar. Splenda is 99% sugar.

ETA: When I'm looking to sweeten something up I use "Sugar in the Raw". Yes, each packet contains 5 grams of carbs giving you 20 calories. But, it's an all natural product without the crazy chemical processing of sucralose. Also...

Though sucralose itself contains no calories, products that contain fillers, such as maltodextrin and/or dextrose, add approximately 2-4 Calories per teaspoon or individual packet, depending on the product, the fillers used, brand, and the intended use of the product. The FDA allows for any product containing less than 5 Calories per serving to be labeled as "zero calories".

For me, I'll take the 16-18 calories instead of the chemicals. As always, YMMV.

---VELO

16. Dennis in MA

I make it so fast and tactical, there is in mine. LOL

17. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

18. certifiedfunds

touche

19. certifiedfunds

Velo - I appreciate the heads up.

One of my degrees is in chemistry (the other in biology) so big scary chemical names don't concern me. Sucralose is completely safe. The chemical structure of sucrose is changed with chlorination so that your body can't digest it. It passes right through your digestive tract.

The maltodextrin is completely inconsequential and is the same thing you probably consume in your nutrition on the bike mixed up with lots of aqueous dihydrogen oxide. You probably take in a fair amount of chlorinated sodium on long rides too. You ever see what happens if you take pure sodium and put water on it?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqDWbknpiVk"]Sodium and Water - YouTube[/ame]

I know you mean well and I appreciate it. I've investigated Splenda and I'm 100% good with consuming it as desired.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/299583-how-is-sucrose-different-than-sucralose/

20. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

I've done cold-brew in a mason jar. Add your preferred amount of coffee, fill with water, cap, throw it in the fridge. In the morning, remove lid + ring, and use the ring to hold a standard coffee filter on the jar. Pour brewed coffee out, filter keeps grounds in the jar.