close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cooking Wild Game

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by SouthernGal, Jul 9, 2004.

1. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Started to post this over in the hunting and fishing forum, but who else here likes "wild" game?

Growing up in MS whatever Dad & Tooey shot in the field was usually featured on a table near you. Neither believed in killing for purposes of killing alone.

We still eat a lot of deer. Turkey, pheasant, quail, dove and duck when we can get it. My parents also do a lot of fishing (mom gets to participate in that one).

My favorite thing to do is marinade deer steaks or roast for at least 24 hours prior to cooking. My marinade is usually italian dressing made with balsamic vinegar (the dark, not the light), worchestershire sauce, lemon juice and Mrs. Dash. If we're doing a roast, we'll then take it and smoke it on a smoker and use a different "sauce" to baste it with. Roasts end up tasting like roast beef and I find them especially yummy on a sandwich with spicy honey mustard.

2. failsafe

failsafe

I used to deer hunt quite a bit, not so much anymore..One of the things that I noticed about the flavor of deer meat, was where you harvested it...Deer eating corn and the likes were very tasty...BUT if you were hunting in areas with dense foilage, most of the deer would eat acorns...and the taste was bitter...
    Also I would have my deer meat processed, and would have them put some beef soot in my deerburger...Otherwise it is so dry it will not stick together....

3. JohniusMaximus

JohniusMaximus

I cook wild game all the time. Deer is a favorite but turkey, dove, quail, and rabbit are good too. There isn't much I don't like, honestly.

The toughest part of cooking for me is preparing deer. You've got to get every little bit of silverskin and fat off the meat or you get a pretty nasty taste when it's done. But once I get that done I really prefer venison over beef.

I'd have to say one of my favorite ways to cook venison is just to grill it like a steak. Most people claim it dries out too quickly, but if you sear it fast on both sides and keep it rare to medium it does just fine. I just wish I were a good enough hunter to keep the freezer filled with venison all the time. I'd probably give up beef totally.

4. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

No wonder you're eating deer like I normally would--to the point of preferring it over beef.

I've never seen a season as flooded with deer as this last season was. All up and down I-55 there were carcasses of dead ones that had been hit by vehicles. Sometimes I'd seen as many as 3 and 4 a day. Most of the relatives and friends I had who hunted this last season got at least 3 or more, which was good for me because they shared their meat with me.

I usually take that marinade and put my steak in it and let it sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours. I also cook mine to med-rare so it isn't like whitleather (I can't stand a well done steak of any type of meat).

You're right about that silver stuff. If you leave it on there you just about can't bite through it.

Some of the worst meat I got was from a deer that had been shot but didn't die instantly. Instead he ran and it took a hunter with dogs to find him once he gave it up. That meat had been spoiled in spots and it tasted just like dirt. Man was it ever bad!

5. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

i have a whole freezer full of deer, i usually throw a roast in the crock pot with some potatos and carrots & pepper & salt & onions, when i get home from work at 5:00, it's all ready to go. fresh ground pepper. I will never go back to the pre-ground pepper.