Cooking for the Holidays?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KravGirl, Nov 2, 2004.

1. KravGirl

KravGirl

Hello Girls!
    Although I am not hosting Thanksgiving or Christmas this year at my house, I will be making some special recipes anyway.
    I LOVE to COOK and I LOVE to EAT!!!

Just wondering if anyone wanted to share some entertaining ideas.

I volunteered to do appetizers for this Turkey Day (it will only be six adults and one teenage this year). They do the traditional Thansgiving fare (and do it really well)...so I wanted to do one hot and one cold appetizer that would be yummy but not too terribly filling. Here are my ideas:
    1.) Belgian Endive with Smoked Trout and Almonds (I mash up the trout and mix it with cream cheese and a little sour cream...top with slivered, toasted almonds and chives)
    2.) Blue Cheese Toasts (bauguette slices topped with blue cheese and crushed walnuts, put until the broiler til bubbly and hot).

Whaddya think? Yummy, or too much?

2. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

#2 sounds good.

Look into some Marinated Stuffed Portobellos as a meatless appetizer. You use breadcrumbs and other stuff (cheese etc) to stuff with. Alas I don't have a recipe for the mushies...try epicurious.com though.

3. KravGirl

KravGirl

Hi Vic! Thanks for the idea. I have made stuffed mushrooms before, and they are yummy and easy and make/cook/reheat. Good thinking about the meatless thing...with all of the turkey, etc. would be good to stay veggie.

Are you hosting the holidays this year?

4. gypsyroverco

gypsyroverco

I do stuff similar to both of those--

with Belgian endive I do an olive tapenade that is super easy but impresses everyone--three cans of black olives, a jar of sundried tomatoes in oil and extra olive oil if needed for consistency. Looks super gourmet but really takes about 5 minutes in the food processor!

I love the blue cheese toasts, but what I do to make it easy is do the cheese and walnuts in a heat-safe dish with a little honey. Warm it up and people can spread their own toasts.

With your combination (or these) you could change it just a little and make it much easier for yourself, probably more appealing to some (I haven't been too successful getting younger folks to chow down on endive--but I can't get enough of it) and people have lots of options. I would use the "dips" with baguette, endive and maybe some celery and just pile it all together and let people have at it. Arrange the goodies on a round platter in concentric circles and put the rest in pretty bowls with some cute holiday spreaders, and it looks like you did something really festive!

I still don't know if I'm doing Thanksgiving this year or not. I don't think the details have been finalized, I know that no matter what my boiyfriend will want to do our own turkey...for the leftovers! Beyond that, I guess he'll let me konw what he figures out with friends and family. Wouldn't it be funny if I made my own plans since his won't be done until oh--the night before? ;)

gypsy

5. KravGirl

KravGirl

Gypsy - I like the honey with the blue cheese idea.

Thanks for sharing~

6. Dinky

Dinky Numpty

and don't forget the Garlic;Q

7. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Moderator

Meat.

Potatoes.

Chocolate stuff for desert.

:cool:

8. forthehalibut

forthehalibut

I liked #1. Since I hat bleu cheese, #2 is definitely out.

At my sister's house last Christmas, they served cajun shrimp, along with the traditional fare. I hate shrimp, too, but everyone else enjoyed it immensely. It was a nice addition to the meal;)

Just as long as you have some dead critter cooked up succulently, makes little difference to me.:cool:

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Or you could skip the meat n' taters and just eat chocolate! ;e

10. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

;z

Spoken like a true woman!

(While Glockgirl26 unwraps a candy bar)

11. reinbeau

reinbeau

Give me chocolate and no one gets hurt!;f

Turkey with cornbread and sausage stuffing, Red Zinfandel cranberry sauce, some kind of potatoes (haven't decided yet) and White Chocolate Raspberry Swirl cheesecake are what I'm making, others are making the veggies (The God-Awful Green Beans is a perennial favorite), I have Thanksgiving at my house every year for my extended family. My house is a mess, I have to work through Wednesday, but somehow I'm gonna do it! :cool: