Cookies for breakfast

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Wayward Son, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Wayward Son

Wayward Son

My 12 year old boxer 'Chopper' is having some health issues, losing weight, not wanting to eat dog food, constant panting when he's up and around and now he's started gagging to the point of not being able to breathe. Last night he had a bout of gagging then went to bed and slept peacefully through the night. Started gagging again this AM so we're headed to the vet again. I took him to the vet on Tuesday and all his blood tests were normal. In 2011 we had his enlarged thyroid removed and it was cancerous. I'm hoping the cancer hasn't resurfaced in his throat for a couple of reasons, one I don't want him to have cancer and two, he can't stand anymore surgeries. After his last surgery I was off work for two weeks treating his eyes with antibiotics to save them from the damage the anesthesia did to them.
    I know his time is short and I want to make the rest of his life as enjoyable as possible so this morning I fed him a bowl of dog treats for breakfast.

2. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

If he's really sick, put him down.

Don't drag out the animal's misery to save your own emotions.

FLIPPER 348 likes this.

3. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Ancient Member Millennium Member

My last dog, who had reached 18 years, was literally staying alive for me. She could barely move, was blind and deaf and in constant pain. I did the right thing, and most the painful thing I have ever done.

She now rests peacefully, in Dog Heaven, waiting for me.

Do the right thing...

FLIPPER 348 likes this.
  4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Why not? I mean, it isn't like they sell it as bfst cereal. . .

[​IMG]

5. janice6

janice6

I'm so sorry for you having to face this. My critter means the world to me too. You have my sympathies in whatever you have to do.

When my dog had problems eating I started doling out treats to him. Only the treats were just nuggets of dry dog food, the same stuff he eats (or is supposed to eat) from the can.

He really believes that the dry dog food nuggets are something special, because I ration them out as treats and rewards for anything he does that pleases me (and sometimes, anything he does).

Anyway, he would do anything to get the treats, even eating his canned dog food.

Oh; I started this because he is on a prescription dog food for a serious ailment and regular treats were out of the question.

Life isn't what you think it is.

6. plp

plp

Good for you, let him know just how special he is to you. If he is on the downward spiral, you may not want to admit it, but you know what you know.

If the vet says it is going to be diminishing returns, make his time here memorable, he will let you know when it is time.

It is the hardest thing to do, but when each day is a misery for him, it is time to send him on to the next level. I believe dogs earn a certain karma factor just for being what and who they are, some more than others.

7. Wayward Son

Wayward Son

Took the old boy to the vet today with the intentions of helping him on his way but I wanted to know for sure what was wrong with him (didn't want to put him down because he had something lodged in or scratched his throat) before making this very tough decision. We ran an EKG on him and did chest x ray's. What we found was fluid in his lungs. The vet thinks with proper medications he can prolong his life and keep the quality of his life up so we are going that rout for the time being.
    Before taking him to the vet I was saying my goodbyes and I'll admit, bawling like a baby when Chopper reached out with his paw, placing it on my forearm and looked me square in the eyes like he was telling me it would be alright. Damn, made my eyes tear up typing that last bit.

8. Koba

Koba

The right heart meds can do quite a bit actually, and he could get some quality time. I hope they help him :)

9. plp

plp

Good news for certain.

On the other side of the equation, my mom took her 19 year old blind cat to the vet, who gave her a clean bill of health, said internals seemed to be doing fine, hearing was spot on and other than blindness said she looked great for a cat her age.

We have been waiting for this evil beast to die now for 5 years, ever since she went blind after kidney surgery. She was a spiteful little pain before, now will utilize her sensory powers and manage to scratch whomever or whatever she wants and gets to play the old blind cat card.

She isn't fooling anybody.

10. Koba

Koba

Yes but she's a cat....our clinic cat bites (not hard but still) and swipes at us daily and we still like her :p

11. Wayward Son

Wayward Son

Chopper went to doggie heaven today. He died in the arms of his loving family.
    Thank you all for your thoughts.

mrmedina likes this.
  12. JMS

JMS 02

Ever wonder why you're single?

r3dot and Joshhtn like this.
  13. janice6

janice6

I'm sorry you lost your pack member. It's always hard and should be. I love critters.

I told my son I couldn't bear to have a dog that lived a short time and then lose it. But I have a dog that is now 12 years old and have become so attached over a longer time, that it is very difficult too. The last one lived to be 18. That's as long as raising a child.

There is no way to mitigate the loss, but it is important to get a new love in your life.

Condolences.

14. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

15. jfost11

jfost11

Sorry for your loss.

16. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I'm very sorry for your loss.
    I understand the pain. I've been through it many times and it get's harder every time.

There is one thing that defines a good person, how they take care of their animals.

Sir, you are a good person.

17. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Man, I sure hate to hear that. It was just Chopper's time to go.

May he rest in peace.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  18. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

RIP for your best(man's)friend.

19. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

Sorry to hear that. Our 13 y.o.pit had to be put down a few years ago. he too, like your buddy, couldn't even walk anymore. he was diagnosed with some sort of blood cancer. it got so bad at the end that we had him in a harness and had to literally pick him up to put him outside. and that was no easy feat dragging a 70 pound pit around the yard.
    My dad and I took him to the vet to put him down, it was his time. I loved that dog to death, he was my best friend. That was one of the hardest things I've had to do.

Sympathies are with you.

20. r3dot

r3dot

I'm sorry to hear :( boxers are great dogs and it's unfortunate that the cancer rate is so high in them. I welcomed this boxer pup into the family last month. She's been great. I hope you can rescue a pup in his memory at some point.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441917211.815764.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deputy tom likes this.