close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cooked a roast in a crock pot tonight

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by major, Mar 12, 2006.

1. major

major Rejected member

My wife and I fixed this meal this morning and left it in the crock pot all day. Wow, was it good!

We took a roast and put it into a crock pot. We cut up an onion, then added some carrots, celery and potatoes. We put in a can of beef broth, a can of cream of celery soup, and a cup of coffee left over from breakfast. Then we added a little water, a pack of onion soup mix, and a dash of Worcestershire. We cooked it all day and ate it tonight.

Someone else told me about adding coffee and said it helped tenderize the meat. It did not add any coffee taste to it though.

2. RunsWithScissor

RunsWithScissor Nice Grouping

And after you have the roast, strain the juices that were left and make French Onion Soup - almost better than the roast !!!

;+

3. noway

noway

Even better, take the leftover liquid put them in a plastic or glass bowl and into the refrig, after it has chilled the fat will collect at the top. Scrap the fats away , strain and THEN you have a base for a good soup.

4. RunsWithScissor

RunsWithScissor Nice Grouping

Okay, I was going say how I strain it, chill it and then strain again, but I thought it sounded a little compulsive.

And Lord knows, I don't want anybody to know I'm compulsive.

;a ;a ;a

5. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

I always brown my roast in a skillet before I put it in the crockpot......pour water in the skillet after browning and get all the good stuff off the pan and dump it in the cp too.

6. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

Coffee ain't gonna tenderize anything compared to leaving it in a crockpot for 8 hours! The slow, moist heat melts all the collogen and connective tissues, which starts at about 160 degrees. That's why BBQ is done at about 200 degrees.

-Stooxie

7. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

mrs.jawja and I have had a ton of good meals from a crock pot. Seasonings(that YOU like) are the key to really good eats versus soso eats.

8. major

major Rejected member

Well, after thinking about it, I believe you're right. So what does the coffee do? Or did we just add it for nothing?
    Seriously, if it doesn't add anything, I can just leave it out next time.

9. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

I don't know what in coffee could possibly tenderize meat, aside from the acid and there's nowhere near enough to have that effect. Not even Starbucks dark roast!

On the other hand, coffee is used as a flavoring in all sorts of dishes. Did it hurt? Not at all! Coffee can add a nice bitterness and complexity to all sorts of things. Much like adding Guiness to a beef stew.

-Stooxie

10. noway

noway

ditto

crockpots are known for cooking meats at a slow heat and cooking proccess also tenderize the toughtest cuts ;)

11. Blueyedog2

Blueyedog2

The way I like to tenderize a roast is to soak it in beer the night before cooking it. Whether roasting or cooking it in the crockpot, it adds a great taste and makes it nice, tender and juicy.

Always get your cow drunk before cooking. ;a